"Survival guides"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lady in red

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Can anyone recommend good books on "surviving medical school" topic? I read the Iserson's residency guide, but it's too early for that book for a first year. I need something more related to immediate day-to-day survival, study advice, ward behavior, professional etiquette, so on. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I wasnt impressed by Princeton Reviews " Medical School Companion", and like Iserson's book better.

There is a book by that very title written by Dr. Steven Polk. It's out of print and I haven't been able to get my hands on it to judge it's content but most people I've talked to recommend it. There is also another book by that title written by Dr. Jennifer Danek. It's worth taking a look at, but I really appreciate the depth of info Iserson gets into more in his book (even at this stage). For reference, there is another one written by Thornborough called "The Successful Medical Student". You might want to flip through it for some ideas although it may be a bit out-dated by now.

Members don't see this ad :)
"The Successful Medical Student", in my opinion, is a good book. I 'll be entering med school this year (haven't used suggested methods yet), but I definitely intend to use most of his suggestions. It gives you an outline on how to organize your time and covers how to take notes as well as what to study. It does emphasize the overkill however (4-6hrs study/day, 6-8hrs on weekends w/reviews). This book is out of print, but I found it used on amazon.com.

I read Danek's book as well and ejnoyed it. Honestly, though, I did not change my study habits all that much when I got to med school - you just have to learn what's important to study for exams and the clinical years (which your big sib at UCSF should help you with!). The rest pretty much is common sense (if you've worked in a business environment before, which I think you have, you should be fine with the etiquette issues) and/or you'll learn from classmates, professors and students further along in their training. See you in about a month - enjoy the rest of your summer!!

Becky

I read "The Med School Survival Guide" by Dr. Jennifer Danek (ISBN 0-609-80595-9). It basically has 101 Tips on how to get through med school without loosing yourself or your mind. It has a couple of funny anecdotes. It's very easy to read, Finished it in about an hour, pacing myself, not racing through it. I'll keep it in my desk for reference whenever I feel like pulling my hair.