usc turnaround

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
edit

Members don't see this ad.

yeah boo

thats huge

ideally we'll be classmates next year. when you movin to LA?

BTW-- im on the east coast, and my mail gets sent to a hospital so there are like 40 middle men. If you heard just today from the SF bay area, that means I'll hear (if I hear) in a few days...keepin the old fingas crossed. When was it postmarked?

My top choice too
Sham

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Booradley!!!

Ok....now I'm worried....I interviewed 12/11 too and Corona ain't as far as nor cal from usc...so if I don't hear in the next few days then it prolly means I'm gonna keep going through the review process. :( :(

just wanted to congratulate all the people on this thread :clap: :clap: i'm definitely interested in applying to USC this upcoming year. wouldn't mind a change from the c-o-o-o-o-ld east coast.

also shamthis, good luck to you and i hope all works out w/ USC for you. i've read your posts as i've lurked on this site in the past, and admire your perseverance.

u have nothing to worry about.. it's only been 6 weeks since you interviewed... be patient young bruin.. go watch ucla basketball implode on itself.. it does wonders for me :D

Originally posted by UCLAMAN
Congrats Booradley!!!

Ok....now I'm worried....I interviewed 12/11 too and Corona ain't as far as nor cal from usc...so if I don't hear in the next few days then it prolly means I'm gonna keep going through the review process. :( :(

Originally posted by AznTrojan-MS
u have nothing to worry about.. it's only been 6 weeks since you interviewed... be patient young bruin.. go watch ucla basketball implode on itself.. it does wonders for me :D

haha...i wanted that loser lavin fired since i was a freshman....he transforms mcdonalds all-americans into losers....so i've been watching our basketball team implode on itself since i was a scrub...i'd take your advice but the implosions are getting old for me(especially since they are occurring at a much more torrid frequency than previous years). :D

Congrats Booradley. Hope to see you here next year.

Josh

Originally posted by booradley
Jalby, any suggestions on where to live?

Just E-mail me and I'll give you suggestions/help on figuring out where to live. There is about three great places to live around SC, and I'll discuss the pros and cons about them.

I would venture to say there are more than just 3 good places to live around USC. You really don't need to be within 2 miles of campus. I live about 15 miles out (westside) and have no problem commuting each day (less than 30 minutes). So I think you can settle pretty much anywhere in Los Angeles if you would like a little more extracurricular life than some of the small burgs around USC offer (not that South Pasadena or Monterey Hills are bad :)).

I look at the UCLA basketball season this year as a blessing. Unless Lavin miraculously gets us in to the NCAA tournament and pulls a championship, there is no way he is keeping his job next year. He's screwed over the program for the last time - new blood is on the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah what time you leave makes a difference. Class is almost always going to be at 8 so you wouldn't have to worry about the heavy 8am traffic. I try to get out by 7 when traffic is still light. That gets me to school around 7:30 and leaves me plenty of time to find parking and get to class. Occasionally accidents will happen on other freeways around downtown and things can get a little slow, but only ever up until the 110 freeway. I don't think I have ever taken more than an hour, at the worst.

I've actually never tried going the 12 miles on side streets, I always thought the 10 moved plenty fast.

Congrats to all of those who have been accepted so far. :clap: :clap:

I was born in LA County, though that has not seemed to make the Admissions Committee very appreciative of the rest of my application. ;) (Been waiting to hear from them since mid-Nov.)

Hope I end up as classmates with you blokes.

Originally posted by El Jefe
I would venture to say there are more than just 3 good places to live around USC. You really don't need to be within 2 miles of campus. I live about 15 miles out (westside) and have no problem commuting each day (less than 30 minutes). So I think you can settle pretty much anywhere in Los Angeles if you would like a little more extracurricular life than some of the small burgs around USC offer (not that South Pasadena or Monterey Hills are bad :)).

El Jefe is totally right. My thing is that I am very lazy, and like waking up at 7:30 AM to make my 8 AM class. But if you don't mind a 30 minute commute, you can live almost anywhere in LA. I know of one guy who lives in Orange County (friggin crazy), but the majority of the students live in South Pas, Monterrey Hills, or Pasadena.

question--- how many out-of-state kids do you have in your class this year, jalby? how many students are there overall in your class?

I donno how many out of staters there are. I would guess 20% of the class. But we have a total of 168 people in the class.

20% sounds good... that's about how many out-of-staters there are in my MDL.

Hey..,is there a housing list anywhere for USC??? I'm going to need a roommate for next year! Looks like I'm going to USC.!!!

hey guys...

i apologize if i am interrupting your "conversation". usc is one of my top choice medical schools and i was wondering, for those of you who have been accepted or have been attending there, what kind of statistics do you have? i don't mean to get personal and sorry if it is offending.

i sincerely would like to get in and i am applying this june (august mcats though:confused: ). i just want to see if i stand a chance. i know that their avg. gpas were like 3.5-3.6. what about mcat scores? i understand that i can always take a look at their averages but it's just helpful to hear from actual individuals who have gone through the process... can anyone help me out?

thanks and take care,

annie

Annie,

It's impossible to say for sure. Behind the crapshoot aspect of medical school admissions lies the ugly truth that numbers get you in the door. Granted, my numbers are not exceptional, 3.5 SGPA and overall GPA, I received an interview out-of-state at USC. My USC secondary was unique because it was written leisurely, honestly, and no-holds-barred truthfully. I say make your secondary stand out and your chances should improve.

I am glad this phoenix thread was pulled out of the burnt embers.

How in god's name do I get off post-interview hold? I want to be a part of the Keck SOM sooo badly.

Sham

Just to duplicate the news:

New Student Reception 2003

From: Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California
Location: Health Sciences Campus Quad 1975 Zonal Ave. - KAM 100C, Los Angeles, CA View Map
When: Friday, April 25, 8:30am
Phone: 323 442 2552

Congratulations on your acceptance to the Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California! We are thrilled to have you consider joining what we believe to be the most dynamic student body in the nation. In honor of your acceptance, we would like to invite you to a New Student Reception. We understand how difficult your decision may be, and hope to make it an easier one by showing you a little more about why USC is so special.

The Reception will be Friday, April 25, 2003 with check-in from 8:30-9:00 a.m. in the quad, which is the central location of the HSC campus. For most students the day will end at 2:30, however there are optional activities that will last until 5:00 p.m. Dress is business-casual.

Some of the day's events will include:
*Time to "shadow" doctors in their clinical settings
*Interaction with current medical students and faculty during lunch
*Student Q & A panels
*Informative speakers
*Optional financial aid consulting
*Optional Diversity Office Open House

You will have the opportunity to interact with Keck School faculty in a clinical setting in the following areas: Anesthesiology, Pathology, Medicine ICU, Radiology, Emergency Medicine, Pediatrics, Ophthalmology, Anesthesia, Otolaryngology, Orthopaedics, Surgery, Urology.

In the comments section below please choose three areas of medicine from the list above that interest you. We will try to match you with one of these areas for faculty shadowing.

We Hope to see you there!

I too received this invitation....

However, I have not yet received a snail mail acceptance notification. I hope the invitation was no mistake.

Originally posted by uclamendoza
BUMP

What exactly do you want to know????