The Official UC Irvine Countdown Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi none,

Thank you so much for your info.

Members don't see this ad.

It's all loans??? Dayam. How come I have not received any financial aid stuff yet? I've been accepted for more than a month.

Members don't see this ad :)
what would be my ID number and pin? thank you.

You can get your student ID number by calling the admissions or financial aid office. The aid is slow - I got mine this month and I had everything turned in by late April. At first I know your pin is your birthday (like 1228 for Dec 28). You can't check how much money you get online, but you can see if all your stuff has been turned in.

To answer somebody else's question: UCI gives $1500 in grant money. $8500 is subsidized and the rest is unsubsidized depending on where you are living ($25K on campus, $27K off)

Hi Kazzar,

Thank you for your clarification in regard to UCI grant money.

$1500 in grants and 25k in unsubsidized loans???? what da heck am i gonna do with this $1500 grant considering i will have 25k of unsubsidized loans: to pay for the interest of the loan?

Hey at least we get $1500. UCI is so cheap already. The tuition is not low cause the education isn't as good as a private school. It's low because CA foots the bill for most of it. So in effect, we are getting $21,500 in grants because we are paying $20,000 less than private school tuitions.

What's up guys.. haven't posted in a while...

So I just got a call from UCI today saying that they would accept me there if I still want to go, and I have to let them know by Monday. Up until today I was planning to just go to USC. I had already settled my financial aid and enrolled for classes and signed up for a big sib and the white coat ceremony and everything. And I am perfectly happy going to USC, but now I need to make sure that I don't pass on UCI if it would be better for me.

So the way I see it, UCI would save me a crapload of cash, and I think I would prefer to live in Orange County than East LA. But I still think I'll learn more at the County Hospital at USC and dont know if I want to give that up. When I interviewed at UCI, my schedule got screwed up so I never got to learn anything about the school (or really see it). So I have little to base an opinion on.

Do you guys know if there is still much available housing around UCI, or parking, or much financial aid money to give out? And what is the class schedule like at UCI? What day do you guys start, and how busy is the weekly schedule?

I need to figure this out pretty quick so anything you guys liked about either school would be appreciated.

Housing is one of the biggest problems at UCI. There is immediately off-campus housing, it's just very expensive. I think you'll still save over USC. And did you see the UCIMC? It's not LA County, but it is a pretty urban hospital. It's not on the campus... It was very hard for us to get an idea of the workload, but clearly none of the students seemed stressed. Orientation is August 28th.

Originally posted by El Jefe
What's up guys.. haven't posted in a while...

So I just got a call from UCI today saying that they would accept me there if I still want to go, and I have to let them know by Monday. Up until today I was planning to just go to USC. I had already settled my financial aid and enrolled for classes and signed up for a big sib and the white coat ceremony and everything. And I am perfectly happy going to USC, but now I need to make sure that I don't pass on UCI if it would be better for me.

So the way I see it, UCI would save me a crapload of cash, and I think I would prefer to live in Orange County than East LA. But I still think I'll learn more at the County Hospital at USC and dont know if I want to give that up. When I interviewed at UCI, my schedule got screwed up so I never got to learn anything about the school (or really see it). So I have little to base an opinion on.

Do you guys know if there is still much available housing around UCI, or parking, or much financial aid money to give out? And what is the class schedule like at UCI? What day do you guys start, and how busy is the weekly schedule?

I need to figure this out pretty quick so anything you guys liked about either school would be appreciated.

Congrats Jeff!

here I made the list of the reasons you should go to Irvine :)

1. unbelievablely cheap, the tuition for the whole year is around 11K or something close to it
2. Undergrad campus nearby
3. Orange county to me is a MUCH better place than USC's environment
4. UCI is more about co-operation, I have 6 friends in the second year, who tell me it is easier and more fun than UCLA!!!
5. Classes are pass/no pass/honors, but most pple aim for pass hehe :oops:)
6. Biggest reason of all, I will be ur classmate :)

I heard they have a six floor library, and a 24 hour recreation center or something...with all kinds of facilities..

I didnt get to see the facilities either :( that is why this week, I am going to meet up with Kazzar, have lunch and see the campus (he promised me a tour), u wanna join us?

so what u get better clinical experience? u can always get that in residency!

I interviewed at USC, and to be honest...I didn't like the place at all...half teh people in my interview group were so SNOTTY....

