USIMG interview/rejection thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

driverabu

www.riograndband.com
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since we (USIMGs) are in a different world when it comes to residency, especially anesthesia, and especially this year, I thought that this thread would be a little more informative as to how IMGs are faring this interview season. Any USIMGs hearing from programs, good or bad, please let us all know so the rest of us will have an idea of when to be expecting interviews/rejections. As for me, I applied to 81 anesthesia programs, 22 prelim meds and 24 transitionals. So far I have heard back from 4 programs.

Baylor (Dallas) prelim med - negative
Texas tech prelim med in amarillo - negative
UTSW gas - negative
University of Florida gas - received a letter stating that they have received my ERAS application and are waiting for the Dean's letter, etc.

These are the only programs I have heard from so far, the first two didn't even bother to download my LORs..... :mad:

Anyway, it would be nice to hear from the rest of you...good luck to all of you!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also a USIMG (Ross). So far, no invites or no rejections...but my application is still imcomplete. Haven't sent my LOR's yet, Step 2 score pending...w/ average Step 1 scores.

I did receive the generic email from U of F stating they're waiting for completion of my application, etc.

...just PRAYING to slip in somewhere

best wishes everyone...

:cool:

Good thing I wasn't considering Texas, then. I haven't got any replies so far, but will post any updates.
I first e-mailed them and am only considering applying for places that told me they do consider IMGs applications and where there are already IMGs in residency positions. No sense spending my money where I don't have a shadow of a chance, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I received a generic snail mail letter from University of Utah stating that they have received all documents and are reviewing my application.

"Got your app; awaiting LORs/dean's letter/x-script":

UFla
Utah
Mt. Sinai

Come on someone, cough up an interview!!!

Hey ntb8
Couldn't of said it better. I can't wait to get my first offer.
btw, this is a great thread. I hope we all stick to it.

Yay
got the wake acknowledgement letter. Hope I make the 2nd/3rd cuts.

... that explains the whole process where PDs download, what they can download, what it means when the take my CAF and then go back for my scores, blah blah blah???

thanks!!!

Got the Wake letter today...somewhat of a relief, but still have a long way to go! Birmingham baptist hospital declined to interview me for TY. That's about all for today

N2b8 said:
... that explains the whole process where PDs download, what they can download, what it means when the take my CAF and then go back for my scores, blah blah blah???

thanks!!!

If there's such a thread, I'd be interested in knowing where it is as well.

Got an interview for prelim med at UTMB in Galveston today (9/13) and got the generic Sinai letter

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Guys,
I hope you all match at a great program. I am an SGU student that is going to start his third year rotations in Brooklyn. I wanted to start planning my 4th year electives in the NY area. Can any of you guys lead me in the right direction as to what would be some good programs, that are friendly to IMG's, that I can think about doing my 4th year Gas electives in.

And if anyone knows any links to any threads of that can list all the residency programs in the US that are friendly to IMG's that would be great!

Thanks and the best of luck to all!!!

BrasilianMD said:
Hi Guys,
I hope you all match at a great program. I am an SGU student that is going to start his third year rotations in Brooklyn. I wanted to start planning my 4th year electives in the NY area. Can any of you guys lead me in the right direction as to what would be some good programs, that are friendly to IMG's, that I can think about doing my 4th year Gas electives in.

And if anyone knows any links to any threads of that can list all the residency programs in the US that are friendly to IMG's that would be great!

Thanks and the best of luck to all!!!

As far as rotations in NYC, maimomides has a pretty good gas elective, but I would recommend trying to do an away rotation at Mt. Sinai, they have taken Ross students in the past, so I don't see why they wouldn't take SGU students. Lutheran is another good place for electives, but they do not have gas. As far as IMG friendly programs, the best thing to do is to go to the Ross, SGU, AUC, UAG websites and see where students in the past have matched. I'm not aware of any threads regarding that topic though. Good luck!

Got the UNC email stating the same thing sinai and UF does.

driverabu said:
Got the UNC email stating the same thing sinai and UF does.

ditto.

I'm getting a little more nervous. I've noticed that us IMG's aren't getting anywhere near the number of interview offers as the US students. In fact, I have yet to get one. I fully expected this, but I guess reality didn't sink in... turns out reality isn't so suttle and prefers to punch you in the mouth with a set of barbed brass knuckles. Oh well, I just hope I can get something... throw me a bone damnit.

hang in there everybody, although I know it seems like a year away, October is almost here and we should definitely be hearing stuff during that month...good or bad

got an interview for prelim med at UCONN today (9/16). Still waiting for some anesthesia invites!! :cool:

lvspro said:
I've noticed that us IMG's aren't getting anywhere near the number of interview offers as the US students. In fact, I have yet to get one.

relax, dude. it's still way friggin' early. we haven't even met yet to discuss the recruitment "game plan" for this season.

lvspro said:
ditto.

