the trauma stache

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

balaguru

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my last month of trauma as a resident is coming up and we have a tradition that has been practiced on and off since at least the time when I was an MS3 of residents growing out facial hair while on trauma. I have generally observed this tradition especially as a chief. I was just curious: is this done anywhere else?

Members don't see this ad.

My program does "Movember" but nothing quite along those lines!

Members don't see this ad :)
We don't have a tradition as such at my former program. However, last year as chief of the trauma service, I decided to grow an excellent Fu Manchu accompanied by a "flavor savor." In order to embrace the suck. My chairman was decidedly less impressed with my efforts, and I was paged to his office and got a lecture along with "Either shave it off completely or make it into a regular moustache." Is a regular moustache that much more professional than a Fu Manchu?

Hahaha..nice. I should clarify that our tradition is not exactly encouraged by some of the faculty either. Our old PD handed out pink lady bics to residents during conference. Last time I was on service one faculty member threw down the gauntlet and said if he saw one trash stache as he called them in trauma conference heads were going to roll. Of course nobody shaved and a few of the women showed up wearing fake mustaches and presented mustache themed powerpoint slides. Other faculty use ridicule to get us to shave--I've been accused of looking like a GI attending when I grow out my beard which is prematurely grayed. But then there are other trauma faculty who see the team building value of it all. It's also a little difficult to get worked up when there's a male trauma attending with an ear ring and another who is also our ICU director and has visible tats on his arms.

We don't have a tradition as such at my former program. However, last year as chief of the trauma service, I decided to grow an excellent Fu Manchu accompanied by a "flavor savor." In order to embrace the suck. My chairman was decidedly less impressed with my efforts, and I was paged to his office and got a lecture along with "Either shave it off completely or make it into a regular moustache." Is a regular moustache that much more professional than a Fu Manchu?

We've grown out team beards at the VA and on trauma nights, but it isn't tradition as much as protecting our sanity.

Hahaha..nice. I should clarify that our tradition is not exactly encouraged by some of the faculty either. Our old PD handed out pink lady bics to residents during conference. Last time I was on service one faculty member threw down the gauntlet and said if he saw one trash stache as he called them in trauma conference heads were going to roll. Of course nobody shaved and a few of the women showed up wearing fake mustaches and presented mustache themed powerpoint slides. Other faculty use ridicule to get us to shave--I've been accused of looking like a GI attending when I grow out my beard which is prematurely grayed. But then there are other trauma faculty who see the team building value of it all. It's also a little difficult to get worked up when there's a male trauma attending with an ear ring and another who is also our ICU director and has visible tats on his arms.

:laugh: That's fabulous.