Trying to Get Research Project--Extremely Frustrating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rubyness

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All-
I am an MS 4 and I'm applying for a general surgery residency this fall-- I have been trying to get involved on a research project with a faculty member at my school.

First I met with the chair. He was nice, but vague. He wanted me to read over an abstract and a paper of his and then come up with an idea to use some software in a project that deals with public health and trauma. Problem is, I don't really know what questions to ask and I feel utterly lost when it comes to coming up with research ideas. Maybe nothing has sparked my interest enough.

I am looking to jump in on a project as the worker bee-- as in, doing literature searches, data entry, etc. in order to gain experience in research so that eventually I can do it on my own.

Could you all share your approaches with faculty members when trying to get involved on a project?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I actually met an amazing prof here on line..and I am doing research with him right now. Granted I hauled my cookies across the country...but he has me co-authored in a book, and given me a few articles which I stand to get a "first author" as well. I have only been with him for a month, but he is amazing.
Try posting on here, I know it may seem random...but I had nothing before I came down here, and I am leaving with a much more wonderful looking CV.

PM me if you have any other questions...

but certainly try posting here...

unless u are applying for Minnesota program or UCLA
Research would not make much difference

They want to see numbers
good boards scores is better than some research topic without personal interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rubyness-- sounds like you have made the 1st step in making contact with someone in the department. The next step is what should probably have been the 1st step, coming up with an area that you are interested in researching. Although you say that you want to be a "worker bee," there really isn't any reason why you can't be your own "worker bee." You will certainly find research more interesting when you generate your own topics. The funny thing is, that all the things you describe (data entry, lit searches, etc.) won't really teach you much about research. Coming up with the question is more than 1/2 the battle.

As to Vukken's comment, most academic centers (which I know you despise, but bear with me here) like to see at least an interest in research. The RRC requires that every resident in general surgery demonstrate some scholarly interest. Granted, some programs take this very cavalierly, but virtually any "University of X" program will take some research initiative as a plus. At the point of starting the MS4 year, step I is done and the score can't be changed. Doing research can only help you, both in your applications and in deciding whether you want to make research part of your career.

Sorry to hear about your problems getting the project off the ground. It can be especially tough considering we have applications due in just a few months!

This may be a silly question, but are your research mentors/advisors aware of the time pressures?

I can sympathize with you. It's tough when the chairman lays something in your lap and says "here, make something out of nothing...". My best advice would be to find out if there are any G Surg residents currently taking a year or two off doing research at your institution. See if they could use your help on projects or if they just have too much on their plate's and would love it if you took an entire project off their hands. They are not far removed from your situation and will give you something more realistic that can be accomplished given your time constraints. Even if there aren't any "research residents", I am sure there will be some clinical residents doing projects as well.

When someone gives you a research topic and it does not fit within your time schedule I would not bother even starting it.....cuz most likely you will not complete it....

I emphasize this to all those in med schools.....
If you want to do research start early not at the last minute......

PLus, it is much more beneficial for you to ace the boards then waste time in a research you are not going to complete it.

Many community and university programs, the selection committee looks on your board scores...this is true everywhere....the first thing they see if you have good scores...if not probably you would not make it even twith like with 20 papers.....

The want good doctors first...and they know many programs give you one or two years of research anyhow....

I won't sweat it....

Please people work on your boards...not some BS research..

Vukken99 said:
I emphasize this to all those in med schools.....
If you want to do research start early not at the last minute......

I completely agree with this. Whenever I'm asked when to start doing research, I always recommend "as early as possible"...summer after first year is a good time to get the ball rolling.

Research can help your chances in matching to a categorical program
if your board score is not up there with the rest.

One guy matched after lots of kissing you know what plus he did some research with the chair.

Later, he left the program after his third-year because he was tired of being yelled at.

The rule in many program is board scores first.
Then how well did he do during his rotation. Was he a very motivated student. Was he someone who can fit in.

Lastly, did he do some research.

So, research is somewhat the last issue in the equation of matching.

if one prof isn't helpful, then talk to others. unless you're at a really small school, there are probably several surgery profs doing research. also talk to residents - they always seem to have something.

Hey man, it's probably too late to get anything going in time for your app. It takes quite a while to get something published. Even if you have a paper written, and submit it today, it is highly unlikely that it would be published in time to help you out. Also program directors are gonna wonder why, if you're so interested in research, you waited until the last minute to get involved with research when you just had 3 long years at a medical school full of residents/researchers to pursue those interests...

On the other hand, if you just want to "be involved" with research, and get your feet wet in a "research project", then by all means go for it. At the very least, you will have something extra to chat about on an interview. I would approach the residents who are doing research already. A lot of medical students at my program get valuable experience working for the residents... and eventually they get their names on some publications.

I agree with Vukken... at this point, focus on Step II. Surgery programs are very interested in board scores, and grades. Anything with a percentile or a number! You will definitely get a some chances to do research in your residency if you are really interested.

I've read some great advice on this thread. But here's a question: What exactly is a good board score for step 1? Or at least "good enough". Thanks.