STEP 3 Score VS USMLE WORLD AVERAGE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FirstMANdown

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a great thread for Step 2ck VS UW%. I though it might be helpful if anyone out there can give us there input with there Step 3 VS UW%...etc as well. Anyways Thanks for the contribution.

I'm do to take Step 3 in the next month. Will update this thread as well. For better or for worse. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
229/98.
I went through all of USMLE world on tutor mode with a first time pass rate of 55%. I continued to do my incorrect questions until they were all correct. Spent time doing most of the CCS cases and also used Archer review as I had heard it was worth the money and time to listen to the 24 or so hours of lecture. In the end I was happy with the results!

Members don't see this ad :)
229/98.
I went through all of USMLE world on tutor mode with a first time pass rate of 55%. I continued to do my incorrect questions until they were all correct. Spent time doing most of the CCS cases and also used Archer review as I had heard it was worth the money and time to listen to the 24 or so hours of lecture. In the end I was happy with the results!

When did you take your exam? I took mine about 2 1/2 weeks ago and was curious how long the results take to come back?

Anyone else who recently got their results back, which dates did you take yours?

I relied heavily on this forum and thread during my prep. Now that I've completed this thing -- just hours ago -- I want to give my take on the exam. I'm middle of the road when it comes to the Steps, Step 1: 226, Step 2: 243. I studied for about 4 weeks using Master the Boards and UWorld Qbank and CCS. I completed the bank at 58%, but felt I had massive gaps in my knowledge. As others have commented, MTB was mediocre to okay in its content and presentation. However, neither adequately covered material presented on the exam close to what I expected -- the actual questions were far more vague, far more complicated, and far more weighed down in extraneous detail. Seriously, for half of the questions on my exam were paragraphs long, and I could have read only the final line to answer the question. This system really wears you down.
My recommendation would still be the most popular method: MTB + UWorld. I looked at several other resources, including as I went along in my preparation, and none were sufficient for this test. I think they're great to get you in the mindset of the exam; understanding the reasoning sequence and going step by step in a workup. Go with these and hope for the best. Just know, at least for my CCS, 7 of the 9 cases were MUCH more involved than the ones in UWorld. UWorld is so focused -- it hands you a clear diagnosis without much of a differential after the H&P. Yet, few of my cases were so clear. I was required to managed multiple medical problems, and often was working though 2-3 serious differentials, and the possible secondary effects of each possible primary diagnosis. In other words, the vagueness in the MCQs spills over into the CCS. Don't underestimate this exam. Honestly, it feels great to be done, but now I'm worrying I failed this thing. I'm happy to help if anyone has questions.

Prep:
1) usmle world 100% complete, random/new questions only - overall 52%, but was ending with 54-58% avg
2)NBME 1 week before exam = 450
3)did all of the usmlworld 52 CCS cases
4)usmleworld assessment exam 2 days before real exam, predicted 205 on real exam (but did horrible on exam, 2 blocks 42% correct, and 2 at 52%)
5)also used CRUSH step 3 here and there
-all of the above was during rotations (few hours after work, or saturday), i'm a family medicine resident..... took 1.5 weeks off to do full time studying

Actual exam:
203 / 84
-exam was similar to NBME, but i felt I did worse than how i felt with nbme and the breakdown of how i did was much worse on real exam as compared to nbme, but still passed. So be optomistic!
-cases were tougher than usmleworld (but I think that is based on luck, I got some simple ones as well), but usmleworld cases is a good tool

I wasn't gunning for a high score. So I am happy I am done with this crap.
My advise, make sure you do NBME atleast a week or two prior. Also do the usmleworld assessment (it was almost exact with my actual score).

Goodluck to everyone!

Just got my Step 3 score today- 211/88.
I did about 60% of UW questions and only scored 51%.
Also did entire Kaplan q-book twice (not as helpful as UW, in my opinion).
Also did UW CCS cases twice through, which really saved my *****!

Members don't see this ad :)
Have any of you been doing the downloadable practice one that is free on their website.

I did pretty horrible on USMLE World (avg 45%), but got around 80% on the practice. How does this seem to compare to the real thing?

Also, I seemed to smoke the CCS practice tests. Are these easier than the real ones?

Just your reassurance is great, I'm kind of anxiety-prone, I'm guessing like you--so knowing you weathered the storm, and felt good about the outcome is reassuring. It's good to know you're another data point in a trend of people who felt beat up by the test and came out ok, so hopefully I can persevere through the thing w/o it psychologically traumatizing me. If you personally feel you can offer any pearls by virtue of your experience, by all means let me know...hopefully I'll be doing the same in a month or 2 from now :)
let me know if you need anything.

