Schools that interview Canadians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jase133

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to start this thread because I see a number of Canadians applying for next year. To my understanding, some schools are more "willing" to interview (and possibly accept) Canadians than others. This will save our fellow Canadian applicants some time. Please add to this if you know that a certain school X interviews Canadians (not green card holders, but REGULAR Canadians) :)

Tufts
Mt Sinai
Duke University
Washington University

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to start this thread because I see a number of Canadians applying for next year. To my understanding, some schools are more "willing" to interview (and possibly accept) Canadians than others. This will save our fellow Canadian applicants some time. Please add to this if you know that a certain school X interviews Canadians (not green card holders, but REGULAR Canadians) :)

Tufts
Mt Sinai
Duke University
Washington University
Jefferson
Albany

Not sure if he was a "regular" Canadian or not, but there was a guy from Canada at Ohio State when I interviewed there, if that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)

Tufts
Mt Sinai
Duke University
Washington University
Jefferson
Albany

Adding a few more to the list (from myself and others I know for sure)! And alphabetizing it..so it's easier to find the one you are looking for.

Albany
Dartmouth
Duke University
Finch/Chicago Medical School
Jefferson
Maryland
Mt. Sinai
Penn State
SUNY - Syracuse (Upstate Medical University)
Tufts
Virginia Commonwealth University
Washington Univeristy
Wayne State
Yale University

I just want to reiterate to future applicants that this list is by no means the rule. Please call up each school and verify. When I was doing this last year, I found a lot of schools changed their policies from year to year.

Good luck!

Adding a few. I'm not Canadian, but I'm an international student (F1). I'm assuming schools that interview non-canadian F1 students also interview Canadians. Please feel free to edit the list if my assumption is flawed.

Albany
Columbia
Dartmouth
Duke University
Emory
Harvard
Jefferson
Maryland
Mt. Sinai
Northwestern
Penn State
Stanford
Tufts
Univ of Chicago--Pritzker
Washington Univeristy
Wayne State
Yale University

i would also add UCSF, UCLA, rush, nymc, university of washington, MCW.

Thanks, Original. You can be an honorary Canadian if you want - just let me know. :wink: I'm going to add a few that TOLD me they definitely interview Canadians. All of the schools that I applied to are now on this list, but I do know about a few others. And I'll add rajneel's...

Albany
Columbia
Dartmouth
Duke University
Emory
Harvard
Jefferson
Maryland
MCW (Medical College of Wisconsin)
Mt. Sinai
Northwestern
NYMC
Penn State
Stanford
Rush
Tufts
UCLA
UCSF
University of Washington
Washington Univeristy (St. Louis)
Wayne State
Weill Medical School (Cornell)
Yale University

•••quote:•••Originally posted by rajneel1:
•i would also add UCSF, UCLA, •••••I think UCSF and UCLA have close to 0% acceptance rates for international students. I didn't bother applying to either. I think the info is available in the US News online rankings. I'm not completely sure; but I remember trying to save time and dough by not applying to those places.

Hey Brando,
I'd be happy to be a canadian. Not to sound too picky, but I would like some Montreal residency and fluent french to go. Actually I decided against teaching this summer. I'm planning a trip to Canada, England, France, and Italy. Very elusive, but I ain't playing :D

•••quote:•••Originally posted by brandonite:
•Thanks, Original. You can be an honorary Canadian if you want - just let me know. :wink: •••••you guys just let anybody in. no wonder you have too many people :)

I don't know about UCLA, but USCF has only taken one international student in the past six years... So, you're right, Original. Apply there if you wish, but it's probably not worth your time. But they do welcome applications, at least, from internationals. I applied there on my AMCAS, but didn't bother sending in the secondary. Stanford is much friendlier if you want the Bay Area.

Speaking of Cali schools, what about USC? Or UCSF?

And, we don't have enough people, that's why we're always trying to recruit new Canadians... :D And Montreal's a great city. :) Where are you going in Canada?

