Question about state residency.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TayChic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to these boards, so this question has probably been asked and answered several times, so please excuse the redundancy. Anyways, I was wondering... If someone applies to an out of state public med school (Indiana resident applying to University of Kentucky, or something like that for example), could the applicant gain residency for the state they are attending med school after one year? How does that work? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I WISH! Sorry, but unfortunately that isnt how it works, most schools ave in the mid 20k/year for out of staters and you are more or less out of state until you graduate. There are few exceptions from school to school, like accepting people from neighboring states and regions(not in your case however, as this mainly applys to the west where some states dont have med schools). There are also exceptions for military folks and stuff like that as well, but generally if you apply out of state, you are going to stay out of state. I dont know of one exception, which is Colorado state. They make you a resident after one year...the catch? The first year costs a whopping 56K.

I think some states will consider you a resident after a year if you buy property in the state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that really true about Colorado? My fiance is from Colorado and would do anything to move back there. I figured that 56k for four years was out of the question, but it might be worth it if I only have to pay the high cost for one year.

It really depends on each school -- people at UCSF swear that you can become a resident in 1-2 years, and some other states (like Texas) have a set of recommended guidelines, but really leave it up to the schools to determine residency status. And some state schools will offer "scholarships" to out-of-state students, essentially only charging them in-state tuition. I'm not sure where you could really find all this information -- it might be best just to call the schools you think you are interested in.

Also, keep in mind that it may not be worthwhile for you to apply to many state medical schools because the majority of them only accept their state residents. You can research this in the MSAR.

You can become a CA resident after living here only one year. When I interviewed at the UC Berkelely optometry school they were really trying to sell this point to the out of state applicants.

In Texas you're out of state all four years. (people asked about this when I interviewed there). So, it definetly varies from state to state. I'd recommend calling the admissions offices of out of state school's you're interested in to find out their out of state policy.
GOOD LUCK! :D

Residency determination policies for state colleges and universities are established by state legislatures. Those policies vary from state to state.

Originally posted by cpw:
•You can become a CA resident after living here only one year. When I interviewed at the UC Berkelely optometry school they were really trying to sell this point to the out of state applicants.

In Texas you're out of state all four years. (people asked about this when I interviewed there). So, it definetly varies from state to state. I'd recommend calling the admissions offices of out of state school's you're interested in to find out their out of state policy.
GOOD LUCK! :D

cpw,

In Texas the situation is a little more complicated than the way you describe it. In general, you are are correct that you would be considered an out of state person all four years of med school and thus be subject to paying out of state tuition. But two med schools that I know of, Baylor and UTSW, deviate from that. Baylor College of Medicine will let you obtain Texas residency status if you buy a house or condo and live there for one year.

UT-Southwestern also offers some of its outstanding out of state applicants status as a Texas resident with the corresponding in-state tuition.

The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board sets guidelines for state residency status for college students, but they are just that, guidelines. The guidelines officially state that you cannot become a Texas resident unless you live and work in Texas for an entire year WITHOUT attending school. Since these are just guidelines and not laws, each school is basically free to do anything it wants to when determing state residency status. Most schools in Texas will not deviate from the guidelines set down by the THECB, but Baylor and UTSW are notorious exceptions.

Originally posted by TayChic:
•(Indiana resident applying to University of Kentucky, or something like that for example)•

First of all, we don't need no stinkin' Hoosiers down here in Wildcat country! ;)

Punkin2-

Yes, it is _absolutely_ true that you gain Colorado residency after one year at their medical school. The residency requirements for the state are incredibly simple, just live here for 12 months and you're a resident. So, if you attend medical school, it's one year at 56k and three more at 14k. The rationale is that the total amount is roughly the same as four years at a private school or most out-of-state tuitions at other public schools.

Funny you say that Jamier2, because I have lived in Kentucky for 19 years!!! I was just using that as an example. hahaha!!! :D :D :D :D :D

well here is a question.... What if someone rents out an appartment for one full year before they apply to school? Would they be a resident then???

Originally posted by TayChic:
•well here is a question.... What if someone rents out an appartment for one full year before they apply to school? Would they be a resident then???•

Again, it depends on the state. You'd have to call the school you're interested in to find out... and be pretty darn sure you're going to get in!! ;)