Second thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Auricae

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else seriously considering another field but is still moving forward in the application process?

I have been torn between my love for philosophy/literature and medicine. I have been seriously considering going to graduate school for literature. When I think about my the next 50 years of my life, it is so hard for me to know how I want it to be. On the one hand, the thought of teaching students and being immersed in literature is enthralling. I would love to do that! At the same time, I really enjoy medicine and working with patients.

For those who may respond, "you should have taken the time to figure this out earlier," I really tried. The problem is, I am drawn to both equally. On the one hand, phil/lit better fits my academic strengths. I am a solid writer and I love working with literature/phil. On the other hand, medicine is more practical (as far as job stability, etc.) and it provides me a more direct satisfaction in the form of helping people.

Anyway, I am not looking for a single line response to solve all my problems. Is there anyone else who is equally conflicted and is still applying? At the moment, I am headed to med school since I haven't applied to phil/lit grad school. At the same time, I can't help wondering if I am making a huge mistake. It's so hard to know in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

P.S. Just to clarify my situation a bit, I LOVED my philosophy/literature classes and pretty much HATED all of my science classes. I am definitely not a science person. I simply cannot get excited about science in the way I do for phil/lit. What draws me to medicine is not the academic side, but the actual patient interaction. I wonder if this will deeply affect my long-term success in the field. I could see myself continuing to be engaged by phil/lit for many years, while I look at the material covered in medicine as a necessity.. something I have to do to be able to work with patients.

If you really want patient interaction, why don't you try other fields such as psychology, social work, etc. You will still have patient interaction and you can still pursue your love for philosophy and literature. You seem to be directed towards the emotional aspects of healing and you can be trained for it (not as grueling as medical school). In fact, I've met others who have done that. They teach literature part-time and they also work as counselors. In the end, you will make up for how flexible you want your career to be and it's not either or.

I can't imagine being a doctor without loving the science. Learning science will not stop in medical school. You would have to continue learning to keep up with advances.

I came from a psychology background and worked in mental health clinics. The workers there had interests that ranged from music, philosophy and political science. I'm not trying to discourage you, but I want you to know that you still have many options. Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
A few things in your post stood out, the part about going into medicine because it's more "practical" and the part about you not liking the sciences... While i admit, medicine is practical, in terms of job security and salary, there is nothing "practical" about the road to becoming a physician. Unfortunately, the first 7-10 years (med school + residency) of med school life are going to be filled with insecurities, enormous stress, self doubt, and much more up and downs than most other professions. The people in med school who are surviving and even thriving are those that went into it because they felt it was their one and only true calling...I cannot picture myself doing anything else, so the sacrafices I am making now and for the next few years are acceptable to me. The "practical" part is just a secondary benefit that I will get 10 years from now, once my loans are paid off:D . I also think that you have to atleast like the basic sciences a little bit to get through med school, or else you will be pretty miserable for atleast the first 2 years, because we cover as much, if not more boring, monotonous basic science as we did in undergrad. I'm not saying this to push you away from applying to med school, I just think you have to really know yourself a little better, and go back to the roots of why you want to go to medicine, and weigh the sacrafices you're going to have to make. Good luck to you either way...

I too am in a similar predicament. I do love science and learning which is a positive. However, I am debating whether to attend medical school or veterinary school. In either, I intend on becoming a surgeon. In medical school I will have four years of school, and five years of residency, plus three of a fellowship if I chose cardio-thoracic surgery. On the other hand, I will have four years of school, two year of working in a practice and then three years of residency in veterinary surgery. I have an equal interest in treating both animals and humans. A few of the main benefits in human medicine are the financial freedoms and greater personal contact. However, I believe veterinary medicine will provide more leisure time throughout the process to spend with my wife and family if we decide to procreate. One of the most important thing in life to me is to have financial freedom which will allow my to begin scholarship foundations for underprivileged children, volunteer time to third world countries along with donating my time to a free clinic every month in the states. In the end, I may only have one choice, as the veterinary schools don't begin interviewing until February, so I don't know if I am accepted yet.

