The Republic of Texas XLII: You Don't Just Move Into Texas, It Moves Into You

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It’s hard to consider any school in Texas mid tier tbh 😭

Guys so many of my friends have NO interviews from TMDSAS. Please remember not many of us are fortunate enough to receive 1 interview, yet alone multiple!!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
does anyone have any idea what more mid-tier schools in tx would value in an applicant? i’ve personally had an early baylor interview but nothing after that and i have friends who have only had baylor and utsw but nothing else… that’s weird to me bc i was really targeting schools like utmb and A&M 🥲
I would say that the schools you are interested in are still really good. Just keep your spirits up and you will hear something!

Relevant responses to their secondary questions would be my opinion.
"I only had Baylor" :rolleyes::rolleyes:
ahah i mean like obviously baylor and utsw are amazing im just surprised i’m not appealing to schools with lower average stats (even though tx schools are top-tier for sure)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Me sitting here like “y’all getting IIs?” 😭 Congrats to everyone who has though so far!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Ironic that I brought this up earlier in this thread, but one of my interviewers brought up the fact that I’m interviewing with another Texas school nearby. That just felt kind of odd, not sure what’s the point/relevance in even showing interviewers that info?

Ironic that I brought this up earlier in this thread, but one of my interviewers brought up the fact that I’m interviewing with another Texas school nearby. That just felt kind of odd, not sure what’s the point/relevance in even showing interviewers that info?
I think it’s annoying when they do that, what did you say? Yeah, I am?

ahah i mean like obviously baylor and utsw are amazing im just surprised i’m not appealing to schools with lower average stats (even though tx schools are top-tier for sure)
A lot of it is honestly about fit and secondary responses. I had UTSW/Baylor last cycle along with UTRGV and TCOM; most of the "mid-range" school gave me no love. That said, every single TMDSAS school will prepare you well and get you where you want to be - a doctor. Embrace the opportunities you have and things have a strange way of working themselves out. You might find a school that didn't originally catch your eye ends up being the place you were meant to be 🥰

Has TCU alr started giving out As; just received their secondary-wondering if its just a free $100 donation this late in the game or if I should just shoot my shot after work today lol...

Has TCU alr started giving out As; just received their secondary-wondering if its just a free $100 donation this late in the game or if I should just shoot my shot after work today lol...
They have not. No school can until Oct. 15.
They have only sent out interview invitations 3 times, between late August and now.

Why not shoot your shot? My view is that $100 is cheaper than reapplying

Last edited:
Does anyone know which of the Texas schools tend to give the $1k scholarships to OOS students to bring them down to IS tuition? I seem to recall hearing that UTMB is one of the few Texas schools that does NOT do this.

I'm particularly interested if anyone knows about this for Baylor (I got an OOS II today which I am over the moon about!!!)

Does anyone know which of the Texas schools tend to give the $1k scholarships to OOS students to bring them down to IS tuition? I seem to recall hearing that UTMB is one of the few Texas schools that does NOT do this.

I'm particularly interested if anyone knows about this for Baylor (I got an OOS II today which I am over the moon about!!!)
I don’t think Baylor does routinely but they do give more scholarships than other schools.
Long gives the $1000 to all OOS which is “worth” more than $1000 because it brings your tuition down to IS level.
Also, compare Baylor OOS tuition to other schools you get into: it is probably less :)

Members don't see this ad :)

UTSW
McGovern
A&M
Long
Tyler was free this year and also next year for all students.
Not sure about some of the others like Tech, Dell, UTRGV etc.

Baylor and UTMB do not give it.
Baylor is considered private which sells a specific number of seats to state of Texas so the state pays them the difference. Since it is a private school, $1000 scholarship triggering instate tuition does not apply to them since it is a policy applicable only to state schools.
OTOH, many buy a condo or a piece of land to qualify for instate after year 1.

UTMB polling last year showed that there were some OOS students who were paying OOS tuition fees and they were averaging about 2 or 3 out of 6 or 7 students in M1. There was at least one student who was considering A&M over UTMB after being admitted to both since A&M offered the instate. This actually puts UTMB at a disadvantage when OOS students receive more than one admission in Texas since they are choosing other schools over UTMB.

OOS students have the advantage until last minute to figure out who is giving them money since they can hold all Texas admissions until they have to whittle down to 1 around May 1st.

Reactions: 1 users
UTSW
McGovern
A&M
Long
Tyler was free this year and also next year for all students.
Not sure about some of the others like Tech, Dell, UTRGV etc.

