WAMC: 2.9sGPA, 3.5cGPA, URM (please help me - taking any/all advice)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeedHelppppp101

Reaction score
GRADES:
FRESHMAN:
Fall
Calc 1 - W
Gen Chem Lab 1 - A-
Gen Chem 1 - B-

Spring
Calc 1 - A
Intro to Cell - D- (went P/F)
Gen Chem 2 - P

SOPHOMORE:
Fall
Orgo Lab - B-
Orgo - C
Gen Bio Lab - A

Spring
Orgo II - W
Genetics - B-
Orgo Lab 2 - C-

JUNIOR:
Fall
Physics - D-
Molecular Cell - C-
Statistics - A

URM: Black
SES: Eligible for Pell & Work Study
EC: lab work in high school and college,
Extensive advocacy/social justice organizing,
Tech at local clinic
Hospital volunteering: 100+ hours
MCAT: Not yet taken but scoring 500 on practice

What are my options? Please let me know if I need to provide further detail.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you participated in any academic enrichment programs at your school or hosted by other medical programs? You don't have any A's in prerequisite lectures?
No, I haven't done any of those. I only have one A in Statistics.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need at least a C- grade in all your science prerequisites. You should also increase your sGPA to 3.0 in order to avoid being screened out at many schools.

You need at least a C- grade in all your science prerequisites. You should also increase your sGPA to 3.0 in order to avoid being screened out at many schools.
Would you recommend summer courses to boost my GPA?

Would you recommend summer courses to boost my GPA?
Most/All application services will calculate all attempts at classes for the application GPAs, so if you repeat any classes, you must get A's to offset the low grades you earned the first time you took those classes. These GPAs are reported for comparison purposes on their website and any school compilation of data.

Most/All application services will calculate all attempts at classes for the application GPAs, so if you repeat any classes, you must get A's to offset the low grades you earned the first time you took those classes. These GPAs are reported for comparison purposes on their website and any school compilation of data.
Could I take other STEM classes over the summer to pad my GPA or is that obvious to Adcoms? At this point, do you recommend considering a post-bacc?

Could I take other STEM classes over the summer to pad my GPA or is that obvious to Adcoms? At this point, do you recommend considering a post-bacc?
I don't think it matters if you take over the summer or a postbac. Your goal is to get that undergrad and science GPA up.

By the way, I don't see any non-science classes among those you listed. What non-STEM courses have you taken?

Last edited:
I don't think it matters if you take over the summer or a postbac. Your goal is to get that undergrad and science GPA up.

By the way, I don't see any non-science classes among those you list. What have you taken outside STEM courses?
I have about three semesters left to raise my GPA, because I plan to apply senior year and take a gap. I was going to take summer courses at a local HBCU, because my current undergrad is too expensive. Would that look like obvious padding? The HBCU in question is well known for their premed program, even moreso than my current school.

My non-science cGPA is 4.0. I have taken mostly English and African Studies courses. I am Cell Bio/English/Africana Studies triple major.

I have about three semesters left to raise my GPA, because I plan to apply senior year and take a gap. I was going to take summer courses at a local HBCU, because my current undergrad is too expensive. Would that look like obvious padding? The HBCU in question is well known for their premed program, even moreso than my current school.

My non-science cGPA is 4.0. I have taken mostly English and African Studies courses. I am Cell Bio/English/Africana Studies triple major.
You self-disclosed as a URM and SED. I don't think the schools you want to attend will care.

Is it possible for me to do a DIY Post-Bacc and still apply MD or would I have to apply DO? And are there any target schools I should tailor my app towards?

I think the first step would be to do well in your classes going forward and retake your pre-reqs through a DIY post-bacc during the summer.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the first step would be to do well in your classes going forward and retake your pre-reqs through a DIY post-bacc during the summer.
Which pre-reqs do you recommend I retake?

Also have you connected with SNMA or any other mentoring organizations for Black premeds?
No, I haven't but I plan to reach out to MAPs next semester which I think is the undergrad version of SMNA.

__
Just to give more context to my GPA -- I have been working since high school and mainly supporting myself through school. I currently have 3 on-campus jobs (all advocacy-based) and my lab position is paid through a grant. I am a very spikey applicant with most of my ECs towards at-risk communities and sexual assault survivors. I'm still struggling to raise my sGPA above a 3.0, but my MCAT practices have been around 512-515 currently, and I plan to actually take it in the spring of next year. I am looking to apply to schools without GPA screening, but I am wondering if SES + URM + MCAT + community work is enough to offset such a low sGPA. I also completely understand that my GPA is low because of all my jobs, but that's currently the only way I can support myself right now.

Last edited:
The pre-reqs you had lower than a C as Faha had said earlier. So, O-chem II, its lab, physics I & II with the corresponding labs, a year of bio.

I get a sense reading thru this that science is viewed as a “prerequisite “….. a “requirement “ rather than something you have a deep interest in and curiosity about. The cold facts are you had better enjoy it and do real well in it now.
You DO NOT want to have to learn biochem, micro, cell bio, etc. in med school. There, it comes out of a firehose. In undergrad it comes out of a gentle spring.

Reactions: 1 users
The pre-reqs you had lower than a C as Faha had said earlier. So, O-chem II, its lab, physics I & II with the corresponding labs, a year of bio.
I get a sense reading thru this that science is viewed as a “prerequisite “….. a “requirement “ rather than something you have a deep interest in and curiosity about. The cold facts are you had better enjoy it and do real well in it now.
You DO NOT want to have to learn biochem, micro, cell bio, etc. in med school. There, it comes out of a firehose. In undergrad it comes out of a gentle spring.
Would you all recommend that I re-take them this summer or take them after graduation? And in light of COVID, does it still look bad to take pre-reqs online?

Would you all recommend that I re-take them this summer or take them after graduation? And in light of COVID, does it still look bad to take pre-reqs online?
It’s quite a few classes. Considering your circumstances, it would be best to do them after graduation most likely. How are you doing this semester?

Part of your question is directed to my post. I don’t have a current enough knowledge base to address that.

The information provided is limited, and it seems you (original poster/OP) are very concerned about requirements. You say you have 3 more terms not including summers to take the classes. You list only prerequisite classes so we don't know what else you took to help you with your graduating with a degree. We don't know what school you attend, but you may have a prehealth advising office or some academic advising office that has listed the prerequisite and recommended classes you need; if you have an on-campus MAPS club, they would definitely know and tell you this.

Many of us want to help, but we can't help without having more complete information and an idea that you are willing to move forward beyond your fears of not taking prerequisites before you are done with school. You haven't listed psych/sociology prerequisites for example, which you would need for the MCAT. [EDIT: You said you were a Cell Bio/English/African Studies major.] So we are missing key information and thus we're not sure if you are going to take the MCAT too early and thus wind up undermining yourself by having a posted low score for your application (that will stay on your records "forever" whether or not they are considered for admission [past their valid period]).

If you are uncomfortable, feel free to ask your questions on that front in the confidential forums (Ask the experts). You are working very hard, and your success needs to be centered on balancing all of those priorities in a way that keeps your GPA as high as possible and graduate. Applying to medical school is ALWAYS secondary to this goal, in spite of what your peers think. Many of us know how hard it is with working 3 on-campus jobs and having to be frugal while in school (it won't change in medical school where you will be required to work LESS to succeed in courses). This is also where the mentoring connections come in and are critical to success.

You have expressed strong passion for social justice causes it appears, so I expect similar activities along that front, as well as any clinical shadowing/volunteering likely connected with your chosen cause. With working so much, do you feel like you have enough hours?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users