SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND MSAR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sampats

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, so I'm ORM and was wondering if someone could explain how I should use MSAR.

The advice given to me is that as an ORM, I should only apply to schools where I am >25th percentile. Is this true?

In other words, is it okay to apply to schools where I am below the 25th percentile as an ORM?

Members don't see this ad.

No.

If you only apply to schools in which you’re above the percentile, there is a decent chance you may get yield/resource protected.

Of course include some of these schools (particularly ones in which there is a geographic/mission fit), but also feel free to apply to a bunch of schools where your numeric stats are at or above 50th. 25th is when it starts to get a bit dicey, especially if you don’t have some good ECs/interesting background, but I wouldn’t consider it a donation until you’re below that.

Imo, asking on the SDN WAMC subforum is the best way to create a school list. Just give your stats and a rough outline of ECs (while maintaining anonymity) and posters can give you suggestions.

Hello everyone, so I'm ORM and was wondering if someone could explain how I should use MSAR.

The advice given to me is that as an ORM, I should only apply to schools where I am >25th percentile. Is this true?

In other words, is it okay to apply to schools where I am below the 25th percentile as an ORM?
Nope, apply to schools where you are >10th %ile.

UNLESS, you are gunning for Really Top Schools and you are < their 25th %iles.

Now, if you have a really compelling story, or killer ECs, or a slew of pubs and/or match thier mission, somebody has to be in thier 10th %iles, so why not you?

Always pay attention to the IS/OOS numbers of the state schools.

Better you, post in WAMC and we can advise you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I took the approach of applying to as many schools as possible, a mix of everything.

Try not to base your school list on ORM/URM status. Apply to ~25% "reach" schools, ~25% "easy" schools, and ~50% mid-tier schools. Depending on your stats/overall app, the specific schools that comprise these categories will vary widely.

As was said above, pay close attention to percentage IS/OOS, as well as school mission (don't apply to Loma Linda if you are not religious, for example). Other than that, get an idea about which schools to apply to based on average GPA and MCAT for each school, and the standard deviation in their average GPA (I think this is still included but not sure). Try to apply to schools where you are somewhat in the middle of their average GPA/MCAT range.

Good luck!