Secondary Challenge question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

question8

Reaction score
Hi, I'm struggling with the "describe a challenge you faced and how you overcame it" secondary prompt. Would writing about being a manager and having poor communication with an employee work? Especially if the employee's performance was impacting my job as well (having to cover for them)? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm struggling with the "describe a challenge you faced and how you overcame it" secondary prompt. Would writing about being a manager and having poor communication with an employee work? Especially if the employee's performance was impacting my job as well (having to cover for them)? Thanks in advance!
Seems OK

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like a challenging situation. It could work.

Hi! Your proposed response is sound as long as there was an action that you took to remedy a specific communications challenge. If so, this will be a great opportunity for you to highlight your skills in leadership, communication, and empathy and/or show how this situation provided a moment of self-awareness and insight that drove you to improve on these skills. Keep in mind the response model, SAR, which stands for Situation, Action, Result.

In approaching the prompt, make sure that you spend only about 20 percent of your response describing the challenge/situation, and be sure not to come across too harshly on the shortcomings of the other employee. Then take the remainder of your word count to describe what actions you took/how you remedied the situation. You will also want to reflect on what the experience taught you and how you will use these learnings in medical school and beyond.

Reactions: 2 users