Robbin's Review Book - 2nd (New) Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lattimer13

good boy!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
our bookstore finally got it in this week. needless to say i picked one up and skimmed through some of the stuff we've already covered and it really is well put together with color photos and the clinical vingettes. i can't say how it compares to the original as i have never seen it.

Members don't see this ad.

lattimer13 said:
our bookstore finally got it in this week. needless to say i picked one up and skimmed through some of the stuff we've already covered and it really is well put together with color photos and the clinical vingettes. i can't say how it compares to the original as i have never seen it.

is that a new edition to the text book or the set of questions book ?

-=UberSharky=- said:
is that a new edition to the text book or the set of questions book ?

Both have a new edition out now. I want to put a plug in for the review book as one of the best resources I used for Step 1 prep. It's an excellent investment.

do you think theres a significant difference between the 1st and 2nd edition?

I saw the 2nd one at the local bkstore. Ive got the 1st edition (gone through all the questions in there already while I was taking the course).

I take the exam in Febuary, is it a worthy investment?

been going through BSS and qbank.

Members don't see this ad :)
sacrament said:
Both have a new edition out now. I want to put a plug in for the review book as one of the best resources I used for Step 1 prep. It's an excellent investment.

By "review book", I guess you mean the question book for Robbins?
I'd also like to know if anyone recommends getting the new edition. Is it much different from the older one?
thanks!

Peeshee said:
By "review book", I guess you mean the question book for Robbins?
I'd also like to know if anyone recommends getting the new edition. Is it much different from the older one?
thanks!

Well it's called "Robbins Review of Pathology." I haven't seen the 2nd edition but I can't imagine it's wildly different from the first; I doubt they came up with all new questions. If they did then that's fantastic.

sacrament said:
Well it's called "Robbins Review of Pathology." I haven't seen the 2nd edition but I can't imagine it's wildly different from the first; I doubt they came up with all new questions. If they did then that's fantastic.

the chick in the book store actually made a comment about the new edition being "much" thicker than the old one. i don't know as i've never seen the old one. take it for what's it worth.

I actually have both editions. The new edition seems to have more pictures. Also, about 1 out of 10 of the old questions is changed or replaced by a new question. The new book also has more total questions. For example, the heart chapter has 53 questions compared to 48 for the old edition. Also, the new book has a comprehensive test at the end with 74 questions.

I just got the book today, so there might be other differences that I haven't noticed yet.

got the new one, lots of pictures, and every question is a vignette, not sure if that's how the old one was or not.... I like it a LOT.

lattimer13 said:
the chick in the book store actually made a comment about the new edition being "much" thicker than the old one. i don't know as i've never seen the old one. take it for what's it worth.

Amazon lists the first edition at 310 pages and the second at 400. That's definitely a pretty substantial increase.

owen_osh said:
I actually have both editions. The new edition seems to have more pictures. Also, about 1 out of 10 of the old questions is changed or replaced by a new question. The new book also has more total questions. For example, the heart chapter has 53 questions compared to 48 for the old edition. Also, the new book has a comprehensive test at the end with 74 questions.

I just got the book today, so there might be other differences that I haven't noticed yet.

Hey, owen_osh (and anyone else with both editions),

If you happen to have more observations on the diffs between the two, please DO post; I have the old one and would like to avoid paying for another edition unless the diffs are truly significant. (Only trouble is, I'm told lots of our exam questions will come from the new edition -- bummer. ) I'm mighty stingy with my $40!

Thanks a bazillion.

daria said:
Hey, owen_osh (and anyone else with both editions),

If you happen to have more observations on the diffs between the two, please DO post; I have the old one and would like to avoid paying for another edition unless the diffs are truly significant. (Only trouble is, I'm told lots of our exam questions will come from the new edition -- bummer. ) I'm mighty stingy with my $40!

Thanks a bazillion.
What a cheap ass, You shell out all that cash for tuition and all else in life but to learn the most important subject in medicine and do well on your tests you wont shell out 40 bucks, that is not just dumb that is simply scary.

Ramoray said:
What a cheap ass, You shell out all that cash for tuition and all else in life but to learn the most important subject in medicine and do well on your tests you wont shell out 40 bucks, that is not just dumb that is simply scary.

I am a certified cheap-ass. I re-use teabags and tampons. However, as I mentioned, I own (and regularly use) the first edition which I bought new, for $40 about 3 months ago. I'm willing to shell out another $40 if it means significantly more learning. However, paying $40 for about 5 extra questions per chapter and pictures that are in "Big Robbins" anyway would be, in my economy and given my financial situation, dumb (but not scary). :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
daria said:
I am a certified cheap-ass. I re-use teabags and tampons. :rolleyes:

That is quite disturbing. I'd much rather you left out the latter part of this statement--way too much information--on a side note, do you make your boyfriend re-use the same condom? Now that is SCARY--(when you have little one's about to pop out) :D :laugh:

HiddenTruth said:
That is quite disturbing. I'd much rather you left out the latter part of this statement--way too much information --on a side note, do you make your boyfriend re-use the same condom? Now that is SCARY--(when you have little one's about to pop out)

Ai, ai, ai, people, grain of salt, grain of salt... I'm not entirely sure it's possible to reuse a tampon; in any case I don't want to think too hard about it. Hmm... condom reuse... worth considering... except the pill is a beautiful thing* (and cheaper on insurance? in any case worth paying more for)! ;)

* if used in a monogamous relationship, blah, blah, caveat, blah

Got a little bit of a chance to look at the new one today; in the 2 chapters I looked at (skin, bones/joints/soft tissue tumors), I noticed that...
  • All of the questions that were in the format "for the descriptions of patient symptoms in questions 1, 2, 3, and 4, select the disease that best fits" were expanded into individual case studies with more detail.
  • Most questions are expanded with more detail (i.e., references to newer assays, equipment, etc.).
  • In these 2 chapters, I think ALL of the completely new questions were appended at the end of the 1st edition questions (so, conveniently photocopiable... ).
  • I only saw one new picture in the two chapters combined (still same photos/diagrams as those in "Big Robbins")

My conclusion after looking at 2 chapters is that the 2nd edition is a significant improvement. If you're considering borrowing/buying the 1st edition used or buying the new one, I'd advise getting the new one.

