Retaking a 521 (expiration)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got an II this morning at a school where my MCAT was technically expired by 3 months. Should I assume that they know this and I was granted some sort of exception? I’m confused and actually just realized it expired at this school. Don’t want to make a big thing of it and contact admissions if it’s likely that they already know about it?

Members don't see this ad.

I got an II this morning at a school where my MCAT was technically expired by 3 months. Should I assume that they know this and I was granted some sort of exception? I’m confused and actually just realized it expired at this school. Don’t want to make a big thing of it and contact admissions if it’s likely that they already know about it?
Snitches get stiches, don't 6ix9ine yourself

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It’s all fun and games until OP gets can acceptance rescinded.
TBH, I can see an acceptance being rescinded because something comes back on Certiphi that a school did not feel was adequately or accurately disclosed on an application, but I really cannot see a school waking up at the 11th hour and rescinding an acceptance due to a mistake it made with respect to 3 months on a MCAT test date.

In fact, if OP doesn't bring it to their attention, what would even cause them to go back and look after extending an acceptance? And, this is assuming OP isn't the one making the mistake with respect to the expiration date. After all, how many schools are unaware of, or don't enforce, their own expiration dates when processing applications?

Schools can view it anyway that want. In this case the school (maybe all schools) might place the responsibility on the applicant to meet all requirementments, including a valid MCAT score. So who knows what will happen. I’m interested in what happens in this whole series of events affecting this person.

Some schools would probably not understand because it doesn’t expire at all schools. Goro says that anything above 515 or so shouldn’t ever be retaken. So I was more wondering how to explain it
Don't worry about it. I had to retake a 523 due to expiration (didn't apply to medical schools for 3 and half years after the first try, and then I decided all of a sudden that I wanted to do medicine really bad). No need to explain at all.

Schools can view it anyway that want. In this case the school (maybe all schools) might place the responsibility on the applicant to meet all requirementments, including a valid MCAT score. So who knows what will happen. I’m interested in what happens in this whole series of events affecting this person.
I don’t expect to get in here anyway. I would love to, just a high reach. Low post II acceptance rate

I’m up to 6 II now which defied my expectations coming in and I still have ~35 outstanding applications. I hope that I can get into one but who knows how committees will see red flags once they’re together. I think that it will be important to have a supporter/advocate vouch for me at that stage.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Based on reading your initial post outlining your situation, you would be wasting your time and money retaking the MCAT at this point. It's not what is holding you back from an acceptance, clearly. And just because it is going to expire at schools doesn't merit retaking it, as your questionable past is what is holding you back from those schools anyway.

You probably should go out of your way to prove you actually care about others before reapplying to medical schools. Dedicating the next year or two of your life volunteering would help make up for some of your past moral shortcomings (think Teach For America, Peace Corps, etc.). That may be your best shot if the AdComs at schools where you have IIs do indeed reject you once looking at your application in its entirety following the interview as you've alluded to previously.

Best of luck to you.

• Love
My MCAT score will expire at a large portion of allopathic schools this cycle. Since, I have already decided to reapply one more time, I was wondering how to go about retaking the MCAT. Not sure if there would be enough schools where it doesn’t expire to apply broadly enough.

I know that a golden rule on here is not to retake a 516+ but would there be an exception in this case due to expiry. I’m also not too confident in my abilities to score higher than my original. How bad would it be to get a drop in score.Need to start studying early because I can only do it on weekends.

Where’s the best place to look for an up to date and accurate list of MCAT expiration dates for all US medical schools?

What are the beginning and end points of a MCAT expiration date range? The date you take the MCAT and the date you matriculate or the date you apply?

Where’s the best place to look for an up to date and accurate list of MCAT expiration dates for all US medical schools?

What are the beginning and end points of a MCAT expiration date range? The date you take the MCAT and the date you matriculate or the date you apply?
It’s in MSAR and will say “oldest accepted MCAT”

I would never presume to speak for the great @Goro, but, speaking for myself, you are misconstruing what @WedgeDawg did with the calculator. He assigned a value to a MCAT range that is subsequently weighted and combined with 9 other variables to calculate an index that is then meant to be used to suggest a mix of schools to apply to. To extrapolate that to assume that the arbitrary MCAT range cutoffs he used for that purpose implies that adcoms at any particular school use the same cutoffs to evaluate candidates is to misunderstand what WARS is all about.

Aren't you the one who posted on the Duke thread that the admissions dean told you that 510+ is all treated the same? :laugh: Trust us -- 519/521 is not a distinction that drives admissions decisions, anywhere. Too many other things go into how a file is scored for MCAT differences within the test's margin of error to mean life or death for anyone, anywhere, arbitrary break points in clever school selection tools notwithstanding.
Why not if a GPA of 3.9 is deemed materially superior to a GPA of 3.8?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not if a GPA of 3.9 is deemed materially superior to a GPA of 3.8?
I dunno. Maybe because, with grade inflation, and with 3.73 being the average GPA of matriculants, there is a huge difference between a 3.8 and a 3.9 in terms of what percentile of applicants each GPA represents, while there is literally a 1%-ile difference between a 519 and a 521, which is immaterial, especially at that end of the bell curve (97%-ile vs. 98%-ile)?

