WAMC/school list help for 3.96/510 MI ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolverine2023

Reaction score
  1. cGPA: 3.92 sGPA: 3.96
  2. 510
  3. Michigan
  4. Indian
  5. Undergrad: University of Michigan
  6. Clinical Experience: Patient Care Attendant: 295 hours, Children's Hospital Tutor: 115 hours, Hospital Volunteer: 25 hours (435 total)
  7. 2 Research Assistant experiences: 555 hours, 1 poster
  8. 85 hours shadowing, family medicine and physiatry - pain management: 85 hours
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 255 Hours Wheelchair Sports Volunteer, 65 Hours Homeless Shelter, 75 Hours Blood Drive (395 total)
  10. Leadership: Established Blood Drive Club, Dance Choreographer, Student Mentor: 540 hours combined
  11. Honor Roll multiple semesters
  12. SES Disadvantaged
School List (M.D.):

Michigan

Wayne
Oakland
Michigan
Michigan State
Western
Central

Outside

Albany Medical College
Rosalind
Cooper Medical School
Creighton
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
FAU
FIU
George Washington
Georgetown
Geisinger
Hackensack
IU
Loyola
Loma Linda
LSU
Medical College of Wisconsin
Missouri Kansas City
Nova MD
NEOMED
OSU
Penn State
Quinnipiac
Rush
Rutgers
SLU
Temple
TCU
Tulane
UCF
UCONN
UF
UMiami
UNC
USC Columbia and Greenville
U Toledo
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Illinois

D.O
Touro
PCOM
MSUCOM
Midwestern Chicago
NYIT

I would say my EC's hopefully make up for my low stats. I have a pretty well balanced E.C Load: 300-500 hours in each major category however not one really dominates so idk if thats a good thing.

Members don't see this ad.

I hate to break it to you but your 510 is not going to help you in the UM pool, but I don't know what other connections you might have. Your high GPA should help you otherwise, especially with your other in-state options.

Why so many hours with wheelchair sports?

What is your passion for medicine? I am unable to read between the lines in your WAMC...

Yeah I don't really have any high hopes for UM. Only real connection is it's my undergraduate school. Not sure specifically but I got really involved in wheelchair sports last summer as I grew up playing tennis and that was one of the sports they used for volunteering. Kept up with it throughout the school year and into my gap year. 255 isn't really that much though right?

Members don't see this ad :)
While you're 510 is a solid score, you have included a number of state schools in your list that will likely filter you out due to your 510 and the fact that you're out of state. For example, unless you have very strong ties, I would recommend removing UNC and USC-Columbia from your list, for sure. If you look at the most recent MSAR data, UNC didn't accept a single OOS applicant with less than a 514 (the median is 518). You'd be wasting your money (and time spent filling out a secondary) applying there, imo. Your score is right on the median score for accepted OOS applicants; however, they heavily emphasize close ties to the state of SC, so if you don't have those, you're not likely to get an interview. Ignoring all of that, looking at your stats and experiences, I think you're a competitive applicant at a lot of the schools on your list. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
You have several OOS schools that accept few non-residents without strong connections to their state. Georgetown expects more clinical experience and successful Rush applicants usually have close to 1000 non-clinical volunteering hours.

I suggest:

Wayne
Oakland
Michigan State
Western Michigan
Central Michigan
Albany Medical College
NYMC
Rosalind
Loyola
Creighton
Drexel
Temple
Eastern Virginia
VCU
George Washington
Hackensack
Nova MD
Penn State
Quinnipiac
SLU
TCU
Tulane
Wake Forest
Vermont
Tufts

Your DO list is fine.

You have several OOS schools that accept few non-residents without strong connections to their state. Georgetown expects more clinical experience and successful Rush applicants usually have close to 1000 non-clinical volunteering hours.

I suggest:

Wayne
Oakland
Michigan State
Western Michigan
Central Michigan
Albany Medical College
NYMC
Rosalind
Loyola
Creighton
Drexel
Temple
Eastern Virginia
VCU
George Washington
Hackensack
Nova MD
Penn State
Quinnipiac
SLU
TCU
Tulane
Wake Forest
Vermont
Tufts

Your DO list is fine.
Doesn't NYMC have pretty high average MCAT.