Step 3 - when/prep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E'01

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When did most of you guys take step 3 and what books did you find useful? USMLE First Aid? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I waited until late in my CA-2 year.

The test was easier after some anesthesia experience behind me. Or, at least the experience made up for forgetting the stuff from internship.

I highly recommend the clinical case simulation section of USMLE World. They were spot-on. I also re-read my old copy of Boards and Wards from medical school. That's about it.

No worries.

Members don't see this ad :)
E'01 said:
When did most of you guys take step 3 and what books did you find useful? USMLE First Aid? Thanks

NMS step III

Crush step II (same as step III, don't waste the cash)

Strong Medicine (best single resource for step III)

High Yeild OBGYN

March of PGY-1 (Stanford required us to have our CA license by September of CA-1)

Crush Step III (didn't use Step II, so no reference)
Kaplan QBank (good if you like questions)

Thanks so much for all your input. I really appreciated it! :)

LOL... you gotta love how we'll never finish taking tests in our lives :eek:

E'01 said:

Took it four weeks ago, March 31/April 1 of intern year. Just used Crush, and Boards and Wards (left over from step 2) To just pass, doesn't take too much.

I've researched a lot of books and asked many, many friends and other residents who have taken step III. From my buddies and some residents that have scored awesome on the exam, they used B&W, NMS, USMLE world, crush, and kaplan qbook. From the ones who just wanted to pass and did just that, they studied from 1st aid and did the kaplan qbook. From my experience and research, I am going to stick with Strong medicine and the kaplan books for step 2 and do a ****load of questions, which is for me, the single best thing to do. I'll do the NMS questions, kaplan qbook and usmleworld questions. Good luck!

Also, what is the general consensus about step 3 score and pain or peds fellowship? I mean if I happen to barely pass the test does that pretty much shut me out of pain/peds or any fellowship right out of residency? Thanks!

I did my Step 3 a couple of months ago. I used B&W and Crush Step 3. I also went through some of the USMLEWorld mcq's and ccs cases. I was able to pass comfortably using the above materials.
I had a copy of Strong Medicine and would have liked to have read it but ran out of time. I think practicing the CCS software is really important cos it takes some time to get used to it.

Hypnomania said:
I did my Step 3 a couple of months ago. I used B&W and Crush Step 3. I also went through some of the USMLEWorld mcq's and ccs cases. I was able to pass comfortably using the above materials.
I had a copy of Strong Medicine and would have liked to have read it but ran out of time. I think practicing the CCS software is really important cos it takes some time to get used to it.

did step 3 in early feb..used only Strong Medicine and Usmleworld questions and cases...and got 99.

so it seems like a lot of people take it in the spring of intern year. I mean, when do you have time to study?! I was thinking that I should start studying now before internship starts (?)

Also, did any of you buy the online Q-bank from kaplan? I used it for step I and II and found it helpful.

I'm also a NY stater - apparently one has to have a licence first before registering for step 3. I've heard people register in other states like CT to bypass this, but I don't understand how you can practice during residency in New York state with a CT license.

AND - when do residency programs typically addres all the above?! :scared:

driverabu said:
Also, what is the general consensus about step 3 score and pain or peds fellowship? I mean if I happen to barely pass the test does that pretty much shut me out of pain/peds or any fellowship right out of residency? Thanks!

Good question - I'd like to know the answer also.