I'm getting a little more nervous. I've noticed that us IMG's aren't getting anywhere near the number of interview offers as the US students. In fact, I have yet to get one.

Um, I'm a US allopathic student, and I have no interviews to speak of yet (anes OR prelim). You guys need to majorly chill. We are all gonna match somewhere. The secretaries from my school's anes program actually told me today that they don't even start sending out invites until the end of the month, so not to worry at all. They volunteered this info to me when I stopped by to drop something off. I'm sure the majority of programs do the same. It takes time to read through applications. You dont want them to just cursorily glance over your numbers to make a decision, do you??

I think the ppl who are getting interviews in these first few weeks are the ones who have extraordinary numbers, which is easily seen right away (can even be picked by a computer), and only at programs that have gotten an earlier start so far. The rest of us need someone to really read our paperwork to make a judgement. That takes time. And as per VolatileAgent (and the secretaries at my school), some progs haven't even started inviting ANYONE.

chicamedica said:
Um, I'm a US allopathic student, and I have no interviews to speak of yet (anes OR prelim). You guys need to majorly chill. We are all gonna match somewhere. The secretaries from my school's anes program actually told me today that they don't even start sending out invites until the end of the month, so not to worry at all. They volunteered this info to me when I stopped by to drop something off. I'm sure the majority of programs do the same. It takes time to read through applications. You dont want them to just cursorily glance over your numbers to make a decision, do you??

I think the ppl who are getting interviews in these first few weeks are the ones who have extraordinary numbers, which is easily seen right away (can even be picked by a computer), and only at programs that have gotten an earlier start so far. The rest of us need someone to really read our paperwork to make a judgement. That takes time. And as per VolatileAgent (and the secretaries at my school), some progs haven't even started inviting ANYONE.

Oh we're chillin' alright, just a little bit of the jitters like everybody else. Got another generic letter from Medical College of Georgia today.

driverabu said:
Oh we're chillin' alright, just a little bit of the jitters like everybody else. Got another generic letter from Medical College of Georgia today.

It's just way too early to have jitters.

driverabu said:

Ditto

I am a USIMG applying to advanced positions in anesthesiology starting in 2007.I am currently a PGY-2 in IM and decided to switch into anesthesiology and I am very happy of my decision.
I have been a silent frequent visitor of this site and I have always found answers to all my questions just by doing a search.But now I think it's reasonable to give something back,at least some info about my responses from programs.
I have applied to a ton of programs,but my application is not complete yet.I have not received any invitation nor interview so far.Just 3 letters of general info from U of FL,Mt. Sinai and John Hopkins.
Good luck to all and I hope that this thread does not die.

Attachments

• dannyT.jpg
    dannyT.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 71
hoyden said:
Hey, guys,

relax. You all will be invited and you'll match, too. Just takes time. Last year wasn't that much different from this - the invites were coming up until mid-December. When I started to apply I was discouraged by many that I shouldn't, because I'm an old graduate, a REAL IMG, not just an USIMG ;)
and anesthesia is too competitive for me, so I should stick to IM( which I hate, BTW). Turned out to be different from grave predictions - I have had more invitations from anesthesia, than from IM :D
Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the advice and vote of confidence. I'm just excited and scared at the same time I guess but it's definitely too early to start flippin' out. I'm just happy to be able and see the light at the end of the tunnel...finally!

Finally got my first anesthesia interview today at University of Rochester!

Some of you have posted that it is way early. Around what date is it considered close to the end or the end? I am just trying to figure it all out before I have to go through the same thing.

Thanks guys

BrasilianMD said:
Some of you have posted that it is way early. Around what date is it considered close to the end or the end? I am just trying to figure it all out before I have to go through the same thing.

Thanks guys

Well, it's still early as far as interviews are concerned. From what I understand, October/November are the times that programs offer the most amount of interviews. Most programs have application deadlines somewhere around the end of November, beginning of December so after this time, programs will offer less and less interviews. Bottom line, get your stuff in as early as possible, especially as an IMG, sit and twiddle your thumbs until about Oct and then interview nov/dec/jan. I hope this answered your ?, if not PM me.

By the way, got the generic letter from Medical College of South Carolina today via email. Still waiting patiently!! :cool:

driverabu said:
Finally got my first anesthesia interview today at University of Rochester!
I guess it is all going to work out. Let us know when you match! :D

Yo IMG's
I am about ready to apply to another 35 programs or so. So far, I've only been granted 1 interview, which is a little less than I thought I'd have by now. Maybe I'm just being a little neurotic, maybe not... either way, I'm starting to get a little worried.

lvspro said:
Yo IMG's
I am about ready to apply to another 35 programs or so. So far, I've only been granted 1 interview, which is a little less than I thought I'd have by now. Maybe I'm just being a little neurotic, maybe not... either way, I'm starting to get a little worried.