OK, so I'm not the best exam taker in the world... I am a 4th year path resident who decided to foolishly wait to take this exam. I pretty much only used Crush and UW.

UW completed: 65%
Percentile: 51
Step III: 198

I pretty much did 48 mcq random blocks. I read through Crush once and it really wasn't what I would call focused study time. I think I let the book cover my face most of the time in hopes that the knowledge would diffuse into my brain. I spent the majority of my time flipping through questions on UW. I also did the CCS cases in UW (this may have saved my ass as I seemed to have a "higher performance" on this section than most. ;)

I think the UW CCS cases are just fine. I didn't go through all of the cases as carefully as most of you may have, but I made sure I knew my bread and butter topics (e.g. DKA, etc).

Screw this exam. Screw the $730. On to bigger and better things...

I feel like I should post something here since I used your advice.

I decided to wait to take Step III until WELL into my residency. I studied about 1.5 wks, did about half of UW batting about 52-54% (40s - some 80s). Read OB, peds, and stats sections of Crush, which I can say was very high yield for someone who hasn't seen that material since med school 3yrs ago... Goal was to clear the bar.

209/87

It is quite satisfying to be done with the USMLE...

Good luck to you all and I think the advice in this thread is pretty good.

HECK YEAH!!!!! USMLE is hx!

Jeez SDN... it's been awhile, but here's my mini-contribution

Step 1: 218/90
Step 2: 243/99
Step 3: 221/93 :soexcited: SCORE!!!!!

Ok, my study plan was fairly non-existent since I pretty much relied heavily on my prior step 2 knowledge for this one! I went through 50% of WORLD with an average of about 55% and I did maybe 5-6 of the CCS cases just to get a feel for the software and stuff. I also glanced at the USMLE website materials. Total study time = 1.5wks (3 hours a day except for 7-10 hour days on the weekend before my exam).

Exam experience:
DAY 1 - EXHAUSTING!!! Question stems start out not so bad, then they just wear down on you as the day goes on. Lots of randomness, but also bread and butter stuff that I either seen on shelf exams or prior steps. I left day one feeling like I passed thus far, but not with flying colors by any means!

DAY 2 - More randomness, and two of the blocks I just chucked the deuces on and guessed my way to freedom because I was tired of the mind games! On to the CCS cases! They were so easy-cheesy! One-step management and counseling was all that most needed and I felt the few practice cases I did on WORLD were more than adequate preparation! The cases were actually, dare I say, FUN and were a nice end to this beast of an exam!

So yeah, overall, quite happy with my score and would not have done anything different in my prep except to have taken it much earlier (I'm a pediatric intern, halfway done with the year, yahoo!!!!!)

mark my time is coming soon...I sort of am reliving your recent posts. All the other steps I was very comfortable with finishing, though never really feel 'ready' with completing my studying for this one...despite the fact that I was overzealous, and my scores were decent on uw and kaplan. I'm wondering if this is a common feeling for a lot of people? I can't help shaking it, I think it's more the ambiguity of what they seek from you in this...I'm sure peds/fp/im/em residents don't feel this way, but there's a whole lot of specialty residents and others waiting to match that prob feel this way

you'll be fine, promise.
for me the hardest part was ccs. stay strong during that, and take breaks.
the mcq were vague and i was sure i bombed them, but i did well on them.. so one never knows.
stay strong during the exam, do not second guess yourself, i repeat: do not second guess yourself. only allow yourself to change 4-5 answers per block, if that.
i think the key to this exam is doing tons of questions. and perfecting your ccs skills.:thumbup:
you'll do great:)

oh yeah, i would do the nbme, it predicted my score within 4 points

mark...thx for the followup and the moral support :)...I can tell you I feel alot like you prob did, though am getting that feeling like 'ugh, I need to pull the trigger sooner or later, if I'm not ready now I'll never be ready'.
good to know about ur advice...although I didn't follow what you did exactly, I probably did around as much as you did in quantity. I'm a wk away and I did all of uw getting about 56-57, ---afterwards I redid the incorrect ones. went through uw ccs cases twice, the written out ones only once. Did kaplan q book w/ % bw the 60s and 70s. Am about to complete the kaplan step 3 lecture notes (I'm unsure why nobody mentions these, as I think theyre pretty good). Did the kaplan step 3 pocket whitecoat book. W/ the last wk I'll probably complete fa, mtb, and if time permits relook over kaplan q book questions (uw is expired so isn't an option)

Always find test review threads useful:

USMLEworld Average 70% - answered all questions, redid 25% of wrong ones

step 1 - 264
step 2 - 258
step 3 - 250

A downward trend

I am a TY (not a cush 6 month elective TY-unfortunately) person going into rads next year. Started studying in July/August and took the test end of November. I am not a crammer so try to do a little bit here and there. I predominantly used USMLEworld. I think their multiple choice questions are fairly good. They do get a little picky at times but overall very good. I found their CCS bank to be very good and great practice for the real thing.

