Step 2 CS Oasis trick - no way...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

El Duderino

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Step 2 CS score was reported in oasis earlier today. I tried the oasis trick, and it let me start a new application. Now, there is NO WAY I failed that thing. What's worse, if I did fail, I have no idea what I did wrong. Sure, I made a couple of minor mistakes and forgot to drape one patient until midway into his history, but otherwise I felt pretty solid about the whole thing.

I'm pretty sure my notes were good, too.

As for the spoken English part, I'll just quote Ralph Wiggum: "Me fail English? That's unpossible!"

I'll wait until I get my score report, and then we'll see...

If anyone has any words of consolation/hope, let'er rip. :)

Members don't see this ad.

What is oasis? Dude, I took my CS today...horrible. I even forgot to wash my hands with the first patient. Even though I settled down and at least washed my hands/draped the other patients, it was not a good time. And I don't see how the thing can be objectively scored. Positive points for getting the first item in the differential correct? Negative for putting something in the differential that shouldn't be there or ordering unnecessary test?

I really don't want to have to go through that again.

I hate to say it, but you may want to start studying again. I personally know 2 people who were allowed to register and they both got the "fail" via the mail. We were hoping it was a mistake. THe good thing is that if you do fail they will list exactly where you lost your points.

Keep your chin up and Good luck

El Duderino said:
My Step 2 CS score was reported in oasis earlier today. I tried the oasis trick, and it let me start a new application. Now, there is NO WAY I failed that thing. What's worse, if I did fail, I have no idea what I did wrong. Sure, I made a couple of minor mistakes and forgot to drape one patient until midway into his history, but otherwise I felt pretty solid about the whole thing.

I'm pretty sure my notes were good, too.

As for the spoken English part, I'll just quote Ralph Wiggum: "Me fail English? That's unpossible!"

I'll wait until I get my score report, and then we'll see...

If anyone has any words of consolation/hope, let'er rip. :)

Good luck man.

Members don't see this ad :)
I already got my passing score in the mail. When I tried to register, it let me start the process (I didn't go all the way to try to pay...didn't want to accidentally pay $1000). Don't worry yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Please let us know if passed. The people I was talking about actually registered and payed for the exam. THey figured they would get their money back if they passed. Did you actually finish the registration and pay for the exam?

I'll get back to you when my dreaded score card arrives. I still can't see myself failing, but I've been wrong before...

Thanks for your input, everyone... :)

don´t worry, i forgot to wash my hands before examen the first patient too, also regarding the drapping part, as long as you do it it´s fine, dosn´t matter if you do it right when you get in the room, during history or during physical. I did it in the way I felt it was approbriate....why interupting a pt in the beginning if he talks like a ......to drape him. Well, have abaout 4 more weeks before my results.....

I thought that draping and hand washing was supposed to be after the history/before the physical...that was the way it was laid out in 1st Aid. Regardless, I am clueless about how I did, but it wasn't great. All the SPs were very vague, and I defintely blanked on several ddx's.

I am concerned about ho it looks to your residency program if you failed....will they hold it against you? It seems like everyone, attendings included, think the whole thing is a joke, but it still wouldn't exactly be a badge of honor to not pass the first time.

Best of luck El Dude....I hope you are at least near a testing center.

you are right....i forgot the important part. i did read about treats on this forum, where people were able to register all the way, but still passed! So good luck. Also you never know in four weeks you might get a letter again invalidating your results because somebody screwed up again .......oh well

Well, that was interesting... It turns out I did actually fail. And the funniest thing of them all is I failed the CIS part, on everything else (data gathering, patient note, English proficiency) I was "asterisked" (off the scale). On the CIS, I was half borderline, half lower.

I'm baffled. Really. I don't have the slightest idea what I did wrong. Through all of medical school, the one constant piece of feedback I've always gotten is how well I communicate with patients and colleagues alike.

Now, where's that "recheck" form...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry to hear that you failed. This test is a big piece of crap! You probably did very well on certain aspects of the CIS, but the section is divided into 4 areas:

1. Rapport...did you establish a connection (smile, look confident, make the patient feel at ease)?
2. Interviewing Skills....did you just rattle off questions in a robotic way?
3. personal manner....Any chewing gum, slouching, eye contact, look messy?
4. Counseling....Did you talk about EVERY positive finding and what to do to correct correct the situation (Smoking, Drinking, Drugs, Abuse, Medication compliance, etc.). If they dont eat properly, give them a good diet plan. If they don't exercise, gently let them know they need to be more active.

Most people score well in interviewing skills and personal manner but miss out on rapport and counseling.

You nailed the other areas of the test (the hardest) so I would take it again ASAP and practice the other areas for 1 or 2 weeks before. Good luck and keep your chin up!

Thanks Swaydaa, I think I did well on 1-3.