USC truly stands for University of Spoiled Children....and it didn't have a campus :(

besides, a bruin will and SHOULD NEVER go to a trojan school...

and remember the wise adage

A Bruin is forever, but a Trojan* can only be used once. :D

*Famous brand of condoms ;)

hehe :p

I hope I have given you a fair balance perspective on the issue....

and

PS Dean Peterson is so sweeeeeeeet...unbelieveably...I got the call during vacation time...it was the best news ever....

I know, it was a drag for me to, doing all the paperwork again...but heck....u save so much money hehe

can someone please tell me the book auther and title we were supposed to read this summer? thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is called The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down

by Anne Fadiman

any good news from UCLA :)

What's Uci's grading system and what courses are in its ciriculum?

The grading is P/F/H. I don't know what you mean by curriculum. It's accredited. :)

ok I was ssupposed to take care of this 3 weeks ago, but because I was on vacation I couldn't...

which places do you guys recommend leasing/renting that is close to UCI, and how much does it cost...

and by the way, can we make a list of all the people going to UCI? :)

maybe we can have a UCI get together....problem is where u guys wanna meet...it isn't like DC :)

and I found out our class size is only 92 students!!! wow rather small...maybe we can invite the UCLA, USC, and UCI students together in one place....

The housing immediately next to the campus starts at $1,000 for the "Jr. one bedroom." This is in the area known as University Town Center.

Originally posted by none
The housing immediately next to the campus starts at $1,000 for the "Jr. one bedroom." This is in the area known as University Town Center.

dude ur a lifesaver, thanks so much none :)

do you happen to have their phone number? is that were your staying? how is the place?

Can I rent it for a couple of months like 4 months only, or must I sign a lease for a whole year?

Thanks again! :clap:

have you started reading the book?

I have quite a few friends who live in the "University Town Center." They actually live in Stanford Court (Eastside of the center). You are required to hold a lease. It's not very cool of them - I believe most right off-campus housing (<1 mile) makes you get leases. If you want month-to-month, you'll have to live in Costa Mesa, which is about 5 miles away. Anyway, you can get 9 mo or 12 mo leases. I am not sure about getting shorter ones. You usually need to find somebody who is sub-leasing. 1-bedrooms go for about $1200, 2 bedrooms around $1500-$1700. I had a friend who's idiot roomate had her parents cosign (use your student loan paperwork for income) and they got a higher rate (+$1800 for a 2-bedroom).

I am sure during the year, they'll be many people who will want to get together and have parties. If anybody on here wants a tour (i.e. El Jefe) and/or a pint (i.e. WatchaMaCallit), I'm more than happy to show you around. Check out my profile for how to contact me.

UCI isn't like DC, but there are some great bar areas in Newport that aren't too far away (<10 min). On or near campus the best hangouts are the UCI Anteater Pub (open during the school-year) and Steelhead Brewery. If anybody wanted to meet up and check out UCI, I would recommend Steelhead. You can literally down a few then walk across the campus bridge and checkout the main campus.

I hope this helps.

kazzar ur DA man! ur absolutely awesome...thanks for everything bro!

lisen, lets meet this wednesday for lunch! sorry about last week, this time I will call u or should remember to call you this tuesday, so we can meet up for lunch and if u could show me around campus that would be awesome!

I never even got a chance to see the campus during my interview!

by the way, can u give me the driving instructions to palo verde so I can get the visitor permit :)

if u could pm it to me that would be awesome...if not then I will get it from u over the phone...

thanks again for everything...

watcha

Yeah, I finished the book actually. It's amazingly good and they were right about not being able to put it down, but that may all be because I'm from the Central Valley and related at least on that level.

Here are the phone numbers for the University Town Center complexes:
http://www.housing.uci.edu/och/lauci.htm

hey guys
i was wondering, if you wish to commute, is it hard to get a parking permit as a medical student? do you know how much that costs?

yaoming...I wish I could help...but I don't know anything about parkign permits..

I was also wondering...what is everybody here doing for housing?

has everyone here found a roomate? :)

it looks like i have to find a roomate...hmmm

who is your roommate?

Originally posted by yaoming
who is your roommate?

hmm, I think you misunderstood...I don't have a roomate....I'm going to look for one :)

I will call up housing tomorrow...never had the chance until now...just got back recently from vacation.....

do you have a place and a roomate?

Originally posted by WatchaMaCallit
yaoming...I wish I could help...but I don't know anything about parkign permits..