You must look deep into your heart and decide what will bring you the most happiness throughout your life. One option is to become a doctor, work toward the financial freedom your are seeking, and then attend graduate school for psychology or literature. I have heard of many people who change their career from medicine after just a few years of practice. Another opportunity would be to practice as a physicain part-time and teach philosphy/literature on the side. Remember, you only have one life, make it count.

Herp

Thanks for all the constructive thoughts!

It's probably true that I need to have more of a love for science if I want to survive. Perhaps during my year off, I will magically discover this interest. Actually, I do find my research on cancer pretty interesting. Maybe I could pursue something there.

It's just so hard for me to understand how people get EXCITED by organic chemistry or biology. I'm thankful people like you exist but it makes my future so uncertain, since I want to be a physician yet find the basic foundation of medicine soooo booorrinnng.

I'd take reading War & Peace over doing SN2 reactions any day.

Originally posted by Buck Strong
A few things in your post stood out, the part about going into medicine because it's more "practical" and the part about you not liking the sciences... While i admit, medicine is practical, in terms of job security and salary, there is nothing "practical" about the road to becoming a physician. Unfortunately, the first 7-10 years (med school + residency) of med school life are going to be filled with insecurities, enormous stress, self doubt, and much more up and downs than most other professions. The people in med school who are surviving and even thriving are those that went into it because they felt it was their one and only true calling...I cannot picture myself doing anything else, so the sacrafices I am making now and for the next few years are acceptable to me. The "practical" part is just a secondary benefit that I will get 10 years from now, once my loans are paid off:D . I also think that you have to atleast like the basic sciences a little bit to get through med school, or else you will be pretty miserable for atleast the first 2 years, because we cover as much, if not more boring, monotonous basic science as we did in undergrad. I'm not saying this to push you away from applying to med school, I just think you have to really know yourself a little better, and go back to the roots of why you want to go to medicine, and weigh the sacrafices you're going to have to make. Good luck to you either way...

well, i have to disagree with a part of this... i am a first-year, i don't really like the basic sciences at all, and i seriously considered going to graduate school for philosophy... but i must say that though studying the sciences is awfully boring, it doesn't make me miserable... though i can certainly see how it might do just that to some...

i think the most important thing is to be content with your decision... once you make a decision like this you can't play the 'what if' game... if you allow for the possibility of disappointment, you will probably be disappointed... even during the basic sciences there are plenty of things you can do to make school fun and interesting...

i've also met plenty of people in medicine that don't feel that medicine is their 'calling', and they seem to be doing fine... i think people like to romanticize their decision to go into medicine, and for some, maybe that's reality and that's great... but rest assured there are plenty like you in medical school...

and i think it's entirely possible to 'know yourself' and yet still be a little unsure about a decision like this... but hopefully you know yourself well enough to know that you are capable of being happy with whatever decision you make, and if so, just make one and go with it... that's what i did anyway... i doubt that anything you think about or do at this point is going to make your decision any easier, so just decide!!... it's what life is all about, imho... good luck!

everyone has doubts but your issue is deciding between two completely different directions. Perhaps one option is to defer your med school for one year and take that year to figure out what you want to do. Teach some at a local high school/middle school and make sure it's literature. See if that gets your blood boiling to an extent that medicine seems out of the question. I agree with the previous poster when he says that many people romanticize their love for medicine. Not everyone is 100% sure they are making the right decision but we have faith in our choices and choose to take somewhat of a blind leap. I personally chose medicine because I love working with patients and I love the fact that being a doctor requires learning new things every year.

The two biggest differences between literature and medicine other then subjects themselves will be stress. I doubt if you pursue literature you will have 8-10 years (possibly more) years of lots of stress and maybe that might sway your decision. The stress alone is enough to change fields. Many people try to downplay the financial security part but it definitely is something to consider.