Okay, I'm adding a little something in here because a lot of schools are getting added. Please make corrections as you see fit. I've only taken the first couple of messages. Brandonite, Original, et al, please add your * to the list when you get the chance :) .

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE THIS MESSAGE: Schools that are marked with an asterik ( * ) have been PERSONALLY identified by an SDN member that they interview regular Canadians

Albany *
Columbia
Dartmouth
Duke University *
Emory
Harvard
Jefferson *
Maryland
MCW (Medical College of Wisconsin)
Mt. Sinai *
Northwestern
NYMC
Penn State
Stanford
Rush
Tufts *
UCLA
UCSF
University of Washington
Washington Univeristy (St. Louis) *
Wayne State
Yale University

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm just wondering so when you call the schools up, do you just ask them whether they'd take canadians?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by brandonite:

And, we don't have enough people, that's why we're always trying to recruit new Canadians... :D And Montreal's a great city. :) Where are you going in Canada?•••••I'm first going to Grand Praire Alberta to visit my uncle and my little, mischevious, yet bright and lovable cousins; then I'll go to Montreal; then off to Europe. Though I gat to watch my back in Europe (espacially England) because I'll be there during the World Cup during which Nigeria will be majorly kicking some english @ss. I'm sorry Beckman fractured his foot :clap:

Haha. Well, I warned you about rural Alberta... :wink: Anyway, Montreal is a great city. And because Canada didn't qualify for the World Cup (as usual), I'll root for Nigeria for ya. :wink:

jojo - Use the Internet! Find out what their policies are for international students! Generally, Canadians don't have much of a problem. Canadian universities are considered the equivalent of American schools, so we don't face the same requirements of other international graduates. But you will find a problem with financial aid - that will be major issue for most Canadians...

I am putting a parenthesis by the UW because they do not take internationals (canadian or otherwise) for regular MD. I think they take for MD/PhD but I know for a fact that they do not accept Canadians for MD.

Also updating a few schools.

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE THIS MESSAGE: Schools that are marked with an asterik ( * ) have been PERSONALLY identified by an SDN member that they interview regular Canadians

Albany *
Columbia*
Dartmouth
Duke University *
Emory
Finch/Chicago Medical School*
George Washington *
Harvard*
Jefferson *
Maryland
MCW (Medical College of Wisconsin)*
Mt. Sinai *
Northwestern*
NYMC*
Ohio State *
Penn State
Stanford
Rush
Tufts *
UCLA
UCSF
University of Washington (MD/PhD ONLY)
Wake Forest *
Wayne State
Yale University[/QB][/QUOTE]

Yo Moo, 1 more post and you're up to 1000. :)

I interviewed at Vandy and Einstein.
Also, I am putting an asterik beside Dartmouth.

Albany *
Columbia*
Dartmouth*
Duke University *
Einstein *
Emory
George Washington *
Harvard*
Jefferson *
Maryland
Mt. Sinai *
Northwestern*
NYMC*
Ohio State *
Penn State
Stanford
Rush
Tufts *
UCLA
UCSF
Vanderbilt *
Wake Forest *
Wayne State
Yale University[/QB][/QUOTE]

I second the Opinion the UCSF and UCLA are not worth applying to (maybe UCLA because a Canadian friend and I were interviewed there a couple years ago but UCSF has eluded everyone even for interview). I added Hawaii in there. Don't ask me why my friend applied there (and go in as well)! Also, U of Pennsylvania, Hopkins, Baylor, Georgetown and Case Western.

Baylor tuition is only $15k per year for out-of-state and internationals (best buy). Case Western's Dean's Scholarship (20k/year) is available for everyone including internationals but Case has mandate to accept 60% (or 80%?) in-state so it could be a little harder to get noticed and interviewed there as internationals. Wash U's merit scholarship is also available for internationals. Vandy and Wash U seem to have the most internationals.

