Rotation homework?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennis

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
During 3rd and 4th year rotations, is it possible, timewise, to take extra coursework in the evenings (specifically classes which I'm interested in). Basically, my question is, is there time to do extra things as there won't be as much studying as there was in the first 2 years. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No, there isn't time. Third and fourth years are different; you end up studying quite a bit, you have less time to do so, and you have call as well!

Maybe fourth year you'd be able to swing it. But there's so much to learn, if you don't go home and read, you're screwed.

On most rotations, absolutely not. YOu will be at the hospital much later hours than during MS 1 and 2, taking call and there IS still studying - reading about operations, about your patients, etc. 4th year rotations can be a bit more lenient depending on the speciality and you *might* be able to find some time, but IMHO I doubt it.

Members don't see this ad :)
It also depends on your schedule. Do you get any vacation time during your 3rd or 4th years? At my school we do, so during my third year, while I was on vacation, I took a photography class and a fly-fishing class. This year, my 4th year, I plan to travel while on vacation as I feel this will be the last time for several years that I will get to do what I want :D

Thanks for the info guys! I'm only an MS1 now, so I guess I'll just wait and see how 3rd and 4th years go. My roommate is a MS3 and I don't see her doing much homework, that's why I ask.