Also I couldn't imagine going into medicine without loving science. I love bio (for the most part) and even some of chem because it's interesting. Obviously this doesn't take into account the level of difficulty but sometimes things seem a lot easier when you're at least half way interested. Are you sure you want to go through 2 years minimum of rigorous classes that contain loads of science (plus USMLE Step 1, which is like the MCAT from hell). I'm not trying to scare you but it just seems like you're looking for a reason not to go into medicine and I'm giving you one. I know this was long but I figure it might help the original poster who will be willing to read this.

good luck and I hope you make the right decision

It's kinda ironic that some people go into medicine for financial freedom, but end up trapped in medicine for financial reasons... I have definitely heard people say something along the lines of, "you know, med school isn't exactly what i expected, but i'm halfway done, and if i drop out now, how am I supposed to pay off my loans? I might as well stick it out and make the money." Again, financial stability is not the best reason to go into it, because it requires a huge investment...I know I'll be in debt over 200k by the end of med school, and I don't know many careers that'll allow me to easily pay that off....food for thought

I think being an academic in philosophy or literature can be just as stressful, but in a different way. To succeed in the field, it is necessary to distinguish yourself through your work. You won't find tenure at a good university unless you have published something remarkable. Also, the positions available are extremely scarce and competitive. Therefore, the stress of phil/lit involves a constant pressure to publish something amazing with the hopes of getting a decent tenure. As a physician, you are pretty much guaranteed to find work somewhere . This is not the case for an academic in phil/lit.

I agree that med school involves more actual work, but in terms of stress, I think lit/phil may have it beat. At least you know that if you get through med school, you will be okay. That is not the case for phil/lit grad school.

auricae,

i don't know if it is something you had thought of, or were even interested in pursuing, but more and more schools are allowing students to pursue MD/PhD's in the humanitie, rather than hard sciences.

i majored in philosophy and loved it. instead of graduate school i decided to go to law school. i know that i will use both my medical and law degree in my practice and career. It seems like you should be able to study philosophy or literature. I know a great med student at my school who had a PhD in English.

i certainly support people who follow their hearts. but, before you start med school i would recommend evaluating the sacrifices a medical career entails. i, and many others on this board, are happy to make such a sacrifice. but ultimately the choice is yours. i think you have a good idea of what will make you happy.

Financial freedom certainly should not be the sole reason for attending medical school, however it is definitely a great consideration. I anticipate coming out of medical school with $150,000 debt, unless I am accepted to my state school, which will mean I finish with $100,000 debt. However, with a logical and frugal financial lifestyle, I anticipate the loans being paid off within four years at maximum after residency. Furthermore, I will have the monetary investments necessary to retire within ten post residency if not soon. There aren't many careers out there that will allow you to do something you enjoy and give back as much while having the additional opportunities of early retirement. This certainly isn't to say one should retire, but rather have the option of donating more time to altruistic endeavors without having to worry about putting food on the table as you would say in your country.

Herp

Originally posted by Auricae
I agree that med school involves more actual work, but in terms of stress, I think lit/phil may have it beat. At least you know that if you get through med school, you will be okay. That is not the case for phil/lit grad school.

Auricae,

I totally agree with you on this and think that it is good you are aware of the difficulties and stress associated with your other career choice when making this decision. I was in a similar situation a few years back because I loved history, am strongest at reading, writing and analysis, and could seriously see myself going on to get a PhD and becoming a professor. I have 2 humanities professor parents who advised me not to take that path for all the reasons you mentioned above. Ultimately, I decided that I was not in love with history enough to make the sacrifices it would take to pursue it. I was also interested in science and find biology very interesting (though I am probably not as in love with science as many pre-meds I know) and that was what led me to medicine. I love the patient interaction and intellectual challenges the field offers. The ability to have a stable income, to work anywhere, and prusue a wide variety of paths from clinical practice to policy to research is also attractive to me.

