STEP 2 required for interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sir Jun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just got an email from North Shore / LIJ stating that my application will not be considered complete until I've taken Step 2. This info was not on FREIDA or on the program's website.

Anyone having any similar problems?

Other programs that anyone knows about that require STEP 2 in the application?

Thanks,

Dan

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm...didn't know about that. They should definitely list requirements on their website.

I took Step 2 already, so luckily I don't have to worry. :)

Don't know any specific programs but I recall a discussion here about 2 years ago over Neuro programs which required Step 2 but didn't bother to mention that anywhere.

Seems awfully unfair to me, especially if you've paid to apply to their program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've rechecked some programs' websites. Here's what I've noticed:

Boston University considers Step 2 scores "highly desireable" and therefore "highly recommends" having taken it prior to interviewing.

Another Mass. program, Baystate Medical Center, does state on their website that they require Step 2.

North Shore/LIJ definitely does not address the need for Step 2 on their website anywhere.

I just assumed that early Step 2 was recommended for those who wanted to enhance a Step 1 that the applicant was not satisfied with. It looks like this may no longer be the case.

Guess these days, it's becoming more and more "recommended" that applicants have both Step 1 and Step 2 scores in.

Then again, some programs use Step 2 scores as part of their initial "screen" before offering interview invites, no?

I applied to North Shore/LIJ and they didn't say anything about Step 2. Did they email you to ask you where it was or something? How did it come up?

rubyness said:
I applied to North Shore/LIJ and they didn't say anything about Step 2. Did they email you to ask you where it was or something? How did it come up?

The email me personally AND they sent a mass email out, but this was a couple of weeks ago. I have gotten an interview there, so I guess it's not a requirement for that; but I was told they wanted Step 2 by the time of the creating of the ranking list.

Dan