Stuck in Limbo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulscientist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was wondering when people generally hear back about interviews for more competitive schools. I would say I'm having a decent cycle so far (interviewed at UNC [I'm also a student at UNC and NC resident], Duke, and Tufts (where I have been accepted), though the fact remains is that I'm waiting on word from 11 more schools (I was rejected from UChicago and Cornell). I would say I am a competitive applicant with perhaps only my GPA and MCAT score limiting me for these top tier places (3.81C, 3.74S though the lower science due to Honors/Upper level sciences where I got Bs; 34 MCAT). I have covered my bases with the ECs, LoRs, research, shadowing, and doing stuff that I really enjoy, think free time stuff. And when I say this, I don't mean checklist, I enjoy and can passionately talk about everything I'm involved in. Can you see me receiving a few more interviews? I would say I'm simply nervous that I have not heard anything from most of these places since I've submitted secondaries back in July. Surely several others are experiencing the same thing.

Cheers,
Hopefulscientist (seeking MD degree, not MD PhD)

Members don't see this ad.

I got interviews at good schools starting 2 days after I submitted all the way through February. The fact that you've interviewed at UNC and Duke means that something in your app is catching people's attention. As long as interview slots aren't filled up, you have a chance. Whether you will or not is anyone's guess.

Also 3.8/34 is a little low for top schools where the medians are generally 3.85+/36-37.

When I applied, I was pretty much only top heavy (not sure what I was thinking...thankfully I got in), but I heard back from all my schools by November. I was in the top tier school medians wedgedawg mentioned...but it was in 2006 (wow time flies).

Anyway, you already have an acceptance to a good school. I would just ride that out and not worry too much. You're in a much better situation than many.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When I applied, I was pretty much only top heavy (not sure what I was thinking...thankfully I got in), but I heard back from all my schools by November. I was in the top tier school medians wedgedawg mentioned...but it was in 2006 (wow time flies).

Anyway, you already have an acceptance to a good school. I would just ride that out and not worry too much. You're in a much better situation than many.
So when you say you heard back from all your schools by November, do you mean you got either interviews or rejections by November?

I'm sure the timeline from 2006 has no predictive value for the 2015 cycle, though. That was a long time ago. Everybody seems to be saying that things are going exceptionally slow this year.

If there was a way to predict this someone would be making A LOT of money.

Other than the Las Vegas -Style Betting Book on medical school acceptance, really not a lot of ways to make money on this.
I should clarify. If someone had an algorithm to predict this I guarantee thousands of neurotic pre-meds would pay up to use it.

Hey all,

I was wondering when people generally hear back about interviews for more competitive schools. I would say I'm having a decent cycle so far (interviewed at UNC [I'm also a student at UNC and NC resident], Duke, and Tufts (where I have been accepted), though the fact remains is that I'm waiting on word from 11 more schools (I was rejected from UChicago and Cornell). I would say I am a competitive applicant with perhaps only my GPA and MCAT score limiting me for these top tier places (3.81C, 3.74S though the lower science due to Honors/Upper level sciences where I got Bs; 34 MCAT). I have covered my bases with the ECs, LoRs, research, shadowing, and doing stuff that I really enjoy, think free time stuff. And when I say this, I don't mean checklist, I enjoy and can passionately talk about everything I'm involved in. Can you see me receiving a few more interviews? I would say I'm simply nervous that I have not heard anything from most of these places since I've submitted secondaries back in July. Surely several others are experiencing the same thing.

Cheers,
Hopefulscientist (seeking MD degree, not MD PhD)

Alright first off you already have an acceptance. So let's tone down the panic and anxiety just a liiiittttttttttlllllllle bit.

To answer your question in the bold it's all about where all did you apply. Like the 'Dawg said 3.8/34 isn't what's considered top notch for the big name schools like Chicago and Cornell, but they have gotten people into top 20 schools in the past. Let's see your list you applied to

Alright first off you already have an acceptance. So let's tone down the panic and anxiety just a liiiittttttttttlllllllle bit.

To answer your question in the bold it's all about where all did you apply. Like the 'Dawg said 3.8/34 isn't what's considered top notch for the big name schools like Chicago and Cornell, but they have gotten people into top 20 schools in the past. Let's see your list you applied to

Sure:
  1. Boston University
  2. Columbia
  3. Duke
  4. Harvard
  5. Johns Hopkins
  6. Mount Sinai
  7. Northwestern
  8. NYU
  9. Tufts
  10. UMichigan
  11. UNC
  12. UPenn
  13. Vanderbilt
  14. Yale
I would say that I may have slightly lower GPA/MCAT, but I believe I make up for it with other stuff. I'm working in the lab of someone very well known and acting fairly independently (putting work into a first author paper, though I can only really share this in interview), president of two clubs (one health related), do parkour in my spare time, tutored, now a TA for upper level premed course, have all the volunteer/shadowing stuff and it's stuff I can talk about and actually enjoy etc, good LoRs (I know all the profs personally and have known them for 2+ semesters each before asking for letter). Lastly, my story is atypical, I had to overcome genuine diversity to get to where I am today. And thanks for the reminder to relax, this is a time to practice my patience, not my ability to freak out

Sure:
  1. Boston University
  2. Columbia
  3. Duke
  4. Harvard
  5. Johns Hopkins
  6. Mount Sinai
  7. Northwestern
  8. NYU
  9. Tufts
  10. UMichigan
  11. UNC
  12. UPenn
  13. Vanderbilt
  14. Yale
I would say that I may have slightly lower GPA/MCAT, but I believe I make up for it with other stuff. I'm working in the lab of someone very well known and acting fairly independently (putting work into a first author paper, though I can only really share this in interview), president of two clubs (one health related), do parkour in my spare time, tutored, now a TA for upper level premed course, have all the volunteer/shadowing stuff and it's stuff I can talk about etc, good LoRs (I know all the profs personally and have known them for 2+ semesters each before asking for letter). Lastly, my story is atypical, I had to overcome genuine diversity to get to where I am today. And thanks for the reminder to relax, this is a time to practice my patience, not my ability to freak out

Well the good news is you already have an acceptance so it doesn't really matter how realistic or unrealistic this list is. A 34 is low for all these top 20 schools. Not lethally low, people get into top 20 schools with 34's but you are only above the 10th percentile MCAT of these schools by 1-2 points. Research is all well and good but there will be plenty of people with research similar to yours who have a couple extra points on their MCAT. But like I said none of this matters, just look at these schools as a bonus. If you get into one fantastic. If you don't, you already have a very solid option and are waiting to hear back after II's from two great programs.