But I definitely question medicine sometimes... I wonder if I might be better served doing something else that would allow me more free time and less stress or that more directly catered to my strengths in writing. Ultimately, i know that whatever I pick, I have faith that it will work out okay. Anyway, since you know what sacrifices you would have to make for both career paths, maybe that can help you with the decision. What is more important to you? Studying something that you love but that may leave you hunting for a job, teaching as an adjunct for many years? Or pursuing a field that has a long period of training in something you may not find as stimulating but that would offer you stability in terms of income? I chose the latter but I know medicine will satisfy me in a lot of ways and will not make me miserable. If you think the science will make you miserable and you'll hate it, you might want to look at other things. Have you considered public health or other fields that might be less science/more writing and analysis oriented but have better job markets than the humanities?

Good luck with your decision and feel free to PM me if you want to chat about this more.

Members don't see this ad :)
what about georgetown's MD/PhD in Philosophy?

A couple schools that I applied to had MD/PhD (bioethics) programs. Unfortunately, I didn't apply to them. I'm starting to think I am a ***** for not doing so. ughh..

Hello Auricae. I was a philosophy major and I am now in medical school. I have second guessed myself countless times since starting school this past August. I want to give you a nice pat on the back and say that medicine is the most fulfilling thing and that my decision was absolutely the right one, but I cannot. If you are more into literature, God help you. You will probably be bored out of your mind with medicine, but maybe it'll get better for you when you hit the wards. Personally, I think the only reason why I applied to medical school is because I was afraid of what I was giving up, since getting into phil grad school or law school is a lot easier than getting into medical school... and my app was fairly solid at the time. Who knows.

Thanks for all the constructive thoughts!

It's probably true that I need to have more of a love for science if I want to survive. Perhaps during my year off, I will magically discover this interest. Actually, I do find my research on cancer pretty interesting. Maybe I could pursue something there.

It's just so hard for me to understand how people get EXCITED by organic chemistry or biology. I'm thankful people like you exist but it makes my future so uncertain, since I want to be a physician yet find the basic foundation of medicine soooo booorrinnng.

I'd take reading War & Peace over doing SN2 reactions any day.
Dear God I just read this post. I don't know if this applies to most people, but personally I find medical school "science" to be MUCH more mind-numbingly dull than undergrad "science" courses. Organic chemistry seems almost interesting to me now. If I were you, I would SERIOUSLY re-consider my future plans. I've decided to stick with it because I've already blown 20K+ on the first half of the year and I'm hoping for the clinical years. But if you don't even find orgo or undergrad bio to be interesting at all, then you might have a really tough time in medical school.

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
Dear God I just read this post. I don't know if this applies to most people, but personally I find medical school "science" to be MUCH more mind-numbingly dull than undergrad "science" courses. Organic chemistry seems almost interesting to me now. If I were you, I would SERIOUSLY re-consider my future plans. I've decided to stick with it because I've already blown 20K+ on the first half of the year and I'm hoping for the clinical years. But if you don't even find orgo or undergrad bio to be interesting at all, then you might have a really tough time in medical school.

Streetphilosopher, I suffer the same doubts as you. I have worked so hard the last 4 years building a solid resume, etc. that it feels almost unimaginable not to apply at this point. I wonder if I should be giving up something solid (such as medicine) for something uncertain (like lit/phil grad school). If ONLY being a phil/lit grad was more practical!! If the career had a bit more stability, I would be all over it. But at this point, I realize that going into phil/lit grad school is so dangerous, since there is no guarantee of finding work whatsoever. On the other hand, medicine offers me a "safe" future. I guess life is all about risks, but this is such a big, life-altering decision that I just can't get myself to risk a secure future for a dream like phil/lit.

I know some people will argue that you should do what you love regardless of the outcome. Maybe that's right... I guess I have to decide soon.

It's all relative though. Compared to russian literature or philosophy, physics/orgo/bio seem mind-numbingly boring. I would rather do these, however, than take a math or econ class for example.

I guess the thing that scares me most is not having any balance in my schedule. All through undergrad, I was able to pepper my pre-med schedule with literature, philosophy, and religion classes. The thought of taking pure science classes makes me shudder. Maybe while I am in med school, I can still pursue outside interests in phil/lit but that is unlikely, considering the workload.

