RN to MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Keala123

Reaction score
Hiya.
I’m a current nursing student, in my final year of study. I have strong desire to pursue medicine, with a passion for surgery. I don’t know of anyone who has gone from RN to MD so I am unsure of the process as my country doesn’t offer graduate entry level medicine and I really don’t want to start from scratch (6years of MD study) if I already have a BSN degree. Has anyone here entered medicine through graduate entry with a nursing degree? And how tough was it?
Thanks x

Members don't see this ad.

There are lots of threads dealing with this. Just do a search. What do you mean when you say “I really don’t want to start from scratch”? Medicine and nursing are very different paths so I’m not sure how realistic that is. Why did you go to nursing in the first place? Why are you leaving nursing (seemingly without practicing nursing first) and going to medicine? You will be asked these questions if you manage to get interviews.
I see you just joined SDN yesterday. Spend some time reading the various forums and get an idea about the path you are looking at. What country are you from? Not all US med schools accept international students.

Reactions: 1 users
There are lots of threads dealing with this. Just do a search. What do you mean when you say “I really don’t want to start from scratch”? Medicine and nursing are very different paths so I’m not sure how realistic that is. Why did you go to nursing in the first place? Why are you leaving nursing (seemingly without practicing nursing first) and going to medicine? You will be asked these questions if you manage to get interviews.
I see you just joined SDN yesterday. Spend some time reading the various forums and get an idea about the path you are looking at. What country are you from? Not all US med schools accept international students.
THIS^^^^ I think the key here is that OP's question is probably not even geared toward US MD schools. In case I am wrong, OP needs to know that in the US, not only will s/he have to start from scratch, but most US schools will require prereqs and other classes be completed at US institutions before applying to a US program. And all of this is before even reaching the question of whether the US program will accept the foreign student.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users