What up man-

LOL. I think you're being a little neurotic :laugh: . Most US students I think have gotten anywhere b/w 1-2...and i think those that have gotten >3 are far in the few. I say dont sweat it (aka save $$ too) by holding up until Nov first week or so. From what I hear after our dean's letters go out more action will be appreciated both for US grad, IMGs, DO's whatever.

BTW...man, i'm done w/ that step 2 thing...crossing my fingers bro. Yo, i didnt know that you did muay thai. that's bad ass. I used to spar w/ some of my friends that did that ...I have to admit, it's pretty good $hit.

anyways...
peace

ThinkFast007 said:
What up man-

LOL. I think you're being a little neurotic :laugh: . Most US students I think have gotten anywhere b/w 1-2...and i think those that have gotten >3 are far in the few. I say dont sweat it (aka save $$ too) by holding up until Nov first week or so. From what I hear after our dean's letters go out more action will be appreciated both for US grad, IMGs, DO's whatever.

I agree with Thinkfast. It is definitely too early to start sweating it. I obviously became neurotic early in the game and applied to a whopping number of programs, but I just want to make sure I match somewhere without having to go through that hell of scrambling. If money isn't much of an issue, I say go for it, if it is, wait until the first week of November. I just made the mistake of not applying far and wide for medical school and I refuse to make the same mistake twice regardless if I am being a little (or a lot) neurotic. Good luck and I hope we hear from a few more programs within the next week or two!!

Wassup doodes... doodettes?

Yeah, I'm being a little neurotic. It's totally outta character for me b/c I am the definition of type B. It's just that I wanna match in gas so bad I can taste it... or would that be smell it. Either way, $$ is not an issue for me in this instance. The way I see it, this is a prime example of my favorite phrase "cheaping yourself out of money." If I dont match b/c I didn't apply enuf, I'll be payin for it next yr when I'm reapplying. Anyway, I hope y'all are right about the deans letters being a big deal.

Yo think, muay thai is pretty fun. I wanted to learn a good striking art that gave me plenty of cardio, and it was a toss-up b/w JKD, US kickboxing, kali-eskrima, and MT. Kali got ruled out b/c I don't usually walk around w/kali sticks. JKD was cool, but not enuf cardio n bag work. US KB was tough as hell, but I really found that I like knees n elbows. Also, the clinch is pretty lethal if you can manage it well, so I decided on MT. Besides, after I sat in on a single MT class, I knew I wanted in. I think I really just wanted something that looked like it could cause some real damage. I noticed you said spar, what do you train in?

I find that abusing a punching pag gives me the warm fuzzies :D

U of Illinois, Chicago...got THREE messages from them saying the same thing: "sorry....." Nothing like throwing salt on an open wound.

Anyways, DRIV, LVS, and everybody else...STOP fretting, you guys are sitting nice, you'll get in somewhere.

:thumbup:

veetz said:
U of Illinois, Chicago...got THREE messages from them saying the same thing: "sorry....." Nothing like throwing salt on an open wound.

Anyways, DRIV, LVS, and everybody else...STOP fretting, you guys are sitting nice, you'll get in somewhere.

3!!! How rotten of them. Was it just a resent message, or3 seperate form letters?

also, thanks for the encouragement.

veetz said:

I got the same salt on wound royal treatment with a prelim med program in dallas. they sent me two rejections, just in case I thought they were joking in the first one! Hang in there, we'll hear some good news soon! Thanks for the encouragement!! Good luck!

Hey don't worry, I got the same reject from UIC and I'm from a top 20 US school with good board scores. I shoulda listened to my advisor and should not have even applied there as I hear their program is not very good.

anesth: university of new mexico; wayne state univ/detroit medical ctr

prelim med: drexel

good luck all :)

moo said:
Hey don't worry, I got the same reject from UIC and I'm from a top 20 US school with good board scores. I shoulda listened to my advisor and should not have even applied there as I hear their program is not very good.

Thanks for the encouragment! Best wishes to you...

driverabu said:
I got the same salt on wound royal treatment with a prelim med program in dallas. they sent me two rejections, just in case I thought they were joking in the first one! Hang in there, we'll hear some good news soon! Thanks for the encouragement!! Good luck!

I got rejected from a med prelim post at henry ford in Detroit and I go to a top ten allo school. :laugh:

toughlife said:
I got rejected from a med prelim post at henry ford in Detroit and I go to a top ten allo school. :laugh:

Goes to show that we know absolutely nothing about how these people decide who to invite and who to kick to the curb! :confused:

The first message I get in over a week!! This sucks! :mad:

Dinged by CCF, received a couple prelim med invites.