I was also wondering...what is everybody here doing for housing?

has everyone here found a roomate? :)

it looks like i have to find a roomate...hmmm

Call Gayle and ask her for a list of names of students in need of roommates...and be sure to put your name on the list too. I am sure she will be able to provide you with more detail...typically, you would need to take initiative of contacting them to see if they're still looking. Once you secure a roommate, both of you can search for an apartment. Finding an apartment is not too bad. There're tons of vacancies in apartments all over the Irvine area. I went down the list of available apartments based on their monthly rent cost, closeness to the campus, and the floorplan. ~95% of apartments in Irvine are owned by one company so they all have the similar rent policy and basic community features. Many APTs are having specials for move-in in August, so be sure to ask about them. The price changes every Sunday, so be sure to call and confirm the price before checking out. Check out www.rental-living.com and www.forrent.com.

Originally posted by Patiently Waiting

Call Gayle and ask her for a list of names of students in need of roommates...and be sure to put your name on the list too. I am sure she will be able to provide you with more detail...typically, you would need to take initiative of contacting them to see if they're still looking. Once you secure a roommate, both of you can search for an apartment. Finding an apartment is not too bad. There're tons of vacancies in apartments all over the Irvine area. I went down the list of available apartments based on their monthly rent cost, closeness to the campus, and the floorplan. ~95% of apartments in Irvine are owned by one company so they all have the similar rent policy and basic community features. Many APTs are having specials for move-in in August, so be sure to ask about them. The price changes every Sunday, so be sure to call and confirm the price before checking out. Check out www.rental-living.com and www.forrent.com.

my gosh! you people are so nice!!! it is going to be awesome being your classmates!!!! :clap:

thanks for everything...I will call Gayle asap...

Thanks none for the link.

i was wondering, how come the medical students section of the parking permit is under quarter system. isnt uci med semester?

hey watcha, if u want to room maybe we can hook up. pm me. however, i cannot look until aug 12, when my friend who's also goin to uci med (grew up in irvine) will be back from vacation. if u havent found anything or anyone by then, let me know.

hey waiting patiently, i was wondering if you mentioned before you were on the waitlist for ucla md/phd. are you in the md/phd program for uci as well?

UCI is definitely quarter system. It's a very modified quarter system, however.

what? really. how is it modified? if we start so early on a quarter system, when do we get christmas break and how long?

Hi all, I'll be your classmate next year. I just got back from vacation and so have been away from SDN. I went to undergrad at UCI, so I can answer a lot of questions that people have:

1) Housing - The apartments/condos across from school are expensive. The cheapest and best deal for apartments is Park West Apartments. It is located on Culver and Michelson Dr. It is about a 5 minute drive to school (2-3 miles or so). Other places med students live is in West Park. West Park is a community in Irvine with lots of apartments, etc. So when you look, take a look at apartments in West Park. They are modern and nice. Another apartment complex you might want to check out is Parkwood Apartments. It is located on Michelson Dr. and Jeffery Road. It too is pretty close to school. In genearl, the housing in and around UCI is AWESOME!! You have a lot of variety to choose from.

2) UCI is a quarter system, but it is modified. By that, I mean that the quarters aren't exacty 10 weeks long. The first quarter (I THINK) is 10 weeks, but the second quarter is 18 weeks (I THINK) and so on.

3) Parking permits are NO PROBLEM! Like someone else mentioned, finding the spot is hard. But, there is PLENTY of space on the medical school side of school. The problem with parking comes when you want to go to the undergrad libraries to study. But for us, we got plenty of parking.

If anyone has any other questions, feel free to email me or PM me. Email is better.

:)

Originally posted by yaoming
Thanks none for the link.

hey waiting patiently, i was wondering if you mentioned before you were on the waitlist for ucla md/phd. are you in the md/phd program for uci as well?

I was waitlisted for just MD at UCLA. I didn't really consider applying for MSTPs til towards the end of the application cycle. I filled out a UCLA secondary quite early in process, so I strictly went for MD only. And yes, I'm in the MSTP at UCI. What about you?

yaoming - bro I sent you a pm

altaskier - thanks so much for all the info, looking forward to meeting you this fall :)

Patiently Waiting - hehe it was funny, I got you and WaitingPatiently mixed up....

one is going to UCI, and the other to USC....every time I read those names I thought it was the same person, going to two different schools :rolleyes: :D

hehe enjoy the rest of the summer guys! how is the book reading coming along? :p

does anyone know where I can find the calendar for the school schedule? :)

I wanna know when our next vacation will be ;) :p

and did anyone receive a list of the books we should buy or what classes we are going to have for the first year....

keep in touch guys, and see you all in September! :clap:

That calendar has been difficult to come by... As far as books, do not buy any now. There will be a used book fair before courses begin.