I also used Master the boards. A good short book that focuses on the big stuff. Easy to read and feels somewhat interactive with questions & pics. Doesn't cover everything but a very good resource. Only complaint is that USMLE world and MTB don't alway agree on the best treatment/plan.

My take on Step 3 is that there is just too much information that can be tested. Some questions you won't know the answer to unless your going into that field. So you have to figure your gonna lose on a few. I feel the test is the same as the other 2 in the style questions are asked etc.

My advice is to pick a as few resources as you can and try to know them thoroughly. We just don't have the time to study for this as we did in medical school and it is not realistic to try to replicate that.

my prep has been erratic at best with hour here and there over the last couple of months. i have finished about 70% of qbank with about 58% and world simulated exam estimating 222. i'm kind of hesitant to take this exam in 3 days, perhaps don't feel as prepared as i was for the previous times. any thoughts whether i should postpone or go with as planned for in 3 days? thanks for your thoughts and time.

Hey all, Great Thread!!
Just starting to study for this (scheduled to take it 2/24-2/25) with USMLE-W. Was wondering about peoples experience with the review books...specifically I was looking into Crush which I had thought was one of the best however it looks like the most recent version was 2008. Has anyone had an issue with this not having been updated in a few years? It looks like MTB is 2009 and FAID I think is a yearly release. In fact they now have these available for the Kindle/Android which is less expensive, however I am already going to be staring at a screen doing World...maybe some actual paper would me a nice change. Any advice would be great. In the mean time GOOD LUCK to anyone getting ready for this thing!!

it's a horrible exam and the review books out there are just as sh*tty.
i used first aid 2ck and mtb.... i passed, so i guess it did the trick... but i hated mtb, and in retrospect first aid was probably a waste of my time.
i think the key is tons of questions...it doesn't matter too much what book you use...pick one you trust and stick with it...
practice ccs too,
GL...

it's a horrible exam and the review books out there are just as sh*tty.
i used first aid 2ck and mtb.... i passed, so i guess it did the trick... but i hated mtb, and in retrospect first aid was probably a waste of my time.
i think the key is tons of questions...it doesn't matter too much what book you use...pick one you trust and stick with it...
practice ccs too,
GL...

Hey Mark,
Thanks a lot, I appreciate the reply!!

Felt bad about not sharing, hope this doesn't freak too many people out...

Step 1: 213
Step 2: 217

UW Average 52% random untimed, UWSA 217. Also used UW CCS and Crush Step 3

Actual Step 3: 194

Disappointed in my score, but really happy to be done.

Signed up to forum today so could give back to others since I found it helpful and reassuring to read correlations before and after taking Step 3.
USMLEWORLD: 50% (used it to study - tutor mode non-timed mostly)
USMLEWORLD: Cases - went through interactive once, and skimmed paper cases.
USMLEWORLD: simulation test, 186 (2 weeks before test)
NBME Step 3 Practice Test: 208 (~8 weeks before test)
STEP 3 results today: Three digit 200, 2 digit 82 PASSED
Also used crush step 3.
Thank goodness finally done with the STEPS! Good luck to ALL of you!

Signed up to forum today so could give back to others since I found it helpful and reassuring to read correlations before and after taking Step 3.
USMLEWORLD: 50% (used it to study - tutor mode non-timed mostly)
USMLEWORLD: Cases - went through interactive once, and skimmed paper cases.
USMLEWORLD: simulation test, 186 (2 weeks before test)
NBME Step 3 Practice Test: 208 (~8 weeks before test)
STEP 3 results today: Three digit 200, 2 digit 82 PASSED
Also used crush step 3.
Thank goodness finally done with the STEPS! Good luck to ALL of you!

Congratulations! When did you take your test? I took mine Dec 20/21 which was 3 weeks agi but I didn't get any results today.

I checked out this thread so I thought I would share:

Did about 150 questions from USMLE World and reviewed the cases (read only the explanations). Then read Crush x1 and skimmed First Aid x1 (except the cases) focusing on my weak areas.

Total of about 5 hours x 3 days (15 hours) preparing for the test.