I highly recommend Vancouver and Montreal. Drop by Banff if you could.

Albany *
Baylor
Case Western
Columbia*
Dartmouth*
Duke University *
Einstein *
Emory
Georgetown
George Washington *
Harvard*
Hawaii
Hopkins
Jefferson *
Maryland
Mt. Sinai *
Northwestern*
NYMC*
Ohio State *
Penn State
Stanford
Rush
Tufts *
UCLA
UCSF
University of Pennsylvania
Vanderbilt *
Wake Forest *
Wayne State
Yale University*

Adding Tulane

Albany *
Baylor
Case Western
Columbia*
Dartmouth*
Duke University *
Einstein *
Emory
Georgetown
George Washington *
Harvard*
Hawaii
Hopkins
Jefferson *
Maryland
Mt. Sinai *
Northwestern*
NYMC*
Ohio State *
Penn State
Stanford
Rush
Tufts *
Tulane *
UCLA
UCSF
Vanderbilt *
Wake Forest *
Wayne State
Yale University*

Updating Syracuse, Penn State, Wayne State

Albany *
Baylor
Case Western
Columbia*
Dartmouth*
Duke University *
Einstein *
Emory
Georgetown
George Washington *
Harvard*
Hawaii
Hopkins
Jefferson *
Maryland
Mt. Sinai *
Northwestern*
NYMC*
Ohio State *
Penn State *
Stanford
SUNY - Syracuse (Upstate Medical University)*
Rush
Tufts *
Tulane *
UCLA
UCSF
Vanderbilt *
Wake Forest *
Wayne State *
Yale University*

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Thewonderer:
•Baylor tuition is only $15k per year for out-of-state and internationals (best buy). •••••Does anyone else know what schools have tuition under 25 g's? thanks

Forgot about Vermont and Boston U.

If you want to look for schools with less than 25k, you might have to look at state schools whose tuition would be less than 25k even for out-of-staters. I only applied to two UC's back then and never bothered with state schools. You would need to contact the state schools individually to see if they accept internationals, although there are quite a few on the list below.

Albany *
Baylor
Boston Univ.
Case Western
Columbia*
Dartmouth*
Duke University *
Einstein *
Emory
Georgetown
George Washington *
Harvard*
Hawaii
Hopkins
Jefferson *
Maryland
Mt. Sinai *
Northwestern*
NYMC*
Ohio State *
Penn State *
Stanford
Rush
Tufts *
Tulane *
UCLA
UCSF
Vanderbilt *
Vermont
Wake Forest *
Wayne State *
Yale University*

I hate seeing this thread get bumped to so low. I'm going to bump it back up.

Brandonite,

Are you going to go to Manitoba meds next year? Have you decided?

Hey jase, I read on the other board that you got into UBC. Congrats. Are you going there for sure?

VC15,

Thanks! I'm probably 80% sure right now. I'm still waiting for the responses from the Ontario schools. It's a relief though, definitely. Now if I can only find a job...

Did you apply to US schools?

Jase, I didn't apply to the States. Waiting to hear from the Ontario schools, just like you are.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by jase133:
•Brandonite,

Are you going to go to Manitoba meds next year? Have you decided?•••••Not sure yet. I will probably wait until August to decide... It's a complicated situation...

Congrats on UBC!

Bump....

some international applicants are coming out of the gate this year! :wink:

Incorporating some other people's advice at the bottom of the list.

