University of Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Larsitron

Mac Addict
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to see how many U of R people there are reading this forum. I'm going to be arriving at the School of Medicine in the fall and just wanted to start getting to know people. I did a forum search and found that most of the other threads were relatively ancient, so I may have already answered my question.

Members don't see this ad.

Hm...I guess I did answer my own question...

They're all too busy playing with funny looking siamese cats to post on here ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
lol. Is Wozniak really all that funny looking? I think he just looks sleepy.

Larsitron said:
lol. Is Wozniak really all that funny looking? I think he just looks sleepy.
He's cute :p I wish I could help you with UofR. I did my undergrad at RIT and the only thing I consistently heard was that UofR was good school, but not good enough for the money they charged. I knew undergrads in debt for $150k+ at that school. I think this is why their wait list has one of the highest movement rates.

I can't speak for their undergrad program (undergrad debt sucks), but from my asking around (esp. in the neurology and neuroscience communities) everyone says their med school is a great program for academic medicine. I can't wait to go there in the fall.

Larsitron said:
I just wanted to see how many U of R people there are reading this forum. I'm going to be arriving at the School of Medicine in the fall and just wanted to start getting to know people. I did a forum search and found that most of the other threads were relatively ancient, so I may have already answered my question.

Many congrats on your acceptances. It's great to hear that you're set for UR in the fall. I'm an M1 here, and I look forward to meeting you. UR is a wonderful school, and I have no doubt you'll do well and have a great time here.

Please feel free to ask anythin' about whatever's on your mind.

A friend of mine sent me a link to your post; apparently the people at UPenn have far more time for extracurriculars like SDN ;)

Hey Larsitron,
We're not too busy...just having too much fun. or something like that. Anyhow, I'm a rochester third year. I found a few friends on this site before I started school. It made orientation day #1 a little less scary. I have loved my Rochester experience and would borrow another $135,000 anyday. You are right about neuro and neurosurgery. We have a fantastic neuro course and clerkship. I couldn't believe how much I learned during it and how much I retained until the boards. Feel free to ask any questions you have and i'll answer or help you get in touch with someone who can answer!
-Michelle

I'm an undergrad at UR (and I happen NOT to be in debt ;)) but I'll be going to UPenn for MD/PhD next year.

My guess as to why the UR people aren't replying to this thread en masse: they're busy enjoying the unusually beautiful weather we've had the past 2 days!

Anyway, if you have any questions about Rochester I'd be happy to help. A lot of my good friends are med students at UR or soon will be.

josephgoro said:
apparently the people at UPenn have far more time for extracurriculars like SDN ;)

:D :thumbup:

BingGirl said:
Hey Larsitron,
We're not too busy...just having too much fun. or something like that. Anyhow, I'm a rochester third year. I found a few friends on this site before I started school. It made orientation day #1 a little less scary. I have loved my Rochester experience and would borrow another $135,000 anyday. You are right about neuro and neurosurgery. We have a fantastic neuro course and clerkship. I couldn't believe how much I learned during it and how much I retained until the boards. Feel free to ask any questions you have and i'll answer or help you get in touch with someone who can answer!
-Michelle

Awesome. Thanks. Yeah, I'd really like to have a little bit of a social network a little bit established before I move up there in July. I guess my biggest question is about the university grad housing. It seems really nice and a decent deal, but given that I've never lived there I could be wrong. Any thoughts?

javert said:
I'm an undergrad at UR (and I happen NOT to be in debt ;)) but I'll be going to UPenn for MD/PhD next year.

My guess as to why the UR people aren't replying to this thread en masse: they're busy enjoying the unusually beautiful weather we've had the past 2 days!

Anyway, if you have any questions about Rochester I'd be happy to help. A lot of my good friends are med students at UR or soon will be.

