Forum Members Upgrade feedback and bug log

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I always appreciate striving for improvement, but to be honest, this is borderline unusable. I can’t log in on my desktop and I can barely figure out how to do anything from my phone. Not to be dramatic but I don’t really see myself continuing to contribute to the forums with this format.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with stagg. I’ve been on less then 10 min and I’m getting a headache (and I rarely get headaches).

Can we at least try to get a design that mimics the old style now that it’s not compatible with the platform?

"Basic Template" has helped a lot. Still not a huge fan, but I like it better than light mode and at least it's not giving me an actual headache.

@Lawper, did not try changing font in light mode, but am liking the Basic template fine. Will keep the font size in mind though, thanks!

@WildWing , @Lee : Again, thank you for taking our suggestions into consideration and fixing what you can. Even with the many issues and complaints it's good to know the team is actually hearing us out. Thank you for basic mode as well, I'm not getting a headache with the format now (less empty space and less things running together).

A few suggestions for basic mode/all modes. It would be nice to get the 5-year and 2-year banners back (at least in basic mode) for users who have been here a while. There are a lot of people who are veterans to the site who haven't been here 10 years and in the past users who weren't able to see my 5 year banner and "resident in any field" status on mobile would occasionally start arguments thinking I was a pre-med/newer user. Already mentioned but if the area under the avatar/banner could include post count, likes, join date, etc like in the past that would also be appreciated.

Thanks again!

Reactions: 4 users
What happened to the member badges??? I had my 7+ year member badge should get a 10 year one this year.... where did they all go?????

Members don't see this ad :)
What happened to the member badges??? I had my 7+ year member badge should get a 10 year one this year.... where did they all go?????
They'll be back! We have some more fine tuning to do on the forums.

A few things broke during the upgrade that had been working on the development server. We'll get them all fixed over the next 48 hours.

Reactions: 7 users
Whoever called this "sleek" must think it means the same thing as "bloated" and probably failed CARS.

If I ever have to read a long post about USMLE prep or matching I'm going to copy paste it into word and read it there.

So the Basic skin needs to have the option to make the forum wide. Why do I want so much empty space on each side of the posts.

But it is better than the others so far.

I also notice that on Basic, there is no separation in the forum with the stickied posts and the regular posts... That should be separated.

You've been demoted. Welcome to SDN, noob. ;)

Can I now whine about how mean and negative all those people are in pre-vet and that they should just feed me cookies and lies on a silver platter so that I feel better about my naivety and rose-colored glasses view?

Reactions: 5 users
I always appreciate striving for improvement, but to be honest, this is borderline unusable. I can’t log in on my desktop and I can barely figure out how to do anything from my phone. Not to be dramatic but I don’t really see myself continuing to contribute to the forums with this format.

Explain carefully. What are the issues you're having? Did you try the basic style? Did you clear the cookies and/or cache before logging in?

I also notice that on Basic, there is no separation in the forum with the stickied posts and the regular posts... That should be separated.

There's little to no separation in other styles too. Agreed they should be separated especially since I thought this thread was a sticky for hours :bag::sorry:

Similarly not able to access from chrome. I have cleared cookies, restarted browser, the works.

Notifications aren't changing colors to indicate you have "seen/clicked" on them already.

See picture below

I have clicked on all of those notifications, they should change to indicate I have already "seen" them.... instead the top three appear like I haven't viewed them?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One thing I do like is the multiquotes in Basic template before they're populated into the text box. They're easier to discern from one another than in previous formats and easier to move up and down in the queue.

Can I now whine about how mean and negative all those people are in pre-vet and that they should just feed me cookies and lies on a silver platter so that I feel better about my naivety and rose-colored glasses view?

Only if you also tell them that they're all wrong and that none of the real veterinarians know what they're talking about!

Notifications aren't changing colors to indicate you have "seen/clicked" on them already.