I took a look at the new Robbins review and it looks pretty good. As far as board studying, did you all read the corresponding sections in big Robbins, or just use BRS/a review book?

I think the questions will be a great resource, but I am trying to figure out what I'm going to study beforehand so that I can actually answer the questions.

As a sidenote, I have big Robbins, but have barely touched it my first 1.5 years. I'm thinking I'll just use BRS Path or Kaplan and look at Robbins for pictures.

Let me know what worked for you.

any updates from the people who bought this? u finding it useful? I looked at the 6th ed on amazon and it seems fine. (they have a 'look inside' to see chapter 1 stuff. How long does it take to go through a chapter of questions? I'mm wondering if i should devote like 1:1 ratio of robbins review and brs (i.e. 1 hr of brs to 1 hr of robbins).

Yogi Bear said:
any updates from the people who bought this? u finding it useful? I looked at the 6th ed on amazon and it seems fine. (they have a 'look inside' to see chapter 1 stuff. How long does it take to go through a chapter of questions? I'mm wondering if i should devote like 1:1 ratio of robbins review and brs (i.e. 1 hr of brs to 1 hr of robbins).

Did anyone go through the Robbins question book before taking the shelf exam in pathology? Did it help? If so, which edition?

Pox in a box said:
Whoooo! I just finished taking the shelf in path and boy, I got whipped! I couldn't believe some of the stuff they put on there. I remember getting a question involving some obscure lab test that would lead me toward a GI abnormality but it didn't give a very good clinical history, the picture was terrible (I think it was stomach?), and the best guess I could give for the answer was that it was Menetrier's disease (by process of elimination and a little bit of luck!). The question didn't even mention anything about enlarged rugae in the stomach but did touch on the increased plasma cell infiltrate. I'm pretty bummed about the whole thing. Did anyone else get anything they were just like, "HUH?" on? Any particular diseases you wish you had focused on? I don't want to be in the same boat when I take Step 1.

Don't trust this girl or any of her posts. This proves she is not trustworthy. Now, will you finally admit you stole samyjay's idea.

Pox in a box said:
Did anyone go through the Robbins question book before taking the shelf exam in pathology? Did it help? If so, which edition?

Busted.

p53 said:
Don't trust this girl or any of her posts. This proves she is not trustworthy. Now, will you finally admit you stole samyjay's idea.

You are such a cancerous tool. I asked about the question book from Robbins because I didn't use it for the shelf exam and wanted to know if it would have helped. People have told me that the pathology shelf is very similar to the types of questions that you will see on the Step 1 exam. Now do you get it? Quit being such a precocious prick and go back to guarding your precious membrane.

Pox in a box said:
You are such a cancerous tool. I asked about the question book from Robbins because I didn't use it for the shelf exam and wanted to know if it would have helped. People have told me that the pathology shelf is very similar to the types of questions that you will see on the Step 1 exam. Now do you get it? Quit being such a precocious prick and go back to guarding your precious membrane.

It looks like we have a troll, folks. :sleep: :sleep:

I'll provide a quick summary:

Robbins Review of Pathology: 1st edition vs. 2nd edition:

I own the first edition, and I have borrowed the second edition and done questions from it. I have done many of the questions in the first edition as well. Overall, either book is an excellent way to review/assess your knowledge. The questions they ask are more penetrating than Qbank, and are clinically oriented. They are often 2nd order questions, and about every third question requires the interpretation of a gross or histological specimen as part of the question stem. The explanation of answers (both correct and incorrect) is suberb and concise.

The second edition of this book goes above and beyond the first edition in several ways, however I would not recommend buying the new one if you already started on the old. Most of the questions are identical, perhaps 1/5th to 1/6 of the content is new, depending on the section. The second edition is an improvement insofar that more answer choices are offered, (a-f, a-g, etc), and the question stems tend to be somewhat longer. The explanations also appeared to be longer, although this is probably simply because there were more incorrect answers to explain. The overall number of questions is mostly unaltered; however the new book includes a "total test" at the end which tests your knowledge of all subject areas.

Robbins Big Pathology:
I like the new book better - although it is slightly larger, I think that there are more diagrams in the this book, and it is slightly more molecularly-focused. The color-coding of chapters is also helpful. If your school subscribes to MD Consult, you may access the new edition online, although it is not as pleasant as reading the real textbook.

for those who have it, are u just going through and doing all the problems or are u doing only a portion, i.e. odds, evens, every other odd, etc.... man...i feel like i'm back in my hs days w/ homework. how long does it take to understand a chapter/do all the problems?

Yogi Bear said:
how does robbins review compare to webpath?

I have the old robbins review.

I find that it is very similar in content and style to webpath. Both have thought provoking questions and excellent annotated answers. I have found webpath to be more difficult, and the robbins q-book containing more photos. I use both in preparation for my class exams.

Yogi Bear said:
for those who have it, are u just going through and doing all the problems or are u doing only a portion, i.e. odds, evens, every other odd, etc.... man...i feel like i'm back in my hs days w/ homework. how long does it take to understand a chapter/do all the problems?

It usually takes me an hour to do all of the webpath questions on a subject, and about two hours to go through a Robbins q-book chapter. I try to annotate into first aid salient points that I miss while doing the questions.