:D :thumbup:
Glad to hear about the good weather. Rochester winters can suck (especially on the RIT quarter mile). Did you guys have dandilion day yet? I seem to remember it falling around MCAT time, so probably not. I used to go every yr...... always fun.

thackl said:
Glad to hear about the good weather. Rochester winters can suck (especially on the RIT quarter mile). Did you guys have dandilion day yet? I seem to remember it falling around MCAT time, so probably not. I used to go every yr...... always fun.

Nope, not yet. D-day is April 23, so it's a week after the MCATs this year. The rumors are that they're getting rid of the carnival rides and instead putting in a beer garden. I guess they're finally recognizing that D-day is and never was a carnival. Although, it'll make the day a little less fun if this is true. :D

A beer garden makes it less fun?

Members don't see this ad :)
OK...so if you ask the administration, D-day (Dandelion Day) is a day of celebration of the end of classes...there are carnival rides, picnics, concerts, etc.

If you ask the students D-day (Drinking Day) is a day when >80% of the student body simultaneously gets drunk. Drinking usually starts before sunrise and people begin passing out by noon. They have an ambulance parked on site throughout the entire day because of the number of people sent to the hospital. They also have security and police throughout campus, but as long as your beer isn't in a see-though container, you're fine. The best part of D-day (well, besides the drinking) is watching all of the student groups perform drunk.

So...a beer garden is certainly not needed. And the nausea-inducing carnival rides add much entertainment, as long as you're not the one getting thrown up on. The reason for the beer garden is apparently to try to control and contain the drinking...but that's obviously not going to work since no one will buy their overpriced beer.

I see. Do the med students get to participate?

:laugh: Of course! As thackl said, even RIT students venture over to be a part of the festivities.

Excellent...

Wow, I don't remember it being that much of a drunks fest...... then again, I haven't been since 1997 :eek:

I'm at Rochester as well, currently taking a year for research between 3rd and 4th year. I absolutely love the school and would come here again in a heartbeat. The faculty and students are awesome to work with.

About university housing, it is actually pretty decent. Many people live in University Park, Goler House, or Whipple Park and really enjoy it. The other options are not very nice and I would not recommend them. Housing in Rochester is actually pretty reasonable, but I would say having the utilities included (as you do in university housing) makes university housing even more affordable. If you want to hear more specifics about the housing options, let me know.

Hope that helps!

IM a former Undergrad, HOusing is cheap but I would go with off-campus housing, you would be surprised what you can get for the same money as on campus housing. Houses right across the street from the hospital on crittenden and beyond are very cheap and very nice. If you are single, university housing is nice

D-Day (Drunk/Drug/Dandelion) used to be great! now there is much more conservastive facultyh at rochester and it is not nearly as fun as it used to be. It was basically our whole spring weekend rolled into one day.

But I had a great time in rochester. There is a bar scene (alexander street), an artsy area, tons of restaurants, and its all cheap! HAve fun

about housing...i agree with above-the other u-housing options are not worth it.
first year i lived in university park- paid $570 for a very nice size one bedroom with utilities included (which was great in the winter when i didn't have to worry about leaving the heat up). the place was clean, staff helpful and repairs attended to quick.
be forwarned- the housing lady can be a real b*tch. word on the street is you can bribe her to get what you want. i don't know if there is truth to that. the good thing is once you are in you NEVER have to see or talk to her ever again.
i moved off campus second year because i had friends in the area who weren't students so they couldn't live with me in campus housing. I currently have a 2 bedroom flat about 1 mile from school in the southwedge. The whole place costs $495 and i pay utilities on top of that which run $100-$250 depending on heat. It's cheaper that u-housing was because I split the bill with a roommate. I think $495 is at the low end of what you can find. In my neighborhood I think most places are $550-$600. Places around park ave can be $800 or so. Still if you split that, it's cheaper than living on your own in u-housing and it's a nice area to live in. (If you live in u-housing you are basically in a big parking lot or wooded area- if you live near park ave you are around all the bars, museums and restaurants).
best of luck,
:)

Well, I like bars. I guess I just find it daunting because I don't know anyone/have no mechanism other than craigslist (which is new to Rochester BTW) to seek out a place to live. It seems like a pretty good idea to just try and land a U-housing option and then seeing how things work out next year. But walking distance to a good pub? I wouldn't mind that at all.

