schools with grade replacement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treadlightlyplease

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Quick question. As it stands my science gpa is around a 3.0. This was because I had poor grades in Ochem and General chemistry originally and I ended up retaking and receiving A's at a community college after I graduated with a degree in economics. If you take into account grade replacement like they do in osteopathic schools, my science gpa rises to a 3.75 and overall around a 3.8. As it stands it is at a 3.0 and a 3.2. Well my question is this, do I have a shot with the 3.0 science gpa. Upward trend like crazy. Retakes in Ochem 1,2, General bio 2, and General chem 1 with all A's to replace c's from several years ago. Also what schools offer grade replacement like they do in osteopathic schools? Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

No dental schools offer grade replacement. Also the fact that you ended up retaking many of the science pre-reqs at a community college may end up hurting you as many places don't accept cc pre-req credits.

UMKC does recalculate your GPA:
http://dentistry.umkc.edu/Future_Students/faq.shtml
Q: How does UMKC evaluate repeated courses?
A: While it is never the student’s intention to receive a poor grade in a course, it is often necessary to repeat that course. UMKC will remove the original course from the transcript and replace it with the most recent grade received. Many times this will significantly boost a student’s GPA. Strive to take as few repeated courses as necessary. Keep in mind that AADSAS averages both grades. This is not how UMKC calculates repeats. Therefore, the AADSAS science GPA and the UMKC science GPA may not be equivalent.
Not all dental schools will calculate the science GPA in the same manner as UMKC. This is a question for each dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy crap! What other schools do this? I wish I could replace my Orgo grades

I'm applying with a 3.0 sGPA with major upward trend and 3.75 sGPA the last three semesters. I just submitted so I haven't heard from anyone yet but I'm hopeful. I scored 22AA/23TS/23PAT and have good EC's plus I played division 1 NCAA college soccer for 4 years while studying. I'm hoping that brings a little mercy as far as gpa goes. My instate school said it would :)

This is actually the first I have heard of a DS replacing grades. None of my schools replaces grades.

So as far as I know, all of my grades are taken into consideration.

This is actually the first I have heard of a DS replacing grades. None of my schools replaces grades.

So as far as I know, all of my grades are taken into consideration.

you're a single child, aren't you?

tennis - UMKC is the only one I found, but their OOS numbers are not good - 77 MO residents, 21 KS residents, 5 NM residents, leaving just 6 spots for others.

No, most dental schools don't do grade replacement, and the fact you retook classes at a CC, maybe you cant apply to about 2-3 schools. So I'm not sure why the person above states"many" dental schools don't accepted CC hours.

If you have a strong upward trend, strong DAT, strong ECs, and apply broadly, then you have a chance of getting interviews. Goodluck.