UCSF, COLUMBIA, UPENN, USC !!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skim2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...
I have eliminated to above four schools.
If you were to be accepted to all of these school, how would you choose one of them and why? and also, what do you think one should do based on what?

thank you for your inputs.. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, can you guys rank them based on following aspects each...
1)Program (research)
2)Clinical
3)Tuition
4)Reputation
5)environment

thank you again.

I'm not sure what you meant by 'eliminate'...did u mean that you've narrowed down your choices to these 4 (and that you've been admitted to all of them)?? If so, I personally think it's UCSF. Why? It's arguably one of the top 3 public schools in the country (and maybe overall), much cheaper than the others you mentioned, and in San Francisco! Columbia and Penn are also great programs, but much more expensive and with no better reputation than 'sf. Research wise, 'SF led the country in funding last year. Environment wise, though, I'd have to take Penn, they just seemd like a much more laid back, cohesive, and fun bunch than the 'SF folks I met. just my $.02 :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey skim2,

you and i were at the penn interview together the same day... congrats on the acceptances! i too am perplexed with my choices--upenn, uconn and columbia. but given your situation, i would second waiting's recommendation. ucsf is a great dental school, academically and clinically. and san francisco's great! i'm actually pretty familiar with all the different locales of your four choices. i lived in los angeles for a year and frequented san francisco a dozen or so times. i grew up in new york city and my significant other is from philadelphia. i think besides the quality of education you'll be considering, you'll also have to decide which city is for you. i personally am not crazy about philadelphia at all, and have become semi-removed from the crazy life of the big apple... but still love los angeles (the most) and san francisco. i haven't heard from ucla nor ucsf; my application at ucsf is apparently incomplete. but i won't be pursuing the west coast schools. at this point, i simply want to make a decision and be done.
skim2, you have some solid choices... so i think whichever you decide, it'll be a fine decision no matter what! good luck! perhaps we'll be classmates at one of these schools! :D

Hi Reena,
Looks like you are the right person to ask ...between USC,UOP & UCSF which is the top uni ? I went for an interiview at USC , they were not very forthcoming with the schools achievements etc , I havent been to UOP yet ....

Thank you for your advices waiting and reena...
Yeah.. at this point, I'm not going to any more interviews. I'm only accepted to Upenn with merit scholarship offer and this makes me consider Upenn more than Columbia. But sure.. I wanna go to UCSF. UCSF is really good school I think because when i went to the interview, it seemed like they didn't have to make their school appealing to us. (Interview was very unorganized)
Also, the facts that USC's PLB program and city(Los Angeles) were very appealing to me but it was too expensive.... so far.. my first choice will be UCSF if i get accepted but otherwise I will have to decide between Upenn and Columbia...
thank you guys agian..

sang..

p.s. to Waiting: I meant that "I eliminated down to four schools..." :D

Skim2--
Congratlations on all your acceptances!!! I think we had the interviews together at Columbia and UCSF. If I were in your situation, I would go to UPenn, especially with the merit scholarship. I got into UPenn, but did not get the scholarship. So I am considering between UCLA (accepted)and UCSF (still waiting). UC schools are great but you have to remember it is a public school. They don't really care about their students and some of their students are not happy because of lack of support and difficulty of the school. Also, if you are not a California resident, you will have to pay a lot to go to a UC school (at least during your first year). Good luck with your decision process!!

Hey Bruin2k.. What's up?
I'm kinda deciding between UPENN and Columbia.
But little towards UPENN since I have to send $500 deposit by 20th of DEC. ...
WEll, so everything going well for you? I guess so... I can't wait until hearing from UCSF.. because if I get in sooner, I wou;dn't have to pay $500 to UPENN. well, who knows... we might end up going to same school..
Best of luck...

sang

Hey congrats on all those acceptances! I was wondering if anyone knew how the admissions process works at UCSF. I just interviewed there and they said that they only sent out 26 letters of acceptances on Dec. 1st. For the second round, they will consider end of this month. If I don't hear from them by end of this month, do you know if they look at my file again for the next round????

Skim2,

What did you like about Penn???? I'm also considering Penn, but still waiting to hear from UCSF. I thought that Penn had an excellent program. But the facilities seemed old and the neighborhood wasn't very nice. Can you tell me some reasons why you like this school?????

Hello Caligirl
What I like about Upenn was their friendly environment of faculty members... also, there are building a new building which will give them the newest facilities.... UPENN is strong school in research and also clinics.. I think UPENN is way better than COLUMBIA except the part that more % from Columbia go to GPR and specialty...
I just sent in my $500 deposit to UPENN today...
If I don't get into UCSF, I might end up going to UPENN..

Good luck

sang