See picture below

I have clicked on all of those notifications, they should change to indicate I have already "seen" them.... instead the top three appear like I haven't viewed them?
View attachment 256474
It used to only show unread notifications but now it seems like it shows you all of them

On the mobile site you cannot see the pages under the threads in a forum. So when you click on the thread name it takes you to the first page.

To circumvent this you can click on the time under it where it says last message, but I believe having the pages listed under the name is more useful as it allows you to jump directly to a page where you may have last seen.

Explain carefully. What are the issues you're having? Did you try the basic style? Did you clear the cookies and/or cache before logging in?
Yes I’m in the basic style. The biggest issue is that I just can’t stand the layout. I much prefer a sleek and simple style. Maybe I’ll get used to it but...this is not jiving with me right now. And it won’t let me log on when I’m using my desktop. Hopefully this is only temporary.

Yes I’m in the basic style. The biggest issue is that I just can’t stand the layout. I much prefer a sleek and simple style. Maybe I’ll get used to it but...this is not jiving with me right now. And it won’t let me log on when I’m using my desktop. Hopefully this is only temporary.

how does the basic style compare with the other styles?

you need to clear all the cache/cookies in your history and then log in. also look into earlier posts here from Lee showing how to handle the Chrome issue. I had no issues logging in from other browsers

how does the basic style compare with the other styles?

you need to clear all the cache/cookies in your history and then log in. also look into earlier posts here from Lee showing how to handle the Chrome issue. I had no issues logging in from other browsers
Basic seems to be a lot better. Still prefer the old blue theme, but this is at least tolerable.

The "necrobump" checkbox and warning message from pre-upgrade no longer show up. Instead, it seems impossible to bump old threads.

Info Message said:
Oops! We ran into some problems.
It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.

Reactions: 1 user
I wanted to give a visual by what I mean about all the sub-forums on top of sub-forum on top of sub-forums being like a giant, unorganized rat maze....

The two images below are for pre-vet....
SDN Pre-Vet 1.png

Ok, above is what I can see upon getting into the pre-vet forum without having to scroll. I can't see any of the main forum without scrolling, which isn't that bad, but it is kind of annoying.

The blue bracket above is sub-forums? I guess. Anyway, each of the underlined in purple have a separate forum with a crap ton of threads to filter through and read.

The red bracket are the "stickied" threads.... of which the one underlined in gray has links to random threads both in pre-vet and in other areas. So a thread send you to other forums and other threads.

I haven't even reached the main forum and I am already visiting multiple forums and threads.

I am going to be very honest.... I don't even look at any of these. Honestly don't know if pre-vets have pressing questions in those because I don't visit them.... too much of a rat maze and I am focused on the main pre-vet forum, which you can't even see in the above photo.

SDN Pre-Vet 2.png

So now in this image above I have scrolled down and we can NOW see the actual main pre-vet forums. The red, again, indicates the stickied threads which are now basically unable to even see a difference from the main forum below. The green line indicates the start of the main forum.... I start here and scroll through. Anything above this green line.... I don't even look at. Hope no one has questions in those areas, because, I know I am not visiting them. It is way too much to navigate through.... i.e... it is a rat maze... multiple random forums with numerous threads. So I focus on the main forum only.

Here is the veterinary forum look as well.... that NAVLE sub-forum.... nope, don't visit it. This one at least isn't as bad, but still. I went from needing to read one forum with numerous threads to needing to now read multiple sub-forums each with numerous threads PLUS the main forums with their numerous threads??? It doesn't happen.

I doubt I am the only one that doesn't visit every single sub-forum and only focuses their attention on the main forum. Honestly, I would be overwhelmed as a new member to see all these forums with sub-forums.

SDN Veterinay.png

Apparently I found out they don't all count as likes. But nothing counted as negative reaction scores so that's good.
Do only likes count towards the reaction scores?

I'm pretty mindful of my post:like ratio, and I don't appreciate any changes to the system that might shunt what likely would have otherwise been likes to perhaps lovey eyes that don't count as a like.

