WAMC, low stat, Non-Trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroWizard

Reaction score
I'm a non-traditional applicant to medical school, I went to ug wanting to combine bio with math with physics bc those were the only subjects I liked, and I ended up getting a degree in biophysics (3.1), then since I wanted more practical jobs, I went and did my MS in Biomedical Engineering with focus on Neuroengineering from a T10 school. During my Master's I was so consumed by research, that I slacked on classes and ended with a 3.0. At the time though, I was fine with it since I was planning on doing a PhD, had two offers, but then those fell through because of funding issues with the labs. Since then, I decided to take a break bc I was really burnt out.

I had this realization that the kind of job I was looking for was just being a doctor, and being able to use new tech to treat patients. And so am serious about this. I took the MCAT twice, got a 500 both times, and am now gearing up for attempt 3 (bp practice tests are showing 512). I'm 4 years out of undergrad, but if I look back, at my resume and what I've done to get perspective on what kind of research i wanted to do, I realized that without being a premed in undergrad, i have 3000 hours of research (1 pre-pub, 1 presentation), 175 hours of clinical volunteering, 100 hours volunteering at a senior home, 160 hours of shadowing (oncology, neurology, hospitalist, radiology, surgery). The clinical volunteering, and shadowing I did was so that I could get a perspective on what translatable/practical topics within BME I wanted to do research in.

I have a bunch of family members that are physicians and am well aware of the grueling work that goes into it. I'm just feeling extremely anxious about whether to apply to MD/DO or just go get a job. I know I have very weak chances given my stats, and I know that the personal statement doesn't really help with admission/interview chances, is it even worth applying? I'd appreciate any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your state of residence ? You could receive interviews at some DO schools with your stats.
I'm in New Jersey, but I want to apply to schools in New York, California, and Wisconsin as well. Are DO Schools more favorable to in-state applicants? Also, I'm guessing that with these stats MD is out of the picture right?

Last edited:
I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
RowanCOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
DUQCOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
LUCOM
LMU-DCOM (all schools)
ACOM
WCU-COM
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
UIWSOM
BCOM (both schools)
KHSC-COM
Noorda-COM
TUNCOM
RVU-Montana
Touro-Montana
ICOM
BUCOM
OCOM
MU-COM
D'Youville (if it opens)
Meritus (if it opens)
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.