Switch from Psych to Rads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

night sky venus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a psych intern (at a competitive program) looking to switch into Radiology. I'm not enjoying my work currently and think I would be more suited for Radiology - I really miss relying on my knowledge of medicine and do enjoy the visual and technological aspects of radiology.
I never did a radiology rotation in medical school. What do I have to do to get accepted to radiology now? My understanding is that I would have to quit my current residency in order to do a radiology rotation and/or research in the field this year and apply for prelim internal medicine now. Next year (2006) I would apply for radiology in order to begin residency in 2008? Is there a better or shorter way to do this? Help!
Would I have a chance? I am an FMG, step 1 244, step 2 241, great LOR's...

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

www.auntminnie.com

click on "discussions" and medical students or residents.

much more active discussion there.

good luck

night sky venus said:
I am a psych intern (at a competitive program) looking to switch into Radiology. I'm not enjoying my work currently and think I would be more suited for Radiology - I really miss relying on my knowledge of medicine and do enjoy the visual and technological aspects of radiology.
I never did a radiology rotation in medical school. What do I have to do to get accepted to radiology now? My understanding is that I would have to quit my current residency in order to do a radiology rotation and/or research in the field this year and apply for prelim internal medicine now. Next year (2006) I would apply for radiology in order to begin residency in 2008? Is there a better or shorter way to do this? Help!
Would I have a chance? I am an FMG, step 1 244, step 2 241, great LOR's...

Thank you

To be honest, you have a huge uphill battle, but it can be done. The main thing people will question is your motivation. Step 1 is good but not spectacular. The LORs lose some luster because you used them for a psych residency that you are quitting. You have to definitely get a Radiology LOR. In fact, I recommend 3 new LORs.

What they will wonder is if this person is driven. What if you quit radiology? You have already quit your #1 choice. Can you honestly say there is a 100% chance that you won't quit again? Let's face it, radiology was not your first choice Psychiatry was your 1st choice. They will remember that. Also the interviewers will know that psychiatry is one of the lowest paid specialties and radiology is one of the highest paid specialities. You will have to overcome this potential landmine during interviews.

Lastly, from my conversations with radiologists, radiology residents, and due diligence, radiology is the toughest mental and academic specialty. You have to read 5-6 hours every night to keep up with the information. If you don't like reading, you should look for something else. NO MEDICAL SPECIALTY HAS MORE READING THAN RADIOLOGY. Thus, self motivation is huge. You will have 4 years (after Pgy 1 year) of rigorous reading ahead of you. Also, there is a Nuclear/Radiology Physics board exam that you have to pass. This exam is not easy, thus you have to be highly motivated to do well. I know someone that was an AOA at his medical school and flunked this exam (he is currently being tutored by a Physics Graduate Student). Radiology Nuclear Physics is unlike undergraduate Physics. It is very difficult unless you have a PhD in Physics like some Rads interns do.

Good luck. My advice is to be honest with yourself, and be prepared to answer the questions that I brought up in this thread, and come up with intelligent well thought out answers.

Members don't see this ad :)
5-6 hours a night? Thats a stretch :) . But it is definitely a lot of reading and self-teaching.