Albany *
Baylor
Boston Univ.
Case Western
Columbia*
Dartmouth*
Duke University *
Einstein *
Emory
Georgetown
George Washington *
Harvard*
Hawaii
Hopkins
Jefferson *
Maryland
Mt. Sinai *
Northwestern*
NYMC*
Ohio State *
Penn State *
Stanford
Rush
Tufts *
Tulane *
UCLA
UCSF
Vanderbilt *
Vermont
Wake Forest *
Wayne State *
Yale University*

For private schools,
NO MCP in Philly
NO Rochester (unless you have gone there for undergrad)

I am a canadian residing in the US without a greencard (waiting on INS for that). I finished my education in FL and would like to apply this year. But even if you do get accepted at a US school, as a Canadian will I be able to obtain loans from Canada to pay for school? :confused:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Jumpu:
•I am a canadian residing in the US without a greencard (waiting on INS for that). I finished my education in FL and would like to apply this year. But even if you do get accepted at a US school, as a Canadian will I be able to obtain loans from Canada to pay for school? :confused: •••••No American greencard = no federal loan or financial aid from American med schools' own funds.

However, as Canadian, I believe that you can obtain CanHelp for loans. see if you can find that through google.

Some American banks will also lend $$$ to you if you have an American who co-sign the paper (so if u default, they can go after the co-signer)

Jase133,

Did you get any good news from the Ontario schools?

bump... again...

Hi everyone. :)

I'm so glad I found this thread!

Just wondering how everyone decided on what US schools to apply to... There are so many!!! :confused: I'm just starting to look around for possibilities (after the Canadian rejections :( ) and would appreciate any insight at all.

Cheers!

Go Canadians!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
(Was in Ottawa)

Hi Bee,

I was in the same position last year, this time. Here's what I did:

I listed all the schools that accepted Canadians for sure - that eliminated many of the state schools and some private ones.

Then I looked at the average MCAT/GPA scores at the schools - the ones that were just too high for me, I eliminated.

I then looked at where the school was located - I wanted to stay fairly close to home (Toronto), so I focused on schools on the east.

Tuition - for example, I believe U of Colorado has tuition of US $50000 for non-residents. That was just an insane amount for me.

Then look at other things such as the number of out-of-state students accepted, the program, whether you have to pay all four years tuition upfront, etc. This managed to narrow down the number of schools to just a few.

Hopefully, this might work for you also! Good luck with your applications!!! :D

P.S. Start saving a lot of money. The exchange rate is terrible! :mad:

Hi WesternGirl,

Thanks so much for your post. I really appreciate your help. :D Would you mind sharing where you found all this info regarding which schools accepted Canadians etc. etc..? Did you look on line or through books...? Any help is much appreciated!

p.s. Did you have any luck with your applications this year?? All the best. :wink:

I personally think that the schools in the above list are more than enough for most people. It will take an insane amount of $$$ to apply to too many schools as well.

One book that is essential for all premeds who are applying is the Medical Schools Admissions Requirement, published by American Association of Medical Colleges. It has an entry on every single medical school in North America (yes, include Canadian schools because all schools on both sides of the border are accreditted by the same body: Liason Committee on Medical Education or some variation of that). Each entry is official (i.e. submitted by each school's representatives). The book would not talk about whether Canadians are accepted or not. But it has the official number on the number of out-of-state matriculants, how many spots available, premed-requirements, curriculum, etc. It does NOT have everything but has enough info to be pretty valuable.

Hi Bee,

I used The Princeton Review's complete book of med school, but the book that TheWonderer suggested is probably better, as it is more "official". That book helped me eliminate schools that only took in-state and whose averages were too high.

Many of the schools' websites mentioned whether they took Canadians or not and for those that did not say, I e-mailed the admissions offices.

But as TheWonderer said, the list on this thread is pretty good and you don't really want to apply to too many schools.

This year did go well for me - I got into Finch and Wayne State plus a couple of waitlists. But I will be going to McMaster because I prefer to stay local. Good luck to you!!!

Thanks for your help you two!

I'll look into both books. And best of luck at Mac WesternGirl! Congrats on your acceptance!

Bee

Here is a link to a thread that talks about loans available for Canadians. I just found it today since it has been hiding in the pre-dental section.

enjoy!
<a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=001774;p=1" target="_blank">http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=001774;p=1</a>