Streetphilosopher, I know med students who have dropped out after year 4 and beyond. You are still relatively early in the process and have not dropped that much money. If there was ever a time to get out, it would be now. Maybe you should do some clinical year stuff ahead of time to make sure you enjoy it.

I can just see my parents reaction right now, when I tell them I am giving up my acceptances to med school to apply to grad school in phil or lit. I think they might die.

Yes, I have a similar dilemma, in my case between med school and photography or photojournalism. Two very different careers, I know! I've been struggling with many of the same issues, too... though I do enjoy biology and a good bit of the other sciences.

My parents also want me to decide what I want before they help me pay for plane flights, etc. for interviews. Strangely enough (well, compared to stories I've heard from other pre-meds), over the years my parents have changed their philosophies to be more accepting of artistic-type careers...and my mom, at least, thinks I would be happier as a photographer than as a doctor.

But I do think I would miss the intellectual challenges of medicine...I guess that's not as much of an issue in your case because philosophy or lit does pose some big challenges, I know! Still, I'm not sure that I'm physically or emotionally suited to the high-stress, little-sleep lifestyle of a resident or med student.

And then just when I started seriously to consider doing photography, I get interview offers from two of the top med schools! That's a great thing, I know, but it makes me even more confused. I do think I will go to the interviews, and after some hard thinking, I am now near-convinced that medicine is right for me.

Unfortunately, I think my lack of clinical experience will show up big-time during the interviews...and I worry that the admissions committee will also think I'm not completely committed to medicine...and then I won't get in anywhere. Worst-case scenario, I know...well, then at least my decision would be made for me!

Sorry to ramble on, just wanted to let you know you're not alone in struggling with issues like these!

Karen44

Originally posted by karen44

Unfortunately, I think my lack of clinical experience will show up big-time during the interviews...and I worry that the admissions committee will also think I'm not completely committed to medicine...and then I won't get in anywhere. Worst-case scenario, I know...well, then at least my decision would be made for me!

Sorry to ramble on, just wanted to let you know you're not alone in struggling with issues like these!

Karen44

Don't stress about the lack of clinical experience. Just be sure to emphasize other strengths of your app during the interview, and point out how your more well-balanced undergraduate life will make you a far better doctor than purely science-oriented students. It actually helps that you are unique and not like the 50 million other science pre-meds applying. All of their applications look pretty much the same. The fact that yours stands out will help you, just be sure to spin it in a positive light. It works, trust me!

auricae,
from reading your posts it seems as though this is a "head vs. heart" debate - and your heart is pretty much pushing you in the direction of philosophy. if this is the case, consider the danger that when you're in med school, during the tough times, you might resent the choice you made and wonder "what if". alternatively, if you choose phil, and don't get the opportunities/job security years down the road, you might regret your decision to give up medicine.

i would have recommended the md/phd route as the best option - but it seems as though you've already applied and received acceptances, right? (if not, can you consider applying again next year to schools w/such programs - i.e. uic ?) also, at the schools at which you have been accepted, is there a possibility of working with the med school administration to craft a program where you can structure your own phd program along with/after completing med school?

if these options aren't going to work out, i guess it all boils down to how important the "sensible" aspects of a career are to you. as posts here have mentioned, keep in mind that medicine, in the short run, is hardly the ticket to financial freedom unless you're very lucky. if you do a phd in something you love, even if you're poor in the short run at least you'll be fascinated and really into what you're doing. i don't know much about how competitive a phd in philosophy program is, but you'll probably have to take the gre (not too bad tho, i hear).

just based on your posts...i'd say the phd route is the one you really want to and should take. it's a very tough choice (don't even want to begin to think of what the rents might say...) but i'd say if the passion is there, go for it. good luck w/whatever you decide!

It's so comforting to see that I am not the only one struggling with the medicine vs. something else decision. You're definitely not alone! I think about this on a daily basis.

Throughout my life I've had two great loves: Music and Medicine. I have memories from as early as 4 years old of having an affinity for both. I came from a poor, non-musical family so unfortunately they did nothing to foster my talents as a child. I was also an avid reader and thankfully they did provide me with books, including a medical encyclopedia. That was my favorite book for years and from an early age I was set on becoming a doctor when I grew up.

