Still haven't heard back from the majority of schools I applied to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subparman

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to about 15 schools this cycle, and have yet to hear anything from 2/3 of them. Zero. Zilch. Nada. At this point, even just knowing that I've been rejected would be better than waiting around for the news.
Anyone else in a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Can always ask for a status update, but at this point those particular die have likely been cast. Sorry to hear about this.

I got silent rejected from NJMS and found out about it from my advisor. It stinks.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately at this point, not hearing about an interview most likely means you got an R :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I assume that I have been rejected from the schools I have not heard from at this point.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Silent rejections hurt, tbh. I've been ghosted by 3 of my own state schools.
Hurts less with an acceptance, but it's a brutal reminder that this app cycle can also be a game of luck and timing.

Can always ask for a status update, but at this point those particular die have likely been cast. Sorry to hear about this.

I got silent rejected from NJMS and found out about it from my advisor. It stinks.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Silent rejections hurt, tbh. I've been ghosted by 3 of my own state schools.
Hurts less with an acceptance, but it's a brutal reminder that this app cycle can also be a game of luck and timing.
what is even the point of silent R's? If they know they're gonna reject why not just let us know? Is it simply so they can flex on us lowly applicants by keeping us in suspense?! @Goro

what is even the point of silent R's? If they know they're gonna reject why not just let us know? Is it simply so they can flex on us lowly applicants by keeping us in suspense?! @Goro
This assumes they care at all, which they don't.

Some schools actually do care, and they go out of their way to be communicative and transparent. The rest, not so much.

They are swamped and are focused on their needs, not ours. If they are not interested in having us fill their need by possibly occupying a seat in their class, those that are ghosting us just don't care. The working assumption is, just like someone we might be interested in who ignores us, that we know how to take a hint, and, if we don't, that's our problem.

The point of the silent R is to keep us in reserve until the cycle is over, just in case disaster strikes and they need to call in people for late IIs. Either that, or some random admin is too busy to push a button and fire off a mass e-mail. Costs them nothing either way. Just another charm of the sellers' market.

I don't know why they do this. It's possible that you're still in the running for the latest interviews, but if it makes you feel any better, I have yet to hear from CSU-Long Beach when I interviewed for a faculty position with them back in 1999!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I don't know why they do this. It's possible that you're still in the running for the latest interviews, but if it makes you feel any better, I have yet to hear from CSU-Long Beach when I interviewed for a faculty position with them back in 1999!
Have you checked your spam folder for your start date and salary info? :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I applied to about 15 schools this cycle, and have yet to hear anything from 2/3 of them. Zero. Zilch. Nada. At this point, even just knowing that I've been rejected would be better than waiting around for the news.
Anyone else in a similar situation?
I’m not saying it’s right but I don’t think AMCAS requires schools to ever send Reject letters.

Silent rejections are more common than explicit rejections until like May/June for a lot of schools. Kinda scummy but that is true for much of the medical school admissions process.

Silent rejections are more common than explicit rejections until like May/June for a lot of schools. Kinda scummy but that is true for much of the medical school admissions process.
about that altruism and integrity...