School list, non-trad reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOCOC15

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please don't quote this message

Brief background, I graduated undergrad in 2017, worked in tech, went back to school in 2021 for a DIY post-bacc, applied in 22/23 cycle and didn't get in. During that application year I was working in tech and didn't strengthen my application with additional clinical work, so this past year that's what I've been focusing on.

1. 3.84 cGPA and sGPA. 40 credit all science postbacc for my pre-reqs was 4.0.
  2. 517
  3. NY, grew up in CA.
  4. White
  5. Good non-Ivy.
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
    1. Paid caregiver for disabled woman, 210 hours. Did this during my post-bacc.
    2. Oncology scribe- 600 hours since September (ongoing). I've been doing this part time on top of my full time tech job (40 hours a week but flexible with evenings/weekends so I made it work).
  7. Research experience and productivity: Senior thesis in social sciences.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 60 hours total (not including scribing). primary care, surgery, inpatient psychiatry.
  9. Non-clinical volunteering:
    1. Covid 19 vaccine clinic for underserved/immigrant population. 150 hours, mostly check-in/giving vaccine cards. During post-bacc. (Is this clinical)
    2. Food kitchen. 80 hours. This was during my application year.
    3. Hospice volunteer. 80ish hours since September, ongoing.
    4. I have 100 hours of volunteering from undergrad, but that was in 2015/2016. Is it worth including that?
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. I worked in tech after college and decided to change careers. I took a pause from the tech work while doing my post bacc, but went back to it during my 1st application year through present (though I'm taking a 2 month break now to work on apps).
    2. I have other stuff I'll add in my app but not worth listing here.
  11. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. Just to clarify how I've strengthened my app since last time- Started part-time scribing on top of my full time previous/current career (600 hours, ongoing), Food kitchen/serving dinner at homeless shelter (80 hours), hospice volunteering (80 hours, ongoing).

Here's my current school list. I'm planning to apply DO as well after applying MD only last time, so advice on what schools to add would be helpful. TBH I haven't research the DO side enough yet.

MD Schools I'm considering:
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
USC
Kaiser
Vermont
Albany
Einstein
Boston University
Carle Illinois (given my tech/math background)
Rosalind Franklin
Hofstra
Drexel
Emory
Jacobs SOM
Mount Sinai
Hackensack
Georgetown
George Washington
Geisinger
Temple
MCW
NY Medical College
Stony Brook
Thomas Jefferson
SUNY upstate
SUNY downstate
Tufts
Brown
University of Michigan
Pittsburgh

I don't have a list of DO schools except that I'd like to apply to the ones in NY and CA, avoiding any that are for-profit.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Boston University
Dartmouth
Brown
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
USF Morsani
Miami
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
U Michigan
Emory
USC Keck
Kaiser
UCLA
UCSF

The vaccine clinic isn't clinical so its fine to count under non-clinical. You could also count the undergrad hours if you have space. Good to see you've improved your app a bit.

Did you receive any interviews during the 22-23 cycle? How do you feel about your essays and writing? Be sure to submit early if possible (but not too early...make sure everything is thorough and complete!)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you receive any interviews during the 22-23 cycle? How do you feel about your essays and writing? Be sure to submit early if possible (but not too early...make sure everything is thorough and complete!)
I had one interview last time. Don't feel good about my writing tbh but I'm trying to get help.

Any advice on DO schools? I'd like to apply to some in locations that appeal to me, but I'm also worried I'd get filtered out with my MCAT.

I had one interview last time. Don't feel good about my writing tbh but I'm trying to get help.

Any advice on DO schools? I'd like to apply to some in locations that appeal to me, but I'm also worried I'd get filtered out with my MCAT.
As long as you sell yourself as being genuinely interested in DO (ideally, have a letter from a DO) then it wouldn't hurt; to be honest though, given your stats I don't think you need to apply DO. Just follow the list from Faha and you should come out okay.