Question about April 30th Traffic Rules

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yasuo23

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a little confused about what I am supposed to be doing. I currently have one acceptance with multiple waitlists that I want to wait on. Should I have this school selected as my plan to enroll right now and not select commit to enroll when April 30th comes? Or can I just leave my plan to enroll unselected? I just dont want to accidentally lose an acceptance or commit too early while I wait to hear back from other schools

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Short answer: Select plan to enroll at your selected school, stay on any number of waitlists you want until your “PTE” school has their commit to enroll deadline, select commit to enroll and remove yourself from waitlists

Long answer: some schools have varying PTE deadlines and so you may or may not have to select plan to enroll, given this is your only acceptance so far and that most schools have a plan to enroll deadline of April 30th, the safe move is to just select that option. This selection does not stop you from remaining on waitlists or even accepting an acceptance offer from one of your waitlists in the future. Every school also has different commit to enroll deadlines. Some in mid June, some later in July. When your respective school’s deadline comes, you have to commit and withdraw from the waitlists, and if you don’t you risk losing your reserved seat in the class. Some schools you’re waitlisted at might have CTE deadlines before your “accepted school”, so you might not have to withdraw, they’ll probably just say the class is full.

Reactions: 3 users
Short answer: Select plan to enroll at your selected school, stay on any number of waitlists you want until your “PTE” school has their commit to enroll deadline, select commit to enroll and remove yourself from waitlists

Long answer: some schools have varying PTE deadlines and so you may or may not have to select plan to enroll, given this is your only acceptance so far and that most schools have a plan to enroll deadline of April 30th, the safe move is to just select that option. This selection does not stop you from remaining on waitlists or even accepting an acceptance offer from one of your waitlists in the future. Every school also has different commit to enroll deadlines. Some in mid June, some later in July. When your respective school’s deadline comes, you have to commit and withdraw from the waitlists, and if you don’t you risk losing your reserved seat in the class. Some schools you’re waitlisted at might have CTE deadlines before your “accepted school”, so you might not have to withdraw, they’ll probably just say the class is full.
Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Note to self: I need to digest all these CYMS threads at some point.

On May 1, I need to know where my committed students stand. I want all my committed applicants (those with offers) at least to PTE to my program so I have a decent idea how full my class is by orientation. This would also help me anticipate waitlist movement.

For those who don't PTE or CTE, I would check up with other units like financial aid to see if you have submitted your FAFSA (oops) or attended any transitional/yield events or been active on the GroupMe/Discord chats.

If you have already accepted an offer but haven't declared PTE, I likely have an email ready to go (now) for a check-in to declare PTE and remind you of the CTE deadline. If you haven't been active anywhere else (and my "AI bot" should be helpful here), I may reach out to see if you are still serious.

So if you want to hold on to your offer and remain open for the other waitlists, you should declare PTE. As a smart admissions professional (I hope), I would presume the only reason you wouldn't pick CTE is that you are still waiting on other schools on waitlist movement. Your other activities with financial aid or housing will signal to me if you are likely to come.

Reactions: 1 user
Reactions: 1 users