The MCAT equivalent to the difference between a 3.8 and 3.9 would be the difference between something like a 514 and a 524, not 519 and 521. 519 vs. 521 is more like the difference between 3.89 and 3.91. Do you think that's material to adcoms?

Last edited:
All GPAs aren’t created equally. A 3.9 at MIT is not judged as the same as a 3.9 from any school

I dunno. Maybe because, with grade inflation, and with 3.73 being the average GPA of matriculants, there is a huge difference between a 3.8 and a 3.9 in terms of what percentile of applicants each GPA represents, while there is literally a 1%-ile difference between a 519 and a 521, which is immaterial, especially at that end of the bell curve (97%-ile vs. 98%-ile)? The MCAT equivalent to the difference between a 3.8 and 3.9 would be the difference between a 524 and a 514.
There’s also a big difference in grading standards at different schools and in the difficulty of coursework taken by different applicants.

There’s also a big difference in grading standards at different schools and in the difficulty of coursework taken by different applicants.
Meaning what? That maybe there isn't a big difference between a 3.8 and a 3.9, depending on the "grading standards at different schools and in the difficulty of coursework taken by different applicants"?

I'm not sure why you introduced GPAs into the discussion, and sent us down that rabbit hole, but there is still no material difference to an adcom between a 97%-ile MCAT and a 98%-ile MCAT, regardless of grade inflation at Harvard or grade deflation at MIT or Berkeley, or whether or not there is a material difference between a 3.8 at one school and a 3.9 at another. There is no material difference between a 519 and a 521, no matter what school you went to. :)

I think it probably has to do with caliber of the avg MIT student vs. avg Berkeley student.

The WARS criteria, as well as the LizzyM score, are rules of thumb, not laws of physics.
So much so that it has been emphasized multiple times that they are useless metrics for some applicants (See: reapplicants, reinventors, non-trads, etc.)

• Love
So much so that it has been emphasized multiple times that they are useless metrics for some applicants (See: reapplicants, reinventors, non-trads, etc.)
The LizzyM score is just a simplistic index combining MCAT and GPA. It's as valuable or useless as those two numbers individually. WARS has been co-opted by us to become something it was not originally designed to be. It's an index meant to help curate a school list. It's not supposed to be gospel regarding your strength as an applicant, although that is certainly how it is seemingly used nowadays.

The LizzyM score is just a simplistic index combining MCAT and GPA. It's as valuable or useless as those two numbers individually. WARS has been co-opted by us to become something it was not originally designed to be. It's an index meant to help curate a school list. It's not supposed to be gospel regarding your strength as an applicant, although that is certainly how it is seemingly used nowadays.
That is actually an excellent point. I've known about the wars for years and always thought of it as the latter but you're completely right.

So, you're basically admitting that you're trolling?
Some schools have very rapid turnarounds. People who interviewed a week ago will hear back today. Often these schools will say that applicants won’t hear back until late October or early November so they are not inundated with calls today.

Some schools have very rapid turnarounds. People who interviewed a week ago will hear back today. Often these schools will say that applicants won’t hear back until late October or early November so they are not inundated with calls today.
Okay, sounds reasonable, but, will you admit that making a post on the first day As are released saying you haven't received any As, then being told to chill because it's only 10AM, and then responding that you don't think your schools are releasing As today, but you were hoping to receive one anyway, sounds like a troll post to the average layperson? :cool:

Does not receiving an A by mid-morning that you weren't expecting to receive anyway, because you were told they wouldn't be released on that day, but were hoping to maybe receive, really warrant a post on the day many people WERE told As would be released?

Get off of SDN for awhile
Probably should but such an anticlimactic end of the week. Wanted to keep some momentum going into mid October after an II Monday morning but nothing since.

does that mean you got acceptances but you didn't accept them? bold move cotton
Lol no I’d be fine with going to any of the schools I interviewed/applied

Just feel a little bit down when I see some people with 15+ interviews, multiple acceptance

Last edited:
Probably should but such an anticlimactic end of the week. Wanted to keep some momentum going into mid October after an II Monday morning but nothing since.

Just feel a little bit down when I see some people with 15+ interviews, multiple acceptance

Update: Got another II this morning but still no acceptance :bang:

Update: Got another II this morning but still no acceptance :bang:
lol, I love by how one by one your worries slowly change. Started out with 0 IIs in early August and thought it was over for you. After 3 IIs you thought it was over. Now you're at 8 IIs (?) and think no chance of acceptance.

Come on man, things clearly going your way, just a little slowly.

lol, I love by how one by one your worries slowly change. Started out with 0 IIs in early August and thought it was over for you. After 3 IIs you thought it was over. Now you're at 8 IIs (?) and think no chance of acceptance.