Also the unhappy faces are already bothering me. In some instances you can't tell if a user doesn't like you and your post, vs them agreeing with your post but agreeing with you if you are expressing displeasure.

The only truly compelling reason I have ever seen to have a button besides like, is for posts where people are like "hey my cat died" or "I didn't get into medical school" and you want to sort of leave an acknowledgement without having to write something, and hitting the like button feels wrong. Pat on the back button, or fruit basket button?

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Can you please keep the OLD SCHOOL LAYOUT as an option? I won't be able to continue using this otherwise.

the green for vets definitely makes the text unreadable (and is an ugly shade of green at that) Why is it even green if the pre-vet forum is pink?
It's green because you guys are closer to the animals and therefore the earth, than the rest of us. The pre-vet forum is clearly pink because the admit pool is mostly full of people that love my little ponies, bronys, and little pink piggies. When I imagine the stereotypical pre-vettie I imagine someone with a pink bedspread. All the human med types have no soul comparatively so the colour pink is just wrong wrong wrong for the rest of us.

• Haha

I'm pretty mindful of my post:like ratio, and I don't appreciate any changes to the system that might shunt what likely would have otherwise been likes to perhaps lovey eyes that don't count as a like.

Also the unhappy faces are already bothering me. In some instances you can't tell if a user doesn't like you and your post, vs them agreeing with your post but agreeing with you if you are expressing displeasure.

The only truly compelling reason I have ever seen to have a button besides like, is for posts where people are like "hey my cat died" or "I didn't get into medical school" and you want to sort of leave an acknowledgement without having to write something, and hitting the like button feels wrong. Pat on the back button, or fruit basket button?

Agreed. Emojis are completely out of place.

• Wow

Likes, loves and hahas each add to your reaction score. Wows, sads and angrys don't affect your reaction score.

• Wow
Agreed. Emojis are completely out of place.
We've been kicking around something beyond a like button for some time, so I'm kinda grateful they tried it, but I think it's an easy spot to go wrong. I would only allow "positive" emotions to be expressed, lol. I forget what they call that in psychology. Problematic in real life but probably adaptive on the webz.

Likes, loves and hahas each add to your reaction score. Wows, sads and angrys don't affect your reaction score.
Ah yes, but having options that don't add to my reaction score will likely only serve to undermine my reaction score in the long run. But thanks for the info.

• Haha
The year banner issue was sorta fixed earlier.... from none, to showing all the banners (my 2 and my 5 yr) and now only the 10 yr banner.

Much as with likes, some of us are oddly attached to SDN and have absurd feelings about showing off our "credentials" - seems kind of a shame only to have year banners for those who have been around longer than 10 years.

The trophy points are also sorta... well, it's come up that the system isn't ideal, and so I think of any info that would display under an avatar or in drop down, that is one of the least useful.

Interesting, the preview post button shows up twice under my post

Ah yes, but having options that don't add to my reaction score will likely only serve to undermine my reaction score in the long run. But thanks for the info.

It's a bit meaningless for a forum so i'm not sure why XF2 software included it. Facebook uses it for data collection purposes but it's a bit weird for forum software to copy it.

It's green because you guys are closer to the animals and therefore the earth, than the rest of us. The pre-vet forum is clearly pink because the admit pool is mostly full of people that love my little ponies, bronys, and little pink piggies. When I imagine the stereotypical pre-vettie I imagine someone with a pink bedspread. All the human med types have no soul comparatively so the colour pink is just wrong wrong wrong for the rest of us.

The veterinary forum should be black in contrast to the pre-vet forum to show what working in the veterinary field does to one's soul.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
New style is unusable. I'm sure I won't be missed, but I don't plan on logging in nearly as much if things stay as is, i.e. without the option to choose older styles.

"basic" looks a bit better.

I agree with @DVMDream that some of the sub-forum compartmentalization is potentially problematic.

There are areas of SDN that I think would be better served by figuring out an organization that would help to drive certain kinds of traffic to it.

