UMD vs Rush vs Penn State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwertyuiop32

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am having a very difficult time choosing between these 3 medical programs each with its different pros and cons. I hope there are individuals on here who can provide some opinions or more information so that I can make a better-informed decision.

Rush
Pros
  • Aligns with the mission of what I want to do (mentorship, equity, volunteering)
  • P/F entirely with graded clinical (I saw a post from 2021 that compares Rush with UMD but I heard from the students that the P/F pre-clinical with no internal rankings is fairly new.
  • Top Ortho power-house

Cons
  • They have not had as many students match Ortho compared to these other 2 schools
  • Mainly focused on primary care whereas I am interested in surgical specialties or dermatology

UMD
Pros
  • Matches very well, well-regarded school, and tons of resources nearby (i.e JHU, Shock Trauma center)

Cons
  • Graded Pre-clinical
Penn State
Pros
  • Matches very well,, well-regarded school for sports medicine
Cons
  • Rural Area
  • Graded Pre-clincal

Summary: I have no ties to any of these areas/states. Financial does not really matter in this sense because they are all close to the same and my thinking is that if I want to pursue a medical program that will greatly benefit me then the money will pay itself out later. Please please give more insight / more information. I am at a standstill with all of these programs. They are all about equal with me.

Members don't see this ad.