208/86

I'm pretty amazed at how well I did considering my outright lack of preparation. But, I've heard EM people tend to do well on it...that said the Emergency Department clinical setting was my lowest out of the 3! :eek:

Oh, and I took it on 12/13-12/14 as well and just got it last week. I'd assume the holidays added a week to the usual of 3 weeks to reporting.

Goodbye USMLE forever!

Took my exam 12/28-29. Just got my score back today.

I studied on one of my easy months, about 0-1 hour a day, UW qbank did about 50 questions on weekdays and weekends 100. Finished about 90% of the questions.

Avg: 58%

I went through the cases, the first few I tried to simulate, but then ended up just reading the explanations.

Step 1: 251/99
Step 2: 244/99
Step 3: 228/97:thumbup:

Wooo! Good luck to all of you, it's a process we all have to get through, see you on the other side!!:)

Took exam Dec 20-21; after leaving the prometric office I was thinking I had most certainly failed. BUT, just got my score report last week and pleasantly surprised I got 213/89 on the test. No more USMLE's!

I did all the UW questions (in 48-question timed blocks only; 53%) as well as reading most (but not all) of Master the Boards. I completed about 25 of the the UW CCS cases, and listened to the Archer lecture on CCS which I also found helpful.

My CMSA was 580 and SimExam was 217 (very accurate IMHO, my actual being 213). I took both of these the week before my actual test.

Thanks to everybody on this forum for sharing their experiences. Good luck to all!

hi guys,

i'm doing UW q's, 48q each block timed just like the real thing.. and only averaging 56-60%!! my Step3 is coming up soon, should i be really worried... :scared:

Wanted to give my 2 cents on Step 3. I took it last week. I'm a PGY-1 EM resident.

I started studying about 6 weeks out by just doing some practice questions from the Kaplan Step 2 and Step 3 Qbooks that I/my co-residents had lying around. I'd do these either before or after shifts. About 3 weeks before the exam, I activated my USMLE World subscription and received MTB by mail (hooray for my residency program paying for both!!)

I had my "easy" month in January (anesthesia) which was essentially 7am to 2-3pm M-F. The rest of the time, including weekends, was spent reading MTB and doing practice questions. I was off of work for the 4 days prior to my exam. True to my form on Steps 1 and 2, I would read a chapter in MTB, and then do the corresponding UW questions in untimed tutor mode, reading the entire explanation for each question. I started with the topics I'm less comfortable with (rheum, derm, GU, peds, OB) and left the topics I'm more comfortable with (cards, surg, GI, tox) for last. To be honest I ran out of time and didn't get through all of the chapters of MTB, and I only finished about 66% of the UW questions. I didn't really do any cardio or GI questions at all, and left those up to fate. On an intern's schedule, you can only do so much.

I averaged a 70% on UW, and those were weighted towards the subjects I'm weakest at, so I figured that was good enough. I wasn't going to torture myself over this stupid hoop like I did for Step 1 and 2.

MTB was a waste of time and not very helpful. If I could do it all over again I would've just used UW. I agree with the above user who mentioned that UW and MTB constantly contradict each other. It became pretty frustrating.

Regarding CCS: do the UW cases, and read the explanations. The cases on the real test didn't seem quite so invovled as the UW explanations make them out to be. 8/9 of my cases resolved early and CCS ended up taking only about 2/3 of the total time. I think everyone has a similar experience. Just act like you're in the ED/clinic and you'll be fine. Do what you do best and pretend it's just another day at work. Learning to manage the "clock" and the timing of orders is another beast altogether - the only way to similate that is by doing the UW cases. But after 6 or so, you should catch on. I definitely spent less time obsessing about CCS, and the vast majority of time focused on MCQs. I actually thought the CCS was kinda fun. :)

I haven't gotten my scores yet, so we'll see if my opinion is even worth anything. I rarely check SDN anymore, but I'll try to remember to post again when my scores return.

Best of luck to all of you!- LW

2 Questions:

1. How many questions are available in World for Step 3?

2. Do you think these questions would benefit a 3rd year medical student looking to do more questions? I feel like the step 2 questions would have helped a ton for step 1.

Thanks.

All done. Studied 3 weeks, about 3 hours a day on weekdays, and 6 hours a day on weekends. Usmleworld average of 57% untimed tutor.

194/79

No more USMLE! :D

Edit: Took the test 1/23-1/24 and got the score back today.

