Questions for University of Miami students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiamiMarmot

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I have two questions. (1) Does UM have a White Coat ceremony. (2) Does anyone know about housing in the Brickell or Miami Beach areas? I'm looking to get a studio in one of these areas, and I was wondering if anyone knew of some nice buildings to check out.

Peace,

Marmot

Members don't see this ad.

No white coat ceremony that I know of. It doesn't really make sense at Miami since you start doing clinical work your first year. That could have changed recently - I'm not sure.
As to apt.
Here's an email I got today. Sounds good.

I wanted to let you all know about a great deal on a condo for rent out on Key Biscayne.

It's a 2BR/2BA condo, 1100 sq. ft. on the ground floor, with walk-in
closets, tile floors, completely renovated with all new appliances, and has
private beach access (5 minutes walk to ocean). Other amenities include
pool, local shops, community center and park. Price is
$1600/mo (negotiable) and includes cable, water, trash, and parking.

If you're interested, please reply to Luis del Valle at the email/numbers below ASAP! The condo must be rented within the week.

Luis del Valle
[email protected]

I'm getting lots of emails about apartments from other students. I'll send them to you in your private message box.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi gatormed,

I will also be starting at UM this year. Could you send me a list of the properties as well? Thanks very much.

scrubs41

Isn't Miami's equivalent to the "White Coat Ceremony" termed "The Royal Pinning" (or something like that?!?) held sometime in the Winter, freshman year?

Here are a couple of more housing emails.

Looking For Four Female Medical Students
35 SW 20th Road
4 Bedrooms/3 Bathrooms
Cable & Water Include
$650 - $800 per Bedroom
Large Living Room and Dinning Room
Full Backyard
New Bathrooms & Kitchen
2 Refrigerators
If Interested Call Lavina @ 305-342-5211

Brickell Area

36 SW 20 Road
Rooms to rent yearly and share with other medical student in a Big
House.
Available for Male medical student. 10 minutes away
Good Parking. Safe Zone, Utility included, Furnished
$550.00 per month

Ask for Sandra 305-285-0953

I love miami- the city- and therefore I am applying to the school :cool: . any thoughts on the culture at the school and how about us out-of-staters- should i bother?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by bond007md:
•I love miami- the city- and therefore I am applying to the school :cool: . any thoughts on the culture at the school and how about us out-of-staters- should i bother?•••••Actually, starting from this past year, Miami has been accepting more out of state students...b/c they are trying to gain more national prominence like universities like Duke. Hinkley(the dean) said they have now reserved a certain # of seats for just out of state students...so I would say go for it! :)

I am hoping I can get some help from any UM students out there. I just got the health form with the vaccines we need, and am not sure if we are required to have the titers listed. Can anyone help?? Thanks.

I didn't have any titers buy I matriculated 3 years ago.

I haven't completed the health form yet. Forgive me, but could you explain what titers are?

Titers are tests for antibodies. It's a way to determine if you have had immunizations and if they have been effective at producing the desired immune response.