WAMC and school list - (3.71/516) - CA ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hummingsd

Reaction score
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    1. cGPA: 3.71 sGPA: 3.53
    2. Strong upward trend: (3.2, 3.47, 3.80, 3.93)
      1. Both parents got sick my freshman year- had to travel home frequently to help with their medical appointments
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown. Include all (non-voided) attempts.
    1. 516 (128/127/130/131)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    1. California (ORM)
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    1. Asian (F)
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    1. Top CA school
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. Clinic volunteer for underserved populations (100 hours)
    2. Hospice volunteer (150+ hours)-current
    3. Medical assistant-paid (400 hours)
    4. Hospital volunteer (45 hrs)
    5. Telehealth Volunteer (100+ hrs)
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. 1000+ hours clinical research- started my own independent project, wrote an abstract (1st author), will be presenting 2 posters at a conference, will be listed as an author on the paper-current
    2. Published lit review
    3. 500+ hours psychology research assistant- will be listed as author on paper
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. 40hrs- neurology clinic in an underserved area
    2. 25hrs- neonatology
    3. 30hrs- family medicine (both in rural and urban areas)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. 100+ hrs Crocheted blankets for foster children -current
    2. 500hrs serving food at the community kitchen for my religious group-current
    3. 100hrs mentored/tutored students of underserved areas
    4. 200hrs sewing masks for donation during covid
  10. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Deans honor list
  11. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. First gen student, grew up translating for my family during medical visits, lived in an underserved area growing up
Current school list:
All the UC (except UCR)
USC
Loma Linda
California University of Science and Medicine
Kaiser
Albany Medical College
Rosalind Franklin
Quinnipiac University
Emory
Georgetown
University of Colorado
University of Arizona-Phoenix
Eastern Virginia
Virginia CommonWealth
George Washington
Drexel
Tulane
Dartmouth
Wake Forest
Case Western
Creighton University
Geisinger Commonwealth
Loyola
New York Medical College
Virginia Tech
Oregon Health and Science

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I like your list but I have to ask you why you included:
Albany
Quinnipiac
Colorado
Arizona-Phoenix
EVMS
NYMC
Virginia Tech Carillion
Oregon HSU
Hi! thank you for your reply.
I added Albany, NYMC, Colorado, Arizona-Phoniex, and Oregon HSU because I have family in those states. Also I went based on if they were OOS friendly and if my stats fall into their range. Would you recommend me removing those schools? Is there another factor I might be missing with those school? As for the other schools, I tried to add schools based on my stats, as a California applicant, I wanted to maximize the schools I apply to just in case.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! thank you for your reply.
I added Albany, NYMC, Colorado, Arizona-Phoniex, and Oregon HSU because I have family in those states. Also I went based on if they were OOS friendly and if my stats fall into their range. Would you recommend me removing those schools? Is there another factor I might be missing with those school? As for the other schools, I tried to add schools based on my stats, as a California applicant, I wanted to maximize the schools I apply to just in case.
Can you list in order the locations you prefer from this list? In what way do you feel family in each location will support you? The locations are very different.

Can you list in order the locations you prefer from this list? In what way do you feel family in each location will support you? The locations are very different.
Arizona, Oregon , Colorado, New York. I am from California, so Arizona and Oregon would be ideal due to their proximity. Being near family would be a bonus, because I would have a support system from them. I am curious, is there a reason why I should not be applying to these schools?

Arizona, Oregon , Colorado, New York. I am from California, so Arizona and Oregon would be ideal due to their proximity. Being near family would be a bonus, because I would have a support system from them. I am curious, is there a reason why I should not be applying to these schools?
Check the curriculum and the clinical opportunities. I don't know where in California you grew up, but both states will focus on communities that represent their states. Also, in what way do you feel their support is necessary for your success? What would you ask students at those schools about the support they have had from their programs and their families who presumably live close?

AFAIK, having family in Oregon (unless it is a parent) is generally not enough to be considered "Oregon heritage" per OHSU definitions and therefore makes admission difficult. Arizona Phoenix is also not terribly OOS friendly unless you have strong ties. Virginia Tech is another school where your ties will matter. Otherwise, the rest of your application is strong so long as you have good writing, LORs, and submit early (once you've bombproofed your app of course)

Reactions: 1 user
AFAIK, having family in Oregon (unless it is a parent) is generally not enough to be considered "Oregon heritage" per OHSU definitions and therefore makes admission difficult. Arizona Phoenix is also not terribly OOS friendly unless you have strong ties. Virginia Tech is another school where your ties will matter. Otherwise, the rest of your application is strong so long as you have good writing, LORs, and submit early (once you've bombproofed your app of course)
Oh I see, thanks for letting me know! Do you have any advice for other schools I should add?

Check the curriculum and the clinical opportunities. I don't know where in California you grew up, but both states will focus on communities that represent their states. Also, in what way do you feel their support is necessary for your success? What would you ask students at those schools about the support they have had from their programs and their families who presumably live close?

Thank you for the information! I will take that into consideration. Do you think I should apply to any more schools? If so, what would be some good additions?

Thank you for the information! I will take that into consideration. Do you think I should apply to any more schools? If so, what would be some good additions?
If you cannot devote 1 day per secondary this application cycle, you need to shorten your list. 30 days to complete all your secondaries (in the month of July) is my general suggestion, so no more than 30 schools. I already told you I liked your list otherwise.

Reactions: 1 user