Baylor and UTMB do not give it.
Baylor is considered private which sells a specific number of seats to state of Texas so the state pays them the difference. Since it is a private school, $1000 scholarship triggering instate tuition does not apply to them since it is a policy applicable only to state schools.
OTOH, many buy a condo or a piece of land to qualify for instate after year 1.

UTMB polling last year showed that there were some OOS students who were paying OOS tuition fees and they were averaging about 2 or 3 out of 6 or 7 students in M1. There was at least one student who was considering A&M over UTMB after being admitted to both since A&M offered the instate. This actually puts UTMB at a disadvantage when OOS students receive more than one admission in Texas since they are choosing other schools over UTMB.

OOS students have the advantage until last minute to figure out who is giving them money since they can hold all Texas admissions until they have to whittle down to 1 around May 1st.
@texasvandy thanks for the list of schools and you have a better knowledge about the scholarship stuff than I do.
That line about buying a condo to establish residency doesn’t work if you do it AFTER starting med school though. Your IS or OOS status is adjudicated at the time you apply.
However, there are lots of OOS college students whose parents do this for them, they gain TX resident status while in college, and can then apply to TMDSAS schools as a TX resident.

@texasvandy thanks for the list of schools and you have a better knowledge about the scholarship stuff than I do.
That line about buying a condo to establish residency doesn’t work if you do it AFTER starting med school though. Your IS or OOS status is adjudicated at the time you apply.
However, there are lots of OOS college students whose parents do this for them, they gain TX resident status while in college, and can then apply to TMDSAS schools as a TX resident.
There is application time residency and there is fee for residency. Texas rules allow you to pay instate after owning property for an year at both undergrad and graduate level (at graduate level it must be in the student name). Some private colleges can decide not to honor the state rule (I heard this to be true at Ponce in St. Louis although Missouri allows people to pay instate after one year without even owning property) but I have known people in Houston who bought condos they didnt even live in to pay instate at Baylor starting their second year once they were admitted.

There is application time residency and there is fee for residency. Texas rules allow you to pay instate after owning property for an year at both undergrad and graduate level (at graduate level it must be in the student name). Some private colleges can decide not to honor the state rule (I heard this to be true at Ponce in St. Louis although Missouri allows people to pay instate after one year without even owning property) but I have known people in Houston who bought condos they didnt even live in to pay instate at Baylor starting their second year once they were admitted.
Hmm I did not know that. It seems to me, paying OOS tuition for 4 years is a lot more affordable than buying a condo, but if you did live in it and then re- sell it, it would be like having free housing for med school.

Hmm I did not know that. It seems to me, paying OOS tuition for 4 years is a lot more affordable than buying a condo, but if you did live in it and then re- sell it, it would be like having free housing for med school.
This is bringing me flashbacks to when I was trying to find some loophole to get me Texas residency (it didn't work). I was trying to figure out whether I could get Texas residency through buying a $5000 parking spot or an inexpensive mobile home somewhere in west Texas. :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Used to be condos could be had for 100k or less while the rents were over 1000 a month. It is probably not recommended at the current interest rates if borrowing money, all to save 30k over 3 years. Condos have shot up a lot near med center.

This is bringing me flashbacks to when I was trying to find some loophole to get me Texas residency (it didn't work). I was trying to figure out whether I could get Texas residency through buying a $5000 parking spot or an inexpensive mobile home somewhere in west Texas. :rofl:
Have you tried leading a Longhorn through a field of Bluebonnets hot diggity dog?

• Haha
Have you tried leading a Longhorn through a field of Bluebonnets hot diggity dog?
...no but you'll never guess what idea I just came up with to impress adcoms next

• Haha

UTSW does this

Sorry if this has been answered, but do Texas Med Schools know where else in Texas you have interviewed?

Sorry if this has been answered, but do Texas Med Schools know where else in Texas you have interviewed?
Once a school has selected you to interview with them, yes they can see which other schools have asked you. It’s all good, makes you look sought-after!

I believe they can see once you’ve interviewed with them. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong!

Once a school has selected you to interview with them, yes they can see which other schools have asked you. It’s all good, makes you look sought-after!
Some people were thrown off by interviewers at specific schools referring to their interviews at other schools. Not sure if it is only one school that asks questions or if there is more than one.

Be prepared to be asked about other schools you are interviewing at and not be shocked when they ask.

May the month of October be filled with lots of IIs and As for everyone

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 15 users
It's gonna be a good month y'all! I can feel it 🤠🙏
1696268125975.png

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 14 users
Question: Are early interviews still considered "better" for TMDSAS if everyone (except pre-matches) receives their acceptance on the same day? Say one person interviews beginning of August and the other interviews in early October, is there really a difference for TMDSAS since they both have to wait for October 15th to hear back for even a pre-match?

