Top GPR programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dc-10

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which GPR programs are considered to be the most competitive to get into? Which ones are considered to be the "top" programs? I guess it depends a lot but in general, what is the censensus?

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for a strong medicine/hopsital program, it'll be different than one that has lots of implants, or surgery, or cosmetics, or whatever. There's a reason that GPRs (and dental schools for that matter aren't ranked).

Having said that, I did quite a bit of research into GPRs before applying so if you PM me with what you're looking for, I can give you an idea.

There is no "perfect" program. Each program is different. What may me great for one person may be awful to another person.

Accreditation gives programs a lot of room to vary, and each does. I have done over 30 site visits and know many program directors. And we are all different.

Some may love an AEGD with limited/no on-call but no OR. Some may like the pros at the VA's but limited/no children.

Best way to find out is to speak with current residents. Best time is Feb-April. First few months they have not seen enough, last few months they are busy making plans for the future. Speak to alumni of your school, to the faculty. Attend resident fairs like the Greater NY meeting has, or career day that many schools have.

Start looking into programs early so you can visit them, spend a day, or do a rotation (this may be hard due to the paperwork/legal restraints),

And ask questions….

If I can be of any help, just let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
rarm1 said:
There is no "perfect" program. Each program is different. What may me great for one person may be awful to another person.

Accreditation gives programs a lot of room to vary, and each does. I have done over 30 site visits and know many program directors. And we are all different.

Some may love an AEGD with limited/no on-call but no OR. Some may like the pros at the VA's but limited/no children.

Best way to find out is to speak with current residents. Best time is Feb-April. First few months they have not seen enough, last few months they are busy making plans for the future. Speak to alumni of your school, to the faculty. Attend resident fairs like the Greater NY meeting has, or career day that many schools have.

Start looking into programs early so you can visit them, spend a day, or do a rotation (this may be hard due to the paperwork/legal restraints),

And ask questions….

If I can be of any help, just let me know.
Could you list some schools that are highly recommended (overall) strong medicine/hopsital program....

There are some many good ones.... you should look at the directory and ask questions about particular ones.... or by location.

Again current residents are the best to answer.

I will give you the good and bad about my own program:

Emergency cover - see a lot of trauma/avulsed teeth/ laceration
but also see tooth aches and a need pain meds...
Must go in a lot. Benefit - tooth aches more common in private practice

In patient consults/ or patient consults - we see all pre-cardiac surgery patients, all pre-radiation H&N patients, pre-bisphonates/ chemo, facial pain
But also see "while i am in the hospital how about a cleaning/new dentures/etc (we see them but don't treat them). Most of oral medicine / oral path patients are as out patients.
Problem long hours when on consults especially with OR cases, many work-ups of rare disorders, less time to see comprehensive care patients

Implants - every Wednesday afternoon - each resident works on a case with an attending, but some are too be finished from year before, some can’t be completed before leaving

# of residents - we went from 6 to 8 - and this may be considered good or bad... less on-call, time on consults... but cuts down on cases done (still way above desired amount)

OMS program at hospital - see a lot of special surgical cases have a lot of help and training - but the OMS residents have first selection

I can go on and on... What is good for one may be bad for another... all in the eye of the beholder....

Some AEGD have a lot of medically compromised and no on-call so some will love it.

Location is important - we are in Delaware near the cities of Phila and Balt... but alot to do here... and no sales tax... but some may love to be in NYC,
or other major city.

I can not mention the programs I site visited... last university I went to speak on why a post grad program (As I might have mentioned, I am Chair of the section of Post Graduate General Dentistry of American Dental Educators Association - ADEA) was NC... Dr. Patton has an excellent hospital based program but again this is in the eye of the beholder....

Each program changes each year to try to improve.

does anyone know about Montefiore, or St.Barnabas, or Jacobi medical center?