WAMC/School List Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Would appreciate advice on creating a school lists for the 24-25 cycle.

Ethnicity/State of Resident
Nontraditional, black female, URM
US citizen and NY resident

GPA
Undergrad sGPA 3.23, post bacc sGPA 3.6 and cGPA 3.38

MCAT
498 (122/124/123/129)

Undergraduate institution
Private: Ivy league

Non- clinical volunteering:
5000+ hours: beach clean ups, soup kitchen, diabetes walks, AIDS walk, feeding America food distribution, guardian ad litem volunteer, volunteer crisis counselor at crisis text line, Partners In Health Engage

Clinical experience
3500+ hours as a volunteer Optometric Assistant
2080+ hours as an Office Manager of a women’s mental health clinic
250+ hours personal assistant and medical chaperone for a plastic surgeon

Research experience
30+ hours Research Assistant in plant disease. Cut short due to COVID pandemic.

Shadowing
110+ hours, plastic surgeon, internal medicine, and multiple infectious disease doctors

Leadership
+1000 hours as a Community Volunteer Project Leader, NAACP Community Outreach Chair, Vice President of Service of Phi Theta Kappa Honors Society, President of Pre-Med Club

Gap year activities
Worked in underserved communities at Americore Health, a women’s mental health clinic, Partners In Health, Assistant Clerk at an elections poll site

Relevant honors or awards
Pre-Med Club: Outstanding Member of the Year Award
Community Project Leader: Volunteer of the Year Award
Phi Theta Kappa: Community Service Award

Anything else
Former undocumented immigrant, worked throughout my entire undergrad, received Pell grants, currently work with underserved communities, and will continue to do so especially with undocumented immigrant communities.

Target Schools
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Charles Drew
SUNY Downstate

Members don't see this ad.

You could add these MD schools to your application:
Albany
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Buffalo
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Belmont
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Also apply broadly to DO schools and I suggest these:
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
MU-COM
KCU-COM
UIWSOM
ACOM
NYIT-AR
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all schools)
BUCOM
DUQCOM
OCOM

Reactions: 1 user
Disclaimer. I am just a current applicant and not an admissions expert by any means so my opinions could most definitely be wrong.

However, as they stand currently, I think your C/P and B/B scores of 122 and 123, respectively, may put you at risk of being screened out, as they are well below the 10th percentiles for every MD school.

That said, if you can improve to at least 125 on those sections in a retake, with your outstanding story and EC's, I think you would instantly become much more competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could add these MD schools to your application:
Albany
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Buffalo
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Belmont
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Also apply broadly to DO schools and I suggest these:
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
MU-COM
KCU-COM
UIWSOM
ACOM
NYIT-AR
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all schools)
BUCOM
DUQCOM
OCOM
Thank you. Appreciate this list.

Disclaimer. I am just a current applicant and not an admissions expert by any means so my opinions could most definitely be wrong.

However, as they stand currently, I think your C/P and B/B scores of 122 and 123, respectively, may put you at risk of being screened out, as they are well below the 10th percentiles for every MD school.

That said, if you can improve to at least 125 on those sections in a retake, with your outstanding story and EC's, I think you would instantly become much more competitive.
Thank you for your advice. It's been quite difficult working while studying for the MCAT. I know I can improve but I would have to quit my job to improve those scores. I currently don't have that option.