STEP One

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lost_in_da_Sauce

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am currently an a first year on my last week of M1. We have summer break coming up and I wanted to know what my gameplan should be now for studying for STEP 1. My goal is to use the Anking decks to learn all the material I need but am unsure of what decks to use to make sure I covered all the material. Does anyone have a detailed guide of how I should approach studying for STEP.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Pathoma, Sketchy Micro, and Sketchy Pharm are must-haves. If you hate sketchy, you should still do those anki cards.

Doing the entire AnKing Deck with BnB probably isn't necessary, but it will only help you.

Everyone at my school who did Anki and UFAPS passed and took a 6 week vacation. Everyone who didn't stressed to the max about it. Just do UFAPS man. It's crazy how US med students have forgotten how to study for step since it went P/F

Reactions: 3 users
Studying for step 1 as though it were still scored (UFAPS B&B) will not only make dedicated a breeze but will give you a solid foundation for shelf exams and step 2.

I think Pathoma, Sketchy Micro, and Sketchy Pharm are must-haves. If you hate sketchy, you should still do those anki cards.

Doing the entire AnKing Deck with BnB probably isn't necessary, but it will only help you.

Everyone at my school who did Anki and UFAPS passed and took a 6 week vacation. Everyone who didn't stressed to the max about it. Just do UFAPS man. It's crazy how US med students have forgotten how to study for step since it went P/F
Im a noob when it comes to this. Would you recommend doing this from day 1 of M1? If yes, do you think this would also work for a school with Step 1/2 after clinical rotations? I'm not sure whether I would have enough time to review all the cards for step 1 and what not while keeping up with studying for the shelf exams.

Im a noob when it comes to this. Would you recommend doing this from day 1 of M1? If yes, do you think this would also work for a school with Step 1/2 after clinical rotations? I'm not sure whether I would have enough time to review all the cards for step 1 and what not while keeping up with studying for the shelf exams.

This is tough. There's probably an SDN thread around here somewhere on this though. Check that out. Also, ask the upperclassmen from your school, some of them will have cracked the code.

The thing is, you don't have to get through all the AnKing cards. Pathoma and sketchy amount to 14,000. That's a lot of cards, but it's doable if you start early and keep them up over like 2 or 3 years. Eventually they get pushed out to 6 months or a year. The entire deck is over 30,000.

Maybe you can do the step 1 cards for preclinical, suspend them, and then do step 2 cards during M3 and hope you don't forget what you studied those first years. You'll still be better off than people who never did anking.

I have a classmate who still keeps up with the step 1 cards as an M3, but he's a freaky genius who got the cards done early and does his reviews with religious devotion. He runs circles around the rest of us with his knowledge base though.......

Reactions: 1 user
Bootcamp, bootcamp, bootcamp. I would honestly take the summer to enjoy the time off but I totally get not taking the summer and trying to get a leg up. Bootcamp is cheap and its super high yield for Step 1 (This was my main resource for step prep) It will also help you with M2 year, at least it did for me as our school's M2 year is pathology, pharm, and application to medical situations for each organ system. It tracks well and their qbank is representative for step in length and difficulty.

Others:
-Sketchy micro and pharm (I'd watch bootcamp micro principles with Dr. R first as it made all of the micro click for me) but sketchy by itself is pretty invaluable.
-Pathoma (chapters 1-3 were highest yield because they are difficult concepts to get down) He does a great job of explaining it. and his coag cascade is gold. Takes literally 5 minutes to explain what some struggle to do in an hours time.
-Save Uworld for your dedicated (although I ditched uworld and went full bootcamp closer to exam)

I'm not sponsored or have any financial ties, I just recently took and passed step after a nightmare dedicated and bootcamp is the main reason I passed.

-In reality any third party step prep resource would be enough to get you primed and ready (Bootcamp, B&B, Amboss) otherwise they wouldn't exist. The biggest thing is making sure you understand the concepts and then practice questions to cement them.

I don't use anki and I know others swear by it and it works for them but it never did for me so if it does for you, go for it, otherwise I'm living proof that you don't need anki to pass step!

sorry for the novel. Just want to help!