MD WAMC/Recommended Schools (3.80/517) URM IN Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreDeltaMed

Reaction score
Hello, I am applying this cycle, and I’m looking for advice on what schools to apply to. I want to apply to 25 max. Please let me know if there’s schools on this list that I wouldn’t be a good fit for, or if I’m missing another school that would be helpful to add to my list! All advice is appreciated!

Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.80
sGPA: 3.74
MCAT: 517 (132/126/128/131)
WARS Score: 85-87
Lizzy M Score: 73
GPA Trend: 3.78->3.67->3.80 (U trend=upward trend?)
State of Residence: IN
Ethnicity: Black
Undergrad: T20, private Texas school (you know the one!), currently a junior

Clinical Experience
~230 hours as a Volunteer in ER and TSICU departments of TX hospital
-71 hours volunteering at IN hospital, wheel chairing patients from PACU to their families outside to be taken home and wheel chairing patients to/from physicians offices and X-ray station

Research Experience
~470 hours (2 yrs), biochemistry research, no pubs or posters atm

Shadowing experience
100 hours split about evenly between optho, dermo, and ortho

Non-clinical volunteering
~135 hours (1 1/2 years) volunteering program where we teach underserved elementary, middle, and high school kids from different schools in the community neuroscience topics
~56 hours (so far) volunteering a student mentor for PSYC classes in my residential hall (university program)
~56 hours (so far, volunteer program is newly founded at my school) volunteering and visiting a senior in a independent senior living community to form intergenerational friendships and combat loneliness.

Leadership

~112 hours total (For now) Serve on e-board for two different student-led global health groups.
-In one group I help organize virtual and in person conferences that discuss various global health topics
-In the other group I help raise awareness on global health issues by planning and executing various fundraisers

~45 hours (For now) Serve on founding e-board for my college chapter of a volunteer organization, purpose is to link college students with seniors to form intergenerational friendships. (Am currently volunteering in the same program, referenced above)

~60 hours: Served in religious organization committee that mentored and discussed with freshmen sharing my religion about various religious topics.

Residential Hall Involvement

~60 hours: Served as floor representative for my residential hall; discussed and voted on events happening around and with the residential hall

~60 hours: Served as one of the laundry representatives for my residential hall; ensured that the washing and drying machines my residential hall were in working order by communicating with the housing and dining department

Personal Hobbies/Leadership

~60 hours: Served as the secretary for my colleges table tennis club (am an active member), planned and executed meetings for recreational and competitive players

~60 hours (For now): Serve as an e-board member for my university’s Super Smash Bros club (am an active member), planned and executed a variety of special events and tournaments for the club

~60 hours (For now, will serve as club president next year): Serve as an e-board member for my university’s Anime club (am an active member), planned and executed a variety of special events for the club, including anime group watches and club outings

School List So Far (Maybe too top heavy) (Tried to chose some OOS friendly schools) (Going from low to high tier)
MSU
University of Vermont
University of Iowa
Dartmouth
Indiana University (State School)
University of Cincinnati
University of Rochester
University of Virginia
Ohio State University
Colorado
Case Western Reserve
Emory University
UChicago (Pritzker)
University of Pittsburgh
University of Michigan
Mayo Clinic
Yale School of Medicine
Weill Cornell Medicine
WashU St. Louis
Vanderbilt University
Columbia University
Harvard (Dream School!)

Please be honest with your advice! Thank you so much for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Also I got President's Honor Roll last semester, and mostly will get it again this semester in case it means anything.

Thanks for reading and all the advice you will give in advance!

Also I got President's Honor Roll last semester, and mostly will get it again this semester in case it means anything.

Thanks for reading and all the advice you will give in advance!

Most-likely* (I apologize)

Members don't see this ad :)
Final Update: LOR
1 Committee Letter Packet from university containing
-2 from Biology Teachers
-1 from Spanish Teacher
-1 from research mentor/PI
-1 from dermo physician
-1 from optho physician

I suggest these schools from your list:
Dartmouth
University of Cincinnati
University of Rochester
University of Virginia
Ohio State University
Colorado
Case Western Reserve
Emory University
UChicago (Pritzker)
University of Pittsburgh
University of Michigan
Mayo Clinic
Yale School of Medicine
Weill Cornell Medicine
WashU St. Louis
Vanderbilt University
Columbia University
Harvard (Dream School!)
You could add any of these schools"
Northwestern
Miami
Georgetown
Einstein (free tuition)
NYU (free tuition)
Boston University
Brown

I suggest these schools from your list:
Dartmouth
University of Cincinnati
University of Rochester
University of Virginia
Ohio State University
Colorado
Case Western Reserve
Emory University
UChicago (Pritzker)
University of Pittsburgh
University of Michigan
Mayo Clinic
Yale School of Medicine
Weill Cornell Medicine
WashU St. Louis
Vanderbilt University
Columbia University
Harvard (Dream School!)
You could add any of these schools"
Northwestern
Miami
Georgetown
Einstein (free tuition)
NYU (free tuition)
Boston University
Brown

Thanks for the advice! I noticed that you just removed the low tier schools that were before IU. Do you think it’s a bad idea for me to apply to these schools? I wanted to ensure that I don’t apply too top heavy. Do you think I will be yield protected from these schools?

Thanks for the advice! I noticed that you just removed the low tier schools that were before IU. Do you think it’s a bad idea for me to apply to these schools? I wanted to ensure that I don’t apply too top heavy. Do you think I will be yield protected from these schools?
You can include those schools but 25 schools is enough with your stats.

Reactions: 1 user
Did your advisors give you feedback on your school list? Have you connected with mentoring organizations dedicated to helping Black aspiring physicians, such as SNMA?

No, unfortunately I have not been able to find the advisor resources for my school. I’ve never heard of SNNA before. How does that program work?

SNMA. Call up the chapter president at a few of the schools you have on the list or head across town to meet with some members.

You're in Texas. Apply to the top schools there unless you can't stand it. Unless you have a tie to Colorado I'd drop it. Go for Penn for sure and the free tuition schools in NY plus maybe Stanford, USC, UCSF and UCLA.

Great resume. Are you my long lost cousin? SSB and anime. Hope you get some II questions about that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user