Come on man, things clearly going your way, just a little slowly.
I have 9 now but yes moving goalposts. That’s how I’ve always been. Once one worry is over, start worrying about next thing. Terrible trait to have

Someone with 15+ interviews is a unicorn, don't compare yourself to those individuals. Pre-meds are neurotic (myself included) and even by @Goro's advice we are to always prepare for re-application until an acceptance is in hand. That being said you're in an extremely coveted position of having NINE IIs. Even myself at 4 should count my lucky stars. Despite neither of us having an acceptance yet, the odds are increasingly in our favor of getting an acceptance past 3 IIs. Breathe and realize that there are people who don't even have a single II yet. Many of those same people will be matriculating with you next year. The cycle is long and we should try to be patient (as hard as that is). Congratulations so far, there may be more IIs to come for both of us!

I have 9 now but yes moving goalposts. That’s how I’ve always been. Once one worry is over, start worrying about next thing. Terrible trait to have
Honestly your application must be absolutely stunning to have such a serious IA but still have at least one T10 school interested in you. Congrats.

Are the schools interviewing you similar in "mission" or are they basically drawn to your stats?

Got another waitlist after 2 interview invites yesterday. This is getting so frustrating. What good is inviting me to interview, if the convictions and IAs are not going to be viewed until after the interview?? That is the only rational explanation between number of interviews and acceptances. Most people on here with 12+ interviews have been accepted to 4 schools at this point. I have 0. And of course it has to come out right before an interview tomorrow.
Hello sir. I know it feels frustrating. But it took me 2 cycles and 8 WL before I got my first A. Your time will come, a WL is not a rejection. You need to stop comparing yourself to others. You know nothing about random strangers on the internet. Getting accepted to medical school is hard, but your time will come. My advice, take a breather from SDN and go watch a movie in theaters!! or take yourself out to a nice dinner.

Medical school is a slowwwwwww burn. Instant gratification is rare, as soon as you can accept that then you'll be a lot happier.

Got another waitlist after 2 interview invites yesterday. This is getting so frustrating. What good is inviting me to interview, if the convictions and IAs are not going to be viewed until after the interview?? That is the only rational explanation between number of interviews and acceptances. Most people on here with 12+ interviews have been accepted to 4 schools at this point.

I'm genuinely not sure what you mean when you refer to "the only rational explanation" for your WLs.

To clarify, are you positing that the reason you're getting WL post-II is because adcoms are only considering your convictions and IAs after the interview, and then choosing to WL you on this basis after what was otherwise going to be an A? And that's "the only rational explanation" for why you haven't been able to convert your IIs to As?

Got another waitlist after 2 interview invites yesterday. This is getting so frustrating. What good is inviting me to interview, if the convictions and IAs are not going to be viewed until after the interview?? That is the only rational explanation between number of interviews and acceptances. Most people on here with 12+ interviews have been accepted to 4 schools at this point. I have 0. And of course it has to come out right before an interview tomorrow.
I don't think what's holding you back at those WL schools is your conviction and IA's, because those things are pretty cut and dry, either it's a go or no go. The fact you are WL'ed there means you are admissible but somehow not their first choice. It's still early in the season and you have plenty decisions to wait for.

Are there any good mock interviewing services specifically for medical school? Maybe I’m struggling with virtual interviewing. I felt much more at ease in person.

Are there any good mock interviewing services specifically for medical school? Maybe I’m struggling with virtual interviewing. I felt much more at ease in person.
You had A's previously, so obviously your interview skills are fine. where did you get WL? low, mid or top tier schools?

You had A's previously, so obviously your interview skills are fine. where did you get WL? low, mid or top tier schools?
Those were in person, but I’ve always been told I’m a good interviewer even over zoom

One of the lower ranked ones I’ve got interview at. So if I can’t covert these, how are the higher ones going to be different

Those were in person, but I’ve always been told I’m a good interviewer even over zoom

One of the lower ranked ones I’ve got interview at. So if I can’t covert these, how are the higher ones going to be different
Not necessarily. There's always some yield protection going on at lower tier schools. They'd like to offer A's to people who are most likely to enroll first. Think Geisel.

You work on Wall Street so I am sure you are a good interviewer.

Only schools that are truly never yield-protecting are probably T10's. Even T20's tend to guard against that.
Is hard because now I’ll have to wait until at least Thanksgiving before I get accepted and my aunts, uncles and cousins etc. always asks about it. Hoped I would have one by then.

Now I’m at 50 primary’s, 4 pre II rejections, 4 pre II holds, 13II, 2 post II waitlists (soft Rs, they don’t really reject post II), waiting to from 4 post II, still have 7 II to attend. 0 Acceptance.

Don’t know if I’m mentally tough enough to write 40 applications and take the MCAT again in ~7 months, especially since the only thing that will really improve in my app is another year removed from the thing with good behavior

Last edited:
No, they may invite you to an interview only to deem you wouldn’t actually come there after the interview
You are incorrect. Resource protection is done prior to interview. No school is going to waste an interview slot with an Adcom attitude of "they won't come here".

I believe that the OP is correct in his assessment of his plight thus far. The invites are probably coming from schools with a mindset of "we have to check this kid out".

And after the interview, when they find out the whole back story, then it's game over.

Reactions: 7 users