I was a good student and got into a top college. My first year went well (G. Chem, Physics, and Calculus). Then came second year: a barrage of personal problems coupled with the dreaded Orgo. I didn't do as well as I wanted to in Orgo. I went in with a defeated kind of attitude so I didn't really give it an honest try. I started doubting my abilities to become a doctor. And then my desire. By the time my second semester started I was convinced that the medicine thing was not the right thing to do, at least not at that time. I dropped Orgo 2 from my program and just worried about my other classes instead. One of them was a required Music course. I absolutely LOVED it! It was like a shining light during dark times. After that I dropped pre-med officially and double majored in Computer Science and Music. I had the intention of eventually going back to Medicine after graduation. That was 7 years ago.

Since graduation I've been very involved in Music. I've picked up two instruments and started playing in bands. I listen to music extensively and for a while considered getting a PhD in Ethnomusicology. It seems like the perfect field for me. I'd get to go in depth into the music I enjoy and share my knowledge with others as a professor. While it would certainly be fun and I think I would do well in it, it's not very practical. Because of the extensive field work required it normally takes 8-9 years to get the PhD. Funding is very limited and professor slots even more so. In fact, the professor who inspired me in the first place recently quit and is working some office job instead. He couldn't stand the economic uncertainty. Another person I know who's doing it says that the only way to get by is by "hustling" a lot and getting speaking gigs or writing books (among other things) to supplement income. It sounds as though you end up doing a lot of things you might not want to do just to get by. What a shame! Why would I go to school for that long to face such a dire situation? And so it is that even though I really love that field, I doubt I could be happy if my life becomes a complicated mess like that. I also have a deep love for playing my instruments, but having started as an adult, I will never be good enough to live off that alone. Plus I am lazy when it comes to practice!

I am constantly battling the music vs. medicine thing. They seem to be inversely related. Whenever I am really excited about medicine, I seem to forget music temporarily. Whenever I am very involved in music, I start doubting my willingness to give it up for medicine. For the last two years I've been thinking about medicine more and more because despite that things are going well in my life, without it I feel that something is missing. Sometimes I feel that life would be perfect if only my job was that of a doctor. I know I love the science of it. I want to know everything there is to know about medicine. I don't see myself going into a heavy patient interaction type specialty, but I am sure there is a niche for me in medicine somewhere. Other times I am so scared that I'd be making a mistake in going to medicine. I imagine myself in a hospital at midnight, crying about the nice lifestyle I gave up. The training process is what scares me to death. I can definitely see myself being a doctor and even having time for a lot of other stuff, but I have a hard time seeing me survive residency. Would I have to give up my music? And all the other things I do? Right now I have a stable, well paying job that is very boring, but allows me the freedom to be involved in all the other things I love. In order to do medicine I would have to turn my life upside down. I am willing to give up almost all of my interests but am not sure I would be completely happy if I could never play again. In fact sometimes it sounds as though I'd never be able to even listen to music anymore once I'm in school/residency.

For years this indecision has paralyzed me. I am still not 100% sure but am going to start moving ahead in it. I'm starting a postbacc program in January. As someone mentioned we only life once. And I can't go on thinking what if for the rest of my life. I have to at least try this.

I am sorry I don't have any pearls of wisdom that could help you in your decision. I just want you to know that you're not alone. Not everyone is 100% sure. Best of luck to all of you!

I think many of you who are questioning your interest in medicine as a future career should remember how many different areas of medicine there are. Forensic pathology? Diagnostic radiology? Forensic psychiatry?

Sure, we are all going to have to spend our first 2 years in preclinical lectures and labs, and then hit the standard clinical rotations for all of year 3 and part of year 4. But after that, we can enter whatever area of medicine we want.

Wow, this is a tough predicament! I can relate, because it took me the longest time to determine what my true calling is in life.

