Recruiters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

se80

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all....Anyone work with some of the big west coast recruiter groups out there??? Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

I would avoid recruiters like the plague if I were you. Head-hunters get up to $30,000 for recruiting a physician for a hospital. The ER group or hospital would much rather give a portion of that money to you and save themselves that bill.

You can actually DECREASE your chance at getting a job by talking to a recruiter, because if they present you to the ER director, then the director is obligated to pay them. You may be less likely to be hired if the Director has 2 applicants and has to pay a $30,000 fee just to get you, and the other person is "free".

Some hospitals have an individual who is THE physician recruiter for the hospital, and help the ER group as well. Some ER groups have contracts with recruiter firms, and some ER groups don't use recruiters at all. Some advertise in throw-away magazines.

Sometimes, you contact an individual director, who then directs you to a recruiter firm to set up an interview.

1. Look at an area where you want to work and contact the individual hospitals in that area. Ask for the physician recruiter or human resources and they should know the appropriate person to contact to see if there are jobs, whether that is the ED director themself or another individual.

2. You can get quite the run around trying to go through a big hospital's human resource person, as they often don't know who the ER director. You can bypass this by using ACEP's website- http://www.acep.org/ACEPmembership.aspx?id=43238

The problem with the ACEP website is that it doesn't say where individual groups staff, so you have to contact the head of the group and find out from them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a "head hunter" and a "recruiter" are two different things. A "head hunter" has no ties with a certain group and are usually the ones who get the big bucks for matching physicians with a hospital/group, but that group/hospital can hire without the head hunter. A "recruiter" has ties with a specific group (Emcare, Teamhealth, etc.) and only try to bring in people for that particular group, and usually the only way to get a job with that group/hospital is to go through one of their recruiters; they usually don't make huge bonuses like head hunters do either. This is based on my experience getting a job over the last couple of months, so again correct me if I'm wrong....

Members don't see this ad :)
My company (ApolloMD) employs in-house recruiters who are salaried with commission bonuses. You can't get a job with us without going through one of our recruiters. Contact a medical director directly, and we'll refer you to a recruiter.

Ah ha, a potentially very informative thread... How would a soon-to-be-grad tell the difference between a "head hunter" and a "recruiter" prospectively?

When I was in charge of recruiting for my private group - we would essentially ignore anyone brought our attention by headhunters

1 -It would cost us at least 30K

2. The job market for BC EMs is a fairly small, very accessible world. Its essentially a huge red flag if physician was unable to do a little research and make a few calls/emails regarding such a critical issue as their future employment

My advice - unless you have something to hide or are having a really tough time getting a job - stay away from headhunters