Riskiest medical specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IMG_0409.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Radonc and er have many applicatnts with failed steps and classes. Luckily, when it comes to American applicants, There is a garbage can for every lid in these specialties.

Radonc and er have many applicatnts with failed steps and classes. Luckily, when it comes to American applicants, There is a garbage can for every lid in these specialties.

After seeing GPT4o I’m not sure specialty choice really matters since I bet a lot will start to just use mid levels + AI. I’m doing surgery board review right now and GPT literally gets almost every single question correct. I’ve always asked it to simulate a virtual patient encounter with me acting as the patient and it does quite well at honing in on a differential through questions

After seeing GPT4o I’m not sure specialty choice really matters since I bet a lot will start to just use mid levels + AI. I’m doing surgery board review right now and GPT literally gets almost every single question correct. I’ve always asked it to simulate a virtual patient encounter with me acting as the patient and it does quite well at honing in on a differential through questions

That's very different than being a physician lmao

Reactions: 1 user
I know but currently admin tries to replace us with nurses who did an online course to get an NP. Why wouldn’t they try with AI. The cost savings would be massive
They'll keep doing it.

This is part of why we see so many concierge docs. Big business/venture capital/whoever owns the clinic wants the doc working to the bone, with no unfilled slots/down-time. Venture capital-managed ED groups are already squeezing out ED docs because their salary is "too high." (I doubt they think the CEO's salary is "too high...") Private MD/DO-owned groups still keep same-day sick visits available, and can see their hospitalized patients ASAP after dc. Which maybe isn't the best business decision but it's the right thing to do--and unfortunately a small part of why it's harder for them to compete against the bigger healthcare companies. Most independent physician-owned practices have already faded away.

But these business-people managed docs/clinic can't/won't fit patients in. So patients wait weeks/months, and if anything urgent ever comes up they go to urgent care (which always say either "don't worry/follow-up with your PCP" or "go to the ER") leading to more fragmentation of care. The patient pays more but their care is worse. But the business folks don't care because they just look at their slice of the profit pie. Their clinic brings in more money, and that's all that matters. More patient encounters = more money. While we would see it as a failure to prevent many types of admissions/re-admissions, an MBA running the business just sees more encounters and thus more money. The cost of care is just getting pushed on to the hospital/insurer.

Meanwhile their docs burn out and decide to pack up and leave. Their wealthier patients follow them, and those patients and docs are much happier. The poorer patients are stuck with the MBA-managed/profit above all else-oriented system.

Physicians will still have jobs. But we're either likely to become cogs in the machine even more than we are now and be employees in every sense of the word, or we go independent/concierge and cater to the clientele who can afford it.

Turns out bringing more business people into medicine isn't a good thing.

It's not clear to me if AI will help or not, but certainly an AI could replace a CEO faster than it can replace a physician...