Two "lifestyle" questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LIDO

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Couple "lifestyle" questions:

1. Do you guys have time to exercise at the gym / runs?

2. Is it a bad idea to continue skiing / snowboarding due to increased risk of hand injury?

Any insight is appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Couple "lifestyle" questions:

1. Do you guys have time to exercise at the gym / runs?

2. Is it a bad idea to continue skiing / snowboarding due to increased risk of hand injury?

Any insight is appreciated! Thanks!

1. I know plenty of residents and practicing surgeons that continue to exercise frequently. Some do long-distance running, and others do heavy lifting and compete in bench press contests. I have to admit that I've personally slowed down on the exercise, but it has more to do with my two kids than with work.

2. Plenty of people still ski/snowboard, but like all physical activity there are risks. My friend broke his wrist snowboarding and couldn't operate for a month.

I workout everyday I am curently doing a nice powerbuilding routine

Members don't see this ad :)
There is time to pursue casual physical activities (ie, you probably aren't going to be able to run hundreds of miles/week without giving up something else) and many residents and attendings do.

As SLUser notes, there is risk with all physical activities; heck, I ended up with a CTR recently most likely related to my yoga and rowing (presumably less risky than skiing and snowboarding).

BTW, be prepared for the possibility that your disability insurance will have higher rates related to such activities. Mine asked about skiing, snowboarding, skydiving, scuba diving and how many traffic tickets for speeding I'd gotten. I'll let you guess which ones I had trouble answering. :p

You have time for one in depth hobby or two part-time hobbies.