Research WITHIN a broad specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

little_giant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I am interested in a broad field like internal medicine lets say or GS, both of which have so many different subspecialties within, would it look better for a med student to have research in one specific subspecialty (like multiple pubs or projects on cardiology) to demonstrate a specific goal and your passion for it? Or would having research in lets say GI + cardio + allergy/immuno (all of which are subspecialties of IM) be equally valued for residency?

Also I know any research is good for IM, but then what about GS where someone can do research in bariatric, colorectal, CT, etc.

I know I want to go into that broad field and subspecialize, but I'm just not sure into what

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend doing research on something you're interested in. Not necessarily to show interest as much as to help you stay motivated; research can get tedious otherwise.

Reactions: 1 user
That is why I am doing these different things! They all sound interesting to me and I like the field because it is so broad and has many future options to pursue

Research in general is good. Research in a specific field is certainly better than research in other fields, but it is leagues above having no research at all. Most programs that emphasize research are interested in recruiting individuals who are able to contribute to a project in a meaningful way and translate that into a project. Most attendings are smart enough to realize that medical students switch specialties at the last minute - and will care first and foremost about your ability to produce.

Long story short - dont get too caught up on the specialty that you are doing research in. Get involved with projects and carry them through to completion. Being able to demonstrate this is infinitely more important than your area of research.

Reactions: 1 user