Last edited:
I found reading this thread helpful, so here's my experience. Took my exam Jan 25-26, studied using USMLEworld, about 1000 questions worth. All exams were random, untimed, and I read through the explanations after the questions.
Overall correct: 64%
Percentile: 60th
Score came back today

Step I: 245
Step II: 243
Step III: 233
I'M OFFICIALLY STEP FREE!! Cheezy, I know, had to be done

Did about 80-90% of USMLEWorld QBank
Did about half of the 50+ CCS USMLEWorld cases
Averaged 55% on the QBank in timed mode, 48 question blocks

USMLE Step 3 score: 202/83

anybody used white coat pocket guide for usmle step3 and world? doing world now but not doing the biostats because given the amount of time etc to actually read the question and whatever i figure a guess at it is as good.

Last edited:
An update:

Got my results - scored about 20 points lower than Step 1/2, but I couldn't care less - I passed with room to spare. I had already cut a week out of my precious vacation time to study for/take this thing and I wasn't about to kill myself over it.

If I could have done anything differently, I probably would have started doing practice questions sooner instead of reading MTB - I only completed about 2/3 of the UW qbank and did not have time to go back over questions that I had missed. That said, I always did questions in tutor mode and fully read the explanations (regardless of whether I had gotten the question correct or not), which really solidified the material that I did go over. That was my personal strategy for all of the Steps, and it suited me well, so YMMV.

Also, my worst subject by far was the CCS cases - I'm not sure why, I actually thought I did pretty well on them. However in retrospect I only spent a few hours preparing for them and I probably spent TOO much time on them and ordered TOO much stuff. Definitely would have done more cases if I had had the time.

Of note, I crossed the "borderline performance" line in the Inpatient category, but starred the Office/Health Center and ED category. It's definitely a reflection of my focus for the past 6 months. Curious as to other peoples' experiences in this regard...

Hope this helps someone!

Here is my experience:

I'm an IMG, before residency, Had about 5 weeks combined with moving to a new place... so I wasn't as through as for the other steps...
Finished UW with 62% in randomized, mixed, went through the UW ccs cases twice.
Read selected chapters from MTB, and that's it really.

Final grade: 90/215, NO MORE USMLE!!!!

Has anyone who took exam after mid Feb gotten their scores back?

Nope...

"Delay in Step 3 Score Reporting
Most score reporting of Step 3 results occurs within four weeks of testing. However, because of routine modifications to the test item pool, as well as an update to PRIMUM software announced on December 16, 2010, there will be a delay in reporting for most examinees testing beginning in mid-February 2011.
Posted January 11, 2011 [-] Click HERE to close announcement

The target date for reporting scores for Step 3 examinees testing from mid- February through early April is Wednesday, April 27, 2011. It is possible that scores will be available earlier than this date; please check this website for updates.

Please note: If you plan to take the Step 3 examination in mid-February 2011 or later, you should familiarize yourself with both the current test delivery software for the Primum CCS component of the exam and the new version."

http://www.usmle.org/general_information/Announcements.aspx?ContentId=59

:confused:

Took the exam yesterday and today. I studied for about 3 weeks mainly in the evenings. I'm a PGY-1 in internal medicine with good scores on prior steps and shelves. I did 100 % of the UW questions and about 10 of the CCS cases. I did most of UW in tutor mode with timed blocks mixed in. I had 67% overall correct. I felt like the actual exam was comparible to UW if not easier. There were at least 4 questions that were identical to UW. Overall I felt like most of the stuff was bread and butter with very little in the way of esoteric stuff. As far as the CCS cases, the cases themselves were pretty basic for the most part, they practically give you the diagnosis, and the managment for most of these cases is pretty straightforward. Another poster mentioned working with some "serious differentials" but that was not my experience at all. Many of my cointerns feel similarly. My main recommendation is to familiarize yourself with the CCS format as much as possible and do as many cases as possible to get a feel for what things they like you to order and the timing of those orders, I don't think it's as crazy as other people have made it seem, if you're in EM or internal medicine you should have no problem, although, I can see it being tough for people in certain specialties...ortho...cough...ortho...cough

I only did Kaplan Q-bank and USMLE World CCS. Did not do USMLE World Q-bank or any other prep.

Kaplan: ~60%, ~95% finished
USMLE world CCS: read all of the written cases, did ~30 interactive cases, started 1 week b4 the exam
STEP3: 214/90, was borderline in almost every subject except CCS which was off the charts.

This experience was worrisome because I came out of the test feeling I did well. I felt almost as good as I did coming out of STEP1-2 where I scored >30 points better. I haven't done patient care in ~3 years, so I don't know if that had something to do with it. But I have to take my specialty boards next year and this makes me think that even if I come out of that test confident, I could have seriously misjudged my performance.

58-61% on questions in UW, skimmed FirstAid. 252 on actual exam. I felt unprepared before the test and horrible after taking the test, but thank goodness it's over! Best of luck to everyone!!