So where are my GATORS???~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cobragirl

Hoohaa helper ;)
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, interveiwing is over & acceptances have been made! Who & where are all of the new GATORS?! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there cobragirl! I'm now a UF med gator!! :clap: where you at UF for undergrad or did you come from somewhere else?

Going to UF as well. Went as an undergrad and had a great time, now I get to spend another 4 years here (not to mention that I am from Gainesville as well).

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys like gainsville? Im at FSU, which is a sucky town. Im applying for admission to the 2004 class now....Miami seems like alot of fun and im wondering if its worth the exta dough to go there. Im pretty sure if a slightly inferior school but if the location makes me happy then screw the extra 10Gs a year....

Whacha think? What is there to do in gainsville....And dont say watch the gators :)

There is plenty to do in Gainesville. Gainesville is a college town that caters to the college students. Downtown bars and those across from campus are popular, most people enjoy the athletic events, and there are usually plenty of bands (and sometimes plays) to go see. Gainesville does not have as many things to do as Miami, so don't think that it would compare in quantity (maybe not even quality) but most of my friends that have come here from different cities (i.e. Tampa, Miami, Jacksonville) have definitely enjoyed their time in Gainesville.

GatorB which highschool did you go to in Gainesville. I went to Eastside.....but I'm not going UF med. I wish I was, Gainesville is a great place.

No, I went to 3 different undergrads (my hubby is active-duty Navy) and graduated from U of West Florida.

Personally, I like Gainesville. No, I have no intention of staying here once I graduate, but that's mostly because I just want to get out of the south for a few years. I'm ready for some colder weather. I also spent a couple of years in Tallahassee (not going to school - my parents live there) and I don't think there is ANY comparison. Gainesville, is a MUCH nicer place to live, period. It really is more "student friendly", there is MUCH more to do - even if it means driving the hour or so to Orlando or Jacksonville to do it.

As for medical schools, I think my opinion about UFCOM is a little biased at this point (I love it) but I can't imagine anyone thinking that FSU's med school is better than Miami or USF. The latter schools have great programs and HISTORY that FSU does not. I'm not saying that FSU doesn't have the same "potential" as the other schools, but the program is just too new and unproven to compete against the likes of the "big 3" right now. However, that said, I also think that FSU's program offers an extremely unique experience that would be excellent for the 'right' applicant!

Hope to hear from more of you & can't wait to see you in the halls!

GO GATORS! :)

I went to Gainesville High

yep I went here as an undergraduate as well. I loved Gainesville as an undergrad, there was always tons to do, and I met some of the coolest people I have ever met! The medical students that I have met here are really nice. I think I will be ready to go though by the time I graduate, I've always wanted to see what living in a big city is like! Of course I am biased towards UF also, but I think its not worth it to shell out all that dough for UM when UF has a program thats just as good (or even better!) and half the price! Can I ask where you guys are all living? I'm looking for apartments and am going crazy. Where do you think would be good for professional students to live? Thanks, and I can't wait to meet you guys! :)

Would ya'll mind posting your stats? I'm a florida resident applying to UF for next fall and I'm worried I won't get in with my 25 on the mcat. :(

Like everyone will say, it is your whole application that counts, but you might want to consider retaking the exam in August. I think that the average MCAT of last years class was a 29.7 and most likely this years class will be similar as well. Just to give you some hope though, I do know someone who I believe got a 26 MCAT score that got in for the class of 2005. I am not 100% sure about the score, but I believe that is correct.

Hey guys,
One more gator checking in. I just graduated from UF undergrad, and have signed up for another 4 year tour. I do love Gainesville, its a great town for its size. Can't wait to meet everyone!

-Jon