WAMC Help me with my school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jane_Jane

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am pretty clueless about all this. I spent the past two days doing a deep dive over almost every OOS schools (since I am applying to all Texas schools) and came up with this list. I know my research is too minimal but I wanted to at least shoot my shot at some high tiers. I tried to limit the low yield schools but I'm not too sure about the rest. Would really appreciate any advice!

Stats: cGPA: 3.83 sGPA: 3.77. State: Texas. MCAT: 514 Non-URM

Clinical hours: 3400+ (this includes both volunteering and employment such as CNA, CMA, scribe)

Non-clinical volunteering: 700 (80 hospitals, 300 premed club, 40 tutoring, 30 animal shelters, 120 nursing homes, 100 disability service)

Non-clinical employment: 380 (tutoring, mentorship)

Research: 400+ (no pub, only an article and a brief acknowledgement in a paper, not even worth mentioning tbh)

Shadowing: 200 (multiple specialties)

EC: 1200+ combat medic in Army, 3000+ artist (done a few projects here and there), 1000+ comic editor/translator (posted on my own personal blog), 1400+ piano (only a hobby no merit)

UCSF
Mayo
Mt Sinai
Pitt
Northwestern
UCLA
Emory
Ohio state
Rochester
Cincinnati
Iowa
Wake Forest
Albert Eistein
Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth
Hackensack Meridian
Saint Louis
Kaiser
Creighton
EVMS
ETSU
Quinnipac
Western Michigan
Central Michigan
Oakland
MC of Wisconsin
GW
Temple
Sidney Kimmel
Tufts
Georgetown

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply to all your Texas TMDSAS MD schools and you should receive several interviews. OOS MD schools interview few Texas applicants since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school. For AMCAS schools you could try TCU, Tulane and Belmont.

Thank you for serving our country!

Can you break up your non-clinical volunteer hours into more specific buckets with responsibilities) (i.e. how many tutoring, etc.)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Of the schools on your list, I have seen Texans get some interviews at Georgetown, George Washington, VCU, Vermont, & Creighton.
Maybe include MCW and Oakland.
Add TCU in Texas (they use AMCAS).
Most of the other reach schools on your list have astronomical MCAT medians or emphasize research.
Your military service and combat medic experience will make you stand out from the crowd.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for serving our country!

Can you break up your non-clinical volunteer hours into more specific buckets with responsibilities) (i.e. how many tutoring, etc.)
Thank you :)

I just edited my post as well.

Of the schools on your list, I have seen Texans get some interviews at Georgetown, George Washington, VCU, Vermont, & Creighton.
Maybe include MCW and Oakland.
Add TCU in Texas (they use AMCAS).
Most of the other reach schools on your list have astronomical MCAT medians or emphasize research.
Your military service and combat medic experience will make you stand out from the crowd.
I thought about adding TCU but was a bit reluctant because it’s a Christian school. I wasn’t sure if there were certain rules that came with it.

Thank you for the suggestion. I was wondering whether I should cut down those reach schools because I might just donating to them just to get entirely screened out. I wasn’t sure how much my military service would’ve helped me.

Apply to all your Texas TMDSAS MD schools and you should receive several interviews. OOS MD schools interview few Texas applicants since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school. For AMCAS schools you could try TCU, Tulane and Belmont.
I’m not exactly dead set on going to Texas schools tbh. Anywhere is fine as long as I’m accepted. I did avoid TCU and Belmont because of the religious theme but I didn’t do enough research to see whether that would’ve been a big deal.

I thought about adding TCU but was a bit reluctant because it’s a Christian school. I wasn’t sure if there were certain rules that came with it.

Thank you for the suggestion. I was wondering whether I should cut down those reach schools because I might just donating to them just to get entirely screened out. I wasn’t sure how much my military service would’ve helped me.
There aren't a lot of requirements going along with faith at this particular school, beyond being an ethical human being.
For TCU it's more a question of whether you like their emphasis on empathy and communication skills, with early mentorship from doctors in the community. They have no in-state/OOS preference.

There aren't a lot of requirements going along with faith at this particular school, beyond being an ethical human being.
For TCU it's more a question of whether you like their emphasis on empathy and communication skills, with early mentorship from doctors in the community. They have no in-state/OOS preference.
Ah gotcha. That’s good to hear. I will add them to my list :)

Reactions: 1 user
First, thank you for your service. A lot of schools value that experience, so do your homework among schools you want to attend. Texas schools are also very military friendly for obvious reasons.

First, thank you for your service. A lot of schools value that experience, so do your homework among schools you want to attend. Texas schools are also very military friendly for obvious reasons.
I looked into many schools but many of the ones that fit me the most often valued research a lot which I do not have. I dont know whether I should just shoot my shot and hope for the best or just avoid them to save my losses.

I looked into many schools but many of the ones that fit me the most often valued research a lot which I do not have. I dont know whether I should just shoot my shot and hope for the best or just avoid them to save my losses.
I think you can look for some programs whose curricular offerings or culture may better appreciate your experiences. Everyone should appreciate your time as a medic, and you've picked the ones I would suggest (ETSU, EVMS, RFUMS maybe since they are located next to a VA hospital).

Given your artistic bent, you should also check your list for programs that offer an emphasis in "medical humanities".

I do think you have a strong case as a Texas in-state applicant regardless, so I'm not sure having a huge AMCAS non-Texas list will help you. Check with students at schools where you want to attend.

I think you can look for some programs whose curricular offerings or culture may better appreciate your experiences. Everyone should appreciate your time as a medic, and you've picked the ones I would suggest (ETSU, EVMS, RFUMS maybe since they are located next to a VA hospital).

Given your artistic bent, you should also check your list for programs that offer an emphasis in "medical humanities".

I do think you have a strong case as a Texas in-state applicant regardless, so I'm not sure having a huge AMCAS non-Texas list will help you. Check with students at schools where you want to attend.
I didn't think about the medical humanity aspect. Thank you for suggesting that. I will look into it more.