The following are the courses you will be taking during Q1 as a student at the UC Irvine College of Medicine:

(1) Histology
(2) Patient, Doctor & Society
(3) Medical Biochemistry
(4) Molecular & Cell Biology
(5) Medical Genetics
(6) Physiology/Pathophysiology

The daily lecture hours are generaly from 8 am to 5 pm; however, there may be days when you have less hours. Also, in case you are wondering, Q1 begins on September 3, 2002 and ends on November 8, 2002. During the last week of Q1, the only exam scheduled is for Histology. Exams for other courses will take place at other times throughout Q1. PLEASE NOTE: A FINALIZED SCHEDULE WILL BE AVAILABLE AFTER AUGUST 19, 2002.

I hope this information helps. Later today, I will post a detailed schedule for the first year of medical school, which lists all scheduled holidays and relevant information about the three quarters during the first-year of medical school.

Thanks so much California your the best :D

by the way, how on earth did you get all that info?

enjoy the rest of your summer.....

I've only gotten the info I was sent when I got in (all the forms, immunization stuff, etc). Has anyone recieved anything else lately? Could the people that recieve stuff please post what they've recieved when they get it?

Much thanks

Originally posted by altaskier
I've only gotten the info I was sent when I got in (all the forms, immunization stuff, etc). Has anyone recieved anything else lately? Could the people that recieve stuff please post what they've recieved when they get it?

Much thanks

Ditto here... nothing else from the school after that introductory package. According to the lady in the office, we should be receiving more detail info sometime next week. It will contain our class schedule, orientation, etc.

California: I'm also curious to know how you've got the upcoming fall schedule...all I see on the web is the last year's.

Watcha: haha, I hear your confusion. When I saw "waitingimpatiently"'s posts way back, I was like "d'oh, people would get me mixed up with this guy".

Those classes sound accurate, at least in terms of what they did last year.

I was able to find this information by contacting the Office of Admissions and Outreach and asking Gayle Pierce to direct me to someone who can answer all of my questions regarding medical school at the UC Irvine College of Medicine. I was given a specific individual's e-mail address and she has been very good about answering my questions in a prompt manner.

As far as scheduling for the first year is concerned, I went in-person to speak with an individual at the front desk. She directed me to Eileen Munoz who was kind enough to print out a schedule for me. Unfortunately, I've already misplaced it (I knew that was going to happen to me) so I'll have to do some digging around before I post the information here. Sorry for any inconvenience. Nevertheless, I think we should all be receiving information next week.

Here is information I remember. I've noted scheduling that I am absolutely sure of with an asterik (*).
Q1: Begins September 3, 2002 and Ends November 8, 2002*
(Veterans' Day Holiday*)
Q2: Begins November 12, 2002 and Ends Approx. March 21, 2002 (Thanksgiving Holiday (Two Days)*. Winter Break (Two Weeks)*, MLK Birthday Holiday*, Presidents' Day Holiday*, Spring Break (One Week)*)
Q3: Begins March 31, 2002 and Ends Approx. June 2, 2002

I'll be sure to post the schedule if I find it before next week. I'm very sorry. I know all of you are very curious to get a feel for what the first-year schedule is like.

hehe california dude your awesome!!!

Thanks sooooo mucchhh!!!

why on earth are you apologizing..

hey guys at least we know now, on when to plan for what, like our next vacation hehe ;) :p

altaskier...I sent you a pm! I think I know you from a party that we both attended!! I think that is you, but then again, there are so many people around that area with the same name!!!

man, i am very excited about medical school, but i am dreading the class time. i usually do better when i have more time to read and study alone than spending all my time in the classroom. anyone feel the same? what do you guys feel about this?

should we be moving this thread to the allopathic area yet? when are we ready to move over to the allopathic section?

From a paper I got at my UCSD interview, UCI has the least number of class hours of any med school in CA. I definitely wouldn't stress over the class time!

thank u none for all ur info. can you please post up these classtimes from the ucsd interview. i remember that paper too but i dont even know where i put it, so i cant look at it. thank u so much.

Does the school insurance cover optometry expenses?