I know they say the earlier the better for AACOMAS and AAMCAS but I was just wondering if that was still true for TMDSAS.

Question: Are early interviews still considered "better" for TMDSAS if everyone (except pre-matches) receives their acceptance on the same day? Say one person interviews beginning of August and the other interviews in early October, is there really a difference for TMDSAS since they both have to wait for October 15th to hear back for even a pre-match?

I know they say the earlier the better for AACOMAS and AAMCAS but I was just wondering if that was still true for TMDSAS.
Schools admit people over several rounds and one who finished early may be relooked at during each review if they dont make the first time. So it is more of being part of the pool over and over for second chance.

In practice, no matter when you interview, if they like you they take you in the next prematch review. I still think of the guy who went to interview on Friday late october or early November at A&M after first round of prematches and got prematched on Monday. We truly can't say he would have been better off interviewing in August and waiting for 2.5 months to know the result.

Them: Bonehead you haven’t heard anything from any schools in months. Are you really going to keep refreshing your email every 3 minutes?

Me:

Attachments

• 96E7532E-745C-4B05-A9C6-4D5DC2981BA9.jpeg
    96E7532E-745C-4B05-A9C6-4D5DC2981BA9.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 75
  • Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 13 users
Perusing (Data Reports), it says that for 2022 there 1990 matriculants, but 2258 accepted: what is the discrepancy there for? Also there were 2953 Interviewed and 2258 accepted so does this mean that there's a ~75% chance of getting accepted once you have an II (or multiple) in your hand?

Perusing (Data Reports), it says that for 2022 there 1990 matriculants, but 2258 accepted: what is the discrepancy there for? Also there were 2953 Interviewed and 2258 accepted so does this mean that there's a ~75% chance of getting accepted once you have an II (or multiple) in your hand?
Some people get several acceptances but can only attend one school so that’s part of the matriculant: accepted difference.
Some people get accepted to an OOS school and prefer it.

Them: Bonehead you haven’t heard anything from any schools in months. Are you really going to keep refreshing your email every 3 minutes?

Me:

Submitted primary day-of. Secondaries 24hr turnaround. 2nd cycle. 34yo Nontrad. 1 interview. Crickets now. Still me.

• Care
They always accept more than the number matriculating. Some go out of state.

how do interviews for accepted candidates generally go? I had one today and it was conversational and chill but I have no idea how that could be a deciding factor.. are you supposed to normally make a super strong connection with your interviewer and really show that you belong to the school? Because my interviewer didn't really ask any "fit" questions either. Hope I didn't drop the ball :oops:

I had an interviewer say my CV was fantastic and at the end of the interview he said that he’ll recommend me with the highest regard. He asked me 3 basic questions and talked for 35 out of the 45 minutes. So I’m in the same boat I think because he never asked me any “fit” questions either or anything too important at all lol. So I guess we’ll see what happens.

I had an interviewer say my CV was fantastic and at the end of the interview he said that he’ll recommend me with the highest regard. He asked me 3 basic questions and talked for 35 out of the 45 minutes. So I’m in the same boat I think because he never asked me any “fit” questions either or anything too important at all lol. So I guess we’ll see what happens.
Listening is a super medical skill.

Listening is a super medical skill.
You’re right! He was really passionate about what he was talking about so it made it interesting. I just thought my interview would go a little bit different. A lot less stressful :)

We're getting close to the first day offers of admission can be made to those who interviewed at TMDSAS schools (October 15, 2023).
For Texans these would be called pre-match offers, because they are being made before our February Match Day.
OOS folks who have already interviewed could also hear something, even though they don't take part in our Match algorithm.
A pre-match offer is a true offer of admission. Read more about it over here: What the heck is a prematch?

Last edited:
  • Wow
how do interviews for accepted candidates generally go? I had one today and it was conversational and chill but I have no idea how that could be a deciding factor.. are you supposed to normally make a super strong connection with your interviewer and really show that you belong to the school? Because my interviewer didn't really ask any "fit" questions either. Hope I didn't drop the ball :oops:
You can always follow up with a letter of interest if you are concerned. I wouldn't worry about it -- interviews are really variable

Sometimes an interviewer already thinks you are a good candidate before he meets you, and when he confirms that you are a normal person who can keep a conversation going he might relax and just let the conversation go where it goes. It varies a lot with the interviewer's personality and what their goals are for the interview.

• Care