By the way, I was in Rochester the monday before last. Did I meet any of you? I was the guy hanging out with Rene who is in his first year.

I didn't realize Rochester had craigslist now. I'll have to check that out.

You know, at least a few years ago when I was accepted, they had an e-mail list for all the accepted applicants with info about who was looking for roommates or knew of an available apartment or whatever. Quite a few people in my class were able to find roommates from the med school for that first year. Do they do that anymore? If not, you may want to check with the admissions office to see if they keep a list of names of students looking for roommates. I'm sure there are a lot of other people in this same situation.

Yeah, I think that still holds true. They'll just get on that post May 15 I think. I'm hoping to be finding a place in the first week of June and move in by the first week of July because a) July's a great time to leave AZ, and b) I'd really like maybe 6 weeks to just see what there is to see and make a home in the new place.

Larsitron said:
craigslist (which is new to Rochester BTW)

Wow...you don't say. I've been using craigslist daily to find appts in Philly and never noticed the Rochester addition. Wish this would have been put in place sooner ;)

While I'm waiting to see if any incoming first years are looking for a roommate, how feasible would it be to start looking for a roommate within the current med student population? Does anyone know of a current student/group of students looking for a roommate?

I don't know of any right now, but if I hear of anything I will let you know.

Thanks! I really appreciate it.

:laugh: Hi Guys, I'm debating between U or R and AE. And I only have a few days before the May 15 deadline. I loved both schools when I interviewed there, and I'm leaning slightly towards U or R. Do the students there enjoy being there? Are they super happy? What do you guys do for fun? And how many inches of snow do you guys get, and that encompasses what month to what month? Hahah :) Any advice would help greatly. I'm supper torn, and I hate to make a decision I'll regret...sigh. Thx for the help guys. Would a girl from Southern CA like myself be happy at U or R? I hope so, let me know!

smartievan said:
:laugh: Hi Guys, I'm debating between U or R and AE. And I only have a few days before the May 15 deadline. I loved both schools when I interviewed there, and I'm leaning slightly towards U or R. Do the students there enjoy being there? Are they super happy? What do you guys do for fun? And how many inches of snow do you guys get, and that encompasses what month to what month? Hahah :) Any advice would help greatly. I'm supper torn, and I hate to make a decision I'll regret...sigh. Thx for the help guys. Would a girl from Southern CA like myself be happy at U or R? I hope so, let me know!

Students definitely enjoy themselves at UR and are typically very close-knit. We hold tons of bar nights, impromptu parties, and other types of social events. The school seems to recruit well-rounded applicants who are interested in having an active social life, playing sports, volunteering, etc.

On the other hand, the Rochester winters can really wear on a person. I don't know how many inches of snow we get, but I'm from Portland, OR (obviously not as warm as California) and it has been a tough adjustment for me. The weather in NYC is slightly better, but let's face it, coming from Cali both places are just going to seem very cold, snowy, and windy to you. I don't think there's enough of a weather difference that it should be a major determining factor.

Assuming that the quality of the education at both of these schools is similar (I can't really comment on this as I know very little about AE), it seems like the major question is whether you'd be happy in a smaller city. Rochester has a number of options for entertainment, and decent bars and restaurants, but it's nothing like NYC, or even Portland.

I hope that helps! Good luck with this tough decision. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.

-BBB

If you don't go to Rochester you will regret it. It's a great school. Laid back. In general, the instructors give you high yield information rather than try to bury you in information and let you figure it out yourself. We called it the "Hippy" medical school because there was so much love -- very supportive.

Regarding the snow -- suck it up. Usually get between 100-150 inches per year. Buy some boots and a good coat. You're going to be inside most of the time anyway. It doesn't snow inside.

Ed