UCI - who is going to matriculate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drako

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one of you folks are going to matriculate at UCI?

Members don't see this ad.

I will :) !!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Count me in! :clap:

Magic 8-Ball says, "All Signs Point To Yes."

any suggestions for uci hopefuls?
for those of you matriculating, why did you chose uci?
thanks!
:)

Family, weather, tuition cost, undergraduates nearby, residency placement primarily in CA, and extremely cheap on-campus housing.

I have a question for you UCI people, what kind of GPA/MCAT do think you need to get in assuming the rest of your application is fair?

Average at UCI is 31+ and the GPA is around 3.67.

anyone get in who hasn't taken biochem? is it worth applying without it?

You can post to this thread and see your future classmates: <a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006056;p=12" target="_blank">Future medical class of 2006 classmates</a> :p

Originally posted by lola:
anyone get in who hasn't taken biochem? is it worth applying without it?

LOLA,
I didn't take Biochem and I got into UCI. Have you taken other courses (Cell Bio, Genetics, etc) that maybe covered some of the same topics? You could call admissions and ask them. Keep hope alive.

Pocwana - There were a lot of factors that played into my decision to go to UCI. First and foremost, I picked UCI for lifestyle reasons. UCI has a very laid back feel. All the students at UCI to whom I spoke were very happy!! The grading system is Honors/Pass/Fail, which results in less stress and less competition amongst the students. Likewise, the curriculum is structured so that there is a lot of opportunity for early patient contact. Hours spent in lecture are minimized, while hours spent actually learning HOW to be a doctor are maximized. Students at UCI have a lot of free time to pursue other interests. All of the students at UCI to whom I talked to said that Medical school is part of their lives but it is NOT their life!! This is extremely important to me. Additionally, the location just cannot be beat, nor can the amazing tuition and the incredible rent for the on-campus graduate student housing. Students at UCI are very well prepared for residency, perform amazingly well on the boards, and match into very respectable residency programs. What more could you want??

STi555 (and all else interested): According to the 2003-2004 MSAR, "The 2001 entering class had the following statistics: mean cum GPA, 3.6, mean science GPA, 3.6, mean MCAT, 10.3." But, I know people with both above and below those stats who were accepted. I think UCI is moving toward selecting more and more academically qualified students to fill their class. With California's strong applicant pool, I think that UCI has the pick of the litter, and they know it!!!

Lola, about taking biochem, I'm not sure if it is an absolute requirement. I would definitely call up the school and ask. Maybe if you can't take biochem, they will be okay with you just doing the summer program (which is in July) and covers both biochem and anatomy?!?! It's worth asking!

I'm very excited about attending UCI in the fall and I will be at UCI this summer, doing the summer program. If anyone has any other questions, feel free to PM me!!

GOOD LUCK!!!
-Dr Happy

hpitup,
i've taken cell bio but not genetics. i majored in chemistry. my bio background isn't the greatest, except that i do have a master's degree in epidemiology and was able to take 2 semesters of physiology and 1 semester of reproductive biology in grad school. anyway, i think i'll apply even though it says in msar not to if you don't have the requirements.

I'll confirm the happy students. I can't believe I forgot that... I went on 10 interviews and I definitely didn't see any happier.

Thanks for the info! I can't wait to get my MCAT score back. Hopefully I won't have to take it again!

Thanks all of you guys for posting.
Hopefully I'll see you there! :D