Basically, anything that's going to drive attendings, vets, graduates, through the pre-whatever forums, is going to do a lot towards the actual mission of the site.

Thank you for adding the basic layout, I'm still getting used to it but it's definitely better than the new default option! It might be a good idea to add something to the popup text advising people on Chrome to clear their cookies in order to log in, that took a bit to figure out for me.

I also miss having people's post counts below their avatar, as well as titles like "veterinary student." Now it's difficult to tell pre-vets from vet students unless someone has their school/year listed below their name.

Not sure if I like the new reaction options yet, but I'm glad the negative ones don't count towards your "reaction score" either way.

I see now that I am able to report my own content to the moderators... wasn't sure if that was an option before. Probably one of the better things added to the upgrade ;)

I wanted to give a visual by what I mean about all the sub-forums on top of sub-forum on top of sub-forums being like a giant, unorganized rat maze....

The two images below are for pre-vet....
View attachment 256482

Ok, above is what I can see upon getting into the pre-vet forum without having to scroll. I can't see any of the main forum without scrolling, which isn't that bad, but it is kind of annoying.

The blue bracket above is sub-forums? I guess. Anyway, each of the underlined in purple have a separate forum with a crap ton of threads to filter through and read.

The red bracket are the "stickied" threads.... of which the one underlined in gray has links to random threads both in pre-vet and in other areas. So a thread send you to other forums and other threads.

I haven't even reached the main forum and I am already visiting multiple forums and threads.

I am going to be very honest.... I don't even look at any of these. Honestly don't know if pre-vets have pressing questions in those because I don't visit them.... too much of a rat maze and I am focused on the main pre-vet forum, which you can't even see in the above photo.

View attachment 256483

So now in this image above I have scrolled down and we can NOW see the actual main pre-vet forums. The red, again, indicates the stickied threads which are now basically unable to even see a difference from the main forum below. The green line indicates the start of the main forum.... I start here and scroll through. Anything above this green line.... I don't even look at. Hope no one has questions in those areas, because, I know I am not visiting them. It is way too much to navigate through.... i.e... it is a rat maze... multiple random forums with numerous threads. So I focus on the main forum only.
This has been the case ever since the two new subforums were added in pre-vet about a month ago, as @Lupin21 stated in that stickied thread...it's also how most of the other forums are organized. Nothing too drastic has changed except for the fact that the distinction between stickied vs non-stickied is not as clear as it was before.
I see now that I am able to report my own content to the moderators... wasn't sure if that was an option before. Probably one of the better things added to the upgrade ;)
Always been an option ;) that's how I was able to ask mods to sticky the threads I created when I wasn't yet a mod :)

If not reported yet, on mobile (safari browser) the forum section tabs no longer stay closed. What I mean is, if I click one of the section headers to close it up and not show sub forums, the next time I open the site it is expanded again. In the past it would save the last configuration which was great because I could have Med Student as the first forum section opened when I logged in

Thanks!

Thank you for adding the basic layout, I'm still getting used to it but it's definitely better than the new default option! It might be a good idea to add something to the popup text advising people on Chrome to clear their cookies in order to log in, that took a bit to figure out for me.

I also miss having people's post counts below their avatar, as well as titles like "veterinary student." Now it's difficult to tell pre-vets from vet students unless someone has their school/year listed below their name.

Not sure if I like the new reaction options yet, but I'm glad the negative ones don't count towards your "reaction score" either way.

The year badges and member statuses are being added. Maybe some new, better styles similar to pre-update themes as well :cat:

If not reported yet, on mobile (safari browser) the forum section tabs no longer stay closed. What I mean is, if I click one of the section headers to close it up and not show sub forums, the next time I open the site it is expanded again. In the past it would save the last configuration which was great because I could have Med Student as the first forum section opened when I logged in

Thanks!
Yeah we need something so we don't have to just endlessly scroll past the sections that don't get read.