some thoughts on attitudes here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jay c

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'd just like to share some thoughts on some attitudes I have noticed here at studentdoctor.net.

For the most part, people here are nice, friendly, and helpful to their collegues. However, there are some individuals who often make snide, derisive, or condescending remarks. Perhaps the competitiveness of the premedical regimen with the coursework requirement, the MCATs and the applications process brings out the worst in some individuals. So far, I have gone through medical school, finished my internal medicine residency in Boston, and am in my GI fellowship. The truly outstanding doctors I have met are those that have stayed true to the ideals of medicine (in my humble opinion): selflessness, compassion, humility, and complete dedication to helping their fellow human being. This not only extends to patient care, but also to their collegues, fellow students, and support staff, such as nurses, techs, etc.

In my experience, patient care is a multidisciplinary, cooperative assignment, requiring teamwork from the patient, patient's family, nurses, students, housestaff, attendings and consultants. The more cooperation and mutual respect we have, the better we all are as doctors.

So, please. For those who have been accepted, congratulations. For those accepted into the "top" programs, congratulations. But, please do not condescend to those that have not been accepted, or ask about DO or foreign programs, or are reapplying, or simply trying to learn more about the process. Take that same time, and leave a helpful, courteous message.

Thanks for listening.

Members don't see this ad.

very well put. right on the mark.

hey jay c--

just wanted to clear a few things up, as i often drench my posts in pre-allo in sarcasm (okay, fine, i drench the grand majority of my posts in sarcasm but that's beside the point). those of us who respond sarcastically to questions like "will it make a difference if i wear a skirtsuit or a pantsuit to my interview?" or people who poke fun of threads that debate the merits of stapling vs. paperclipping your secondaries do this just to lighten the place up. pre-allo is a place where people who are very, very stressed (with good reason) tend to take things a mite bit too seriously, and therefore cause themselves more unnecessary stress. it's a vicious cycle. those of us who have been through it are just trying to lighten the mood and remind folks to not take themselves so seriously. we'll all feel better if we laugh at ourselves once in awhile.

and i think you'll find that those of us who have been around awhile really just don't care if you go to an ivy school or to a lowly state school (go pirates!), and just don't care about the DO/MD debate. there's a difference between lighthearted teasing and actual ridicule.

and on that note, i return to my normal, sarcastic, hunter-green avoiding ways. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
jay c, your post is right on the mark...and i agree w/sweet tea. not taking oneself too seriously helps out a ton in this process, esp when so much is riding on where you get interviews/applicatons/acceptances etc. the sarcasm (as long as it's not too harsh/pointed) works well in giving me a few laughs, at least ;)

I agree with everyone in the most helpful manner possible. I am very agreeable. I agree on a regular basis. I was once even spotted agreeing in my sleep. I support you all. I agree with supporting. I am not however - a bra or jock strap, who am I?

answer: the boy wonder

Originally posted by jmwalker
I agree with everyone in the most helpful manner possible. I am very agreeable. I agree on a regular basis. I was once even spotted agreeing in my sleep. I support you all. I agree with supporting. I am not however - a bra or jock strap, who am I?

answer: the boy wonder

stop trying to confuse people jimbo. one minute you claim to be a girl, the next you claim to be the infamous 'boy wonder'. I think not. Not even I could have all the posts I have AND be posting all the rubbish you put on here ;)

I think you'll find that most people on here are really decent and caring. Maybe our class was a bit more sarcastic than most, but if you look at some old threads, our main victims were ourselves. It's so important to keep a sense of humor through this process, and if you can't laugh at the ridiculousness once in a while, you'll go crazy and burn out. We're really providing a valuable service here. :D ;)

Originally posted by tBw
stop trying to confuse people jimbo. one minute you claim to be a girl, the next you claim to be the infamous 'boy wonder'. I think not. Not even I could have all the posts I have AND be posting all the rubbish you put on here ;)

*dons cape and mask - challenges the artist former known as the boy wonder to a duel*

Originally posted by Woots32
I think you'll find that most people on here are really decent and caring. Maybe our class was a bit more sarcastic than most, but if you look at some old threads, our main victims were ourselves. It's so important to keep a sense of humor through this process, and if you can't laugh at the ridiculousness once in a while, you'll go crazy and burn out. We're really providing a valuable service here. :D ;)
has this class caught on to the usefullness and how necessary it is to have their own personal hunter green cock ring yet?!?!?!

how will they make it otherwise???? :confused:

Originally posted by seaworthc
has this class caught on to the usefullness and how necessary it is to have their own personal hunter green cock ring yet?!?!?!

how will they make it otherwise???? :confused:

LOL:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

great post jay c... while i agree with many of you that a lot of people in the pre-allo forum could probably benefit from being a little more lighthearted, i also have to say that from what i've seen in this forum, a lot of criticism and sarcasm doesn't seem to do anything to calm nerves...

i have a friend that posted in this forum in the spring... she was in the middle of the application process, and she was going through a really rough time (both of her parents had just been killed in a car accident, among other things...)... she posted a question that people thought was anal, and she got flamed to no end... no, those responses did not make her feel any better, only worse... it really, really saddened me to think we can't give others the benefit of the doubt in this process... sorry if i'm in the minority on this one, but i just don't think there's any good reason to poke fun at others' concerns... as jay c said, let's offer an encouraging word, or, at the very least, refrain from responding to the posts that don't appeal to us...

Originally posted by trauma_junky
LOL:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
to discover the orgin of the hunter green cock ring, please read at least pages 1 and 2 of the affirmative action thread. you may actually enjoy yourself enough to go farther than that! ;)