MD & DO WAMC 503 c3.59/s s3.5 school list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moldyvort

Reaction score
Hi, I am finishing up my application for the 24-25 cycle and wanted to run my school list through SDN. I'm taking the MCAT again on June 15th to improve my score because I was sick when I took it the first time, hence my poor result. I'm projected to score around 510-513 range this time around. I'm still kind of concerned about my lower GPA and having to take the MCAT again. Below are my stats and my current school list. Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated!

Major: Biochemistry (Honors degree if it matters)
cGPA: 3.59
sGPA: 3.50
MCAT: 503 (125/126/127/125)
State of Residence: NJ
Ethnicity: South Asian
Undergrad: large public university

Clinical Experience: ~650 hours of paid experience as a patient care tech in surgical oncology

Research Experience and Productivity: ~100 hours in a infectious disease lab (no posters or pubs), ~100 hours on a telemedicine project (1st author, pub in progress)

Shadowing experience: ~70 hours (mostly critical care medicine and infectious disease)

Non-clinical volunteering: ~90 hours at variety of hypertension clinics and cardiovascular fundraiser created by my club

Other extracurriculars: President of a club that I founded based on preventative cardiology, and held multiple events, screenings and fundraisers with local hospitals in the area. (This was my "passion project")

Right now I'm worried my below average gpa and subpar MCAT although I'm planning on retaking. Should I be aiming for a postbac or masters degree to boost my gpa? Any advice is appreciated!

School List:
Medical College of Wisconsin
Central Michigan COM
Loyola SOM
Vermont Larner SOM
Vtech SOM
Albany Medical College
NEOMED
Michigan State
UConn (with higher MCAT)
George Washington (with higher MCAT)
Rush (with higher MCAT)
University of Buffalo
Temple
Illinois
Quinnipiac
Midwestern DO
NECOM
LECOM
Rowan DO
MSUCOM
PCOM
Edward COM

Members don't see this ad.

If you improve by at least 10 points (513) on your most recent attempt, I'm sure we can make more suggestions. What I can say:

1) Non-clinical community service hours: I see you do a lot of public awareness of heart disease (guessing BP/A1C checks and HDL/LDL screens?). Do you have any experiences where you are serving social needs of the community directly: job/tax preparation, food distribution, shelter volunteer, transportation services, housing rehabilitation? You need hundreds if not thousands of hours for a shot at Rush or Loyola.

2) You have a campus leadership role with your organization, but what other campus organizations were you involved with?

If you improve by at least 10 points (513) on your most recent attempt, I'm sure we can make more suggestions. What I can say:

1) Non-clinical community service hours: I see you do a lot of public awareness of heart disease (guessing BP/A1C checks and HDL/LDL screens?). Do you have any experiences where you are serving social needs of the community directly: job/tax preparation, food distribution, shelter volunteer, transportation services, housing rehabilitation? You need hundreds if not thousands of hours for a shot at Rush or Loyola.

2) You have a campus leadership role with your organization, but what other campus organizations were you involved with?
Thanks for your help!

1) I didn't know about Rush or Loyolas requirements, so thanks for that. I have minimal hours in serving social needs of the community through homeless shelter and food distribution volunteering (not over 25 hrs).

2) Other on campus organizations I were involved with were the American Medical Student Association chapter at our school, along with a meditation club. Should I still list them as part of my application if I don't have much to say about them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Think about removing Illinois. Their OOS tuition is crazy expensive.
Are you going to wait to apply until you get your new MCAT score back? Schools are under no obligation to wait for a new score even when you tell them you are retaking.
Good luck.

Think about removing Illinois. Their OOS tuition is crazy expensive.
Are you going to wait to apply until you get your new MCAT score back? Schools are under no obligation to wait for a new score even when you tell them you are retaking.
Good luck.
I was going to apply as normal anyway, and then ideally my score would be submitted by the time they recieve my secondary and start reviewing my application. Based on my MCAT score, I would then add additional schools I am in range for. Do you think I should wait to apply?

Not really but I wouldn’t send applications to schools you are basing a higher MCAT score on. If you manage to increase your score, you can always add schools.
Good luck on your test.

Other on campus organizations I were involved with were the American Medical Student Association chapter at our school, along with a meditation club. Should I still list them as part of my application if I don't have much to say about them?
Can I ask what your involvement was in both clubs then?