Virtual Interview Setting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clmed162

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, would it be unprofessional to do a virtual interview in my bedroom? I've heard that interviewers prefer that we don't use virtual backgrounds and that most people use closet doors or a wall. The only view behind me is my bedroom door and a bookcase but it's very clear that I'm in my bedroom.

Members don't see this ad.

You can do your interviews anywhere. But just be prepared to be (unfairly) judged for your choices. The people with a nice placed lamp/plant/decoration always seem to look a little better than people with a blank wall behind them. (some people will use ringlights). Its certainly not fair but when you replace in person interviews with virtual interviews you force the interviewees to judge you on different things than they normally would (the guy with the beat up shoes becomes the guy with the weird wallpaper - just as a random example). Its best to be simple but I would encourage you to set up an aesthetically appealing space. Its honestly crazy how far a few simple things will go.

This is firsthand knowledge regarding the things residents/attendings talked about after virtual residency interviews last season.

It’s fine. Plenty of applicants interview from what is obviously their dorm room. Just make sure the background isn’t distracting—check what posters, etc are visible. Interviewer doesn’t need to see unmade beds, dirty laundry, ashtrays, or your wall of beer cans.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s fine. Plenty of applicants interview from what is obviously their dorm room. Just make sure the background isn’t distracting—check what posters, etc are visible. Interviewer doesn’t need to see unmade beds, dirty laundry, ashtrays, or your wall of beer cans.
This.

Don't overthink it, OP. You are interviewing with another human being capable of assessing and understanding your situation without being told about it. All that is required is that you do your best to have decent lighting and a clean environment. And the real heart of the matter is if you do get some deranged interviewer who wants to ding you for not interviewing from a pristine streaming setup then you honestly don't want to go to that school anyway.

As a personal opinion, I'd rather see a normal background than a virtual background because I've always found the virtual backgrounds imperfect and more distracting. I definitely wouldn't hold it against you either way if I was interviewing you though.

Hello, would it be unprofessional to do a virtual interview in my bedroom? I've heard that interviewers prefer that we don't use virtual backgrounds and that most people use closet doors or a wall. The only view behind me is my bedroom door and a bookcase but it's very clear that I'm in my bedroom.
That's fine