I'm pretty sure I didn't do enough counseling, since I didn't go out of my way to talk about things that were in no way related to the case at hand. I tried to go about the case doing what I'd do if I saw the patient in the emergency room. In retrospect it was not the right strategy... :-/

Right now, I'm not too keen on going across the Atlantic for another day of utter uselessness, but maybe I'll change my mind at some point within the six years that's left of my eligibility... ;-)

Dude... when did you take the CS?
Cuz I took it on April 8th... 7 weeks ago and no news...
Sorry about your luck, but this was my 2nd attempt also...
this exam is messed up, I went down in Patient Note the first try...
Thanks in advance for any info.

Total BS. For those of you that were unlucky enough to fail (key word is unlucky, because after taking this piece of crap I believe that it in no way adequately measures your clinical skills), please answer a few questions.

What is the window that you have in which to retake it?
Same cost?
Does this it show up on your license or reported to your residency that you failed, assuming you take it again and pass?

Oh yeah, and anyone know if they are going to drop this requirement any time soon?

Best of luck to all.

I'm an IMG, so the only "window" I have is that all steps must be completed within a seven year period.

The cost is the same. Another $1200 down the drain. I assume it does show up as a failed attempt, but as far as I've heard, most sane people consider this test a joke anyway. However, I can tell you right now that the test will not be dropped, and the reasons are purely political.

Dramkinola: I took it on April 1st (it has occurred to me that this may be a joke and that the real score report will be here soon, but I'm not sure it's going to happen).

blocks said:
Total BS. For those of you that were unlucky enough to fail (key word is unlucky, because after taking this piece of crap I believe that it in no way adequately measures your clinical skills), please answer a few questions.

What is the window that you have in which to retake it?
Same cost?
Does this it show up on your license or reported to your residency that you failed, assuming you take it again and pass?

Oh yeah, and anyone know if they are going to drop this requirement any time soon?

Best of luck to all.
Wishful thinking that they would drop this requirement.
They had 38 cases last month of people who were "accidently" failed. They sent out apologize, new score sheets saying they passed, and a check reimbursing the 1200 for second attempt registrations.
They only changed those scores that were CLEARLY passes. They wanted to minimize the cases of mistaken outcomes, so they changed the minimal amount of candidates' results. My first score sheet showed an all out fail.
My second score report had my score interval spanning from passing into failing. If you pass, they do not give you a score breakdown because they do not want you to know what level passing is at.
Unbelievable the kind of scam they're running.
They know the IMG's who may have lost residencies will never sue them. Because fear of not getting into a residency and getting deported.
P.S. this is not BS cuz the guy I was studdying with went from fail to pass, and I saw the score sheets.

Dramkinola: I took it on April 1st (it has occurred to me that this may be a joke and that the real score report will be here soon, but I'm not sure it's going to happen).[/QUOTE]

At least u know one way or another. I took mine March 8th in atlanta (yes march 8th that is not a typo) and still havent got my score. They did send this email...
"We are contacting you because the reporting of your Step 2 Clinical Skills (CS) results has been delayed. As previously announced on the USMLE website (www.usmle.org), a problem was identified with the software used to support the scoring of the Step 2 CS examination. This affected some examinees whose scores were reported earlier this year. YOUR STEP 2 CS OUTCOME WAS NOT AFFECTED BY THIS PROBLEM. However, because of the necessary reanalysis of the records of those who were affected, a general delay in the processing and reporting of results has occurred.

We are mindful of the need to score Step 2 CS both accurately and expeditiously. We regret this temporary delay and want to assure you that your Step 2 CS results will be reported as quickly as possible. "

How reassuring... :scared:

woah... that crap is still going on?
then how come El Duderino got his score?
Maybe they're rechecking the old one's and not the new ones?
I ned to get my score, ASAP, so I can get my ECFMG certificate...
I literally lost a residency spot cuz of the fail...

Dramkinola said:
woah... that crap is still going on?
then how come El Duderino got his score?
Maybe they're rechecking the old one's and not the new ones?
I ned to get my score, ASAP, so I can get my ECFMG certificate...
I literally lost a residency spot cuz of the fail...

Got my score back today and I passed thank god. Gl to the rest of you

I took my test on April 8th in Philadelphia, and just got my scores back today - PASS PASS PASS, thank god. This thread had me very anxious, and since I did poorly on my school's OSCE, I had reason to be nervous. Anyway, good luck to everyone still waiting on your scores. I know that I definitely messed up at least 2 of my cases (no idea of what the problem was), and ran out of time on my exam for another, but still passed, so there is some slack built into the system.

Dang... y'all got me worried...
I took mine on April 8th in Houston and my scores not even posted as sent yet...

I wouldn't worry about it, Dram, they should come very soon. I literally live 8 blocks from where the scores are sent from, so they probably sent April 8th scores out 2 days ago, and yours will come soon.

yeah... but mine aren't even showing as been mailed yet...
oh well...