I don't think that you should be concerned about not loving science. I am sure that most M.D.-Ph.D. students love science, and maybe some of the regular M.D. students do as well. But most probably see it as a necessary step that has to be taken in order to get where they want to go. If you loathe science, maybe medicine isn't for you, but if you are fairly neutral but still view science as important to becoming a physician, you should be fine.

I think the "do what you love" advice is good, but only to a point. The real question is, how much do you love philosophy? How idealistic are you being about your day-to-day life if you choose that route? Perhaps the idea of teaching philosophy to a class is intriguing, but would your enthusiasm be affected by departmental budget cuts, competition for tenure, university politics, and non-negotiable salary? Philosophy professors are notoriously underpaid at the collegiate level when compared to Ph.D.'s in other disciplines. Does that bother you? Would the love of philosophy and the desire to teach overcome those inadequacies that you have no control over? Would spending 6-8 years obtaining your Ph.D. in philosophy, only to earn $50,000 a year, be a hard pill to swallow when a similar time investment in medical school would net you a much larger income? Is the thrill of research and academia appealing enough to you to put up with the majority of students who likely don't want to be in your class? Are the few students who genuinely want to learn what you're teaching enough to overcome the people who just want a C or D? Does it matter to you if people don't recognize the knowledge you have and the education level you've attained?

All things to consider as you approach that pronounced fork in the road.

Originally posted by Herpeto
I too am in a similar predicament. I do love science and learning which is a positive. However, I am debating whether to attend medical school or veterinary school. In either, I intend on becoming a surgeon. In medical school I will have four years of school, and five years of residency, plus three of a fellowship if I chose cardio-thoracic surgery. On the other hand, I will have four years of school, two year of working in a practice and then three years of residency in veterinary surgery. I have an equal interest in treating both animals and humans. A few of the main benefits in human medicine are the financial freedoms and greater personal contact. However, I believe veterinary medicine will provide more leisure time throughout the process to spend with my wife and family if we decide to procreate. One of the most important thing in life to me is to have financial freedom which will allow my to begin scholarship foundations for underprivileged children, volunteer time to third world countries along with donating my time to a free clinic every month in the states. In the end, I may only have one choice, as the veterinary schools don't begin interviewing until February, so I don't know if I am accepted yet.

Off topic I thought I'd way in and tell Herp that of the two choices I would lean towards vet school all things being equal. My ex-boyfriend is a vetrinarian (he went to OK State U) and basically does orthopaedic surgeries on small animials. He has learned to do total hip replacements in dogs and does fracture repairs, pins, etc. in all kinds of small animials. He never did a residency in surgery since the vet world is a lot more lax about how they practice. He absolutely loves his job, works 30 hours a week, and makes $80,000 a year with no call, no crappy hours, and a great quality of life. He actually refuses to call his job a "job" because he loves it that much. So, that's my .02 on the vet world. Good luck with both!

To the OP: I totally feel your pain. I was a film major in undergrad and absolutely love reading and writing (which come far more naturally to me than science). I also love medicine though, love physiology and pathology, and the entire "art" of healing. After a long road being a doc is the only thing I can imagine being. I think it has to be like that. I want to do this when I'm 60. It's the old cliche about medicine being a calling. I think it has to be to endure all this bull****. Good luck!

A couple schools that I applied to had MD/PhD (bioethics) programs. Unfortunately, I didn't apply to them. I'm starting to think I am a ***** for not doing so. ughh..

I was just about to suggest a bio/medical ethics path, until I read this post.

So, you have considered joint humanities programs. I can relate. I plan on doing a Theological Doctorate in addition to an MD. I love Comparative Religious Studies just as much as I love the aspects of medicine. And what is really cool, is that medicine integrates nicely with most other educational backgrounds, which is why you don't necessarily need a science undergraduate degree.

Auricae, if you do end up going to a school that has the joint program, you can always apply to the PhD side during your first year. Additionally, if the school you will attend does not have a program, attend your first 4 years in medical school, then do a PhD elsewhere, when finished, take some clinical refresher courses for about a year, complete a residency somewhere, and 'whalla!', your an MD/PhD humanities person.

Just my .02$