WAMC/School List Recommendations [520/NY/3.9] ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StopCodon

Reaction score
  1. cGPA 3.92 sGPA 3.89
  2. 1 attempt 520 (131/128/129/132)
  3. New York and New Jersey (Will likely claim residency in NY)
  4. White Male
  5. Hunter College (transfer)
  6. 877** Hours medical assistant in a small clinic, 121 volunteer hours critical care+189 psychiatric unit
  7. No research experience.
  8. Family medicine 53 hrs, cardiology 28 hours. Same clinic for both. Possibly one more before submission in developmental pediatrics
  9. 200 hrs crisis text line, ~206 hours early intervention program for toddlers (ongoing+250 projected)
  10. Working at family business during medical leave year and throughout college (1128 hours). Playing guitar.
  11. Deans list every semester + summa cum laude
  12. Worried about lack of research, obviously will hurt my chances at many schools but am open to applying broadly in just about any area. My writing focus is service oriented.
  13. I lack a committee letter and my school is known for it. It is known to be a rigorous process to get one, if it makes any difference. Also did not use their letter packet service, the packet has no input from the premedical advisement office. I opted to use individual letters.

School list:

-Albany
-Einstein
-Boston University
-Rosalind Franklin
-Cooper @ Rowan
-Hofstra
-Drexel
-Eastern Virginia
-Emory
-Quinnipiac
-Hackensack
-Icahn
-Jacobs School @ Buffalo
-Temple
-NYMC
-Northwestern
-Nova Southeastern
-Ohio State
-Penn state
-Stonybrook
-Rush
-Rutgers Medical and RWJS
-Sidney Kimmel
-Upstate
-Downstate
-Brown
-Tufts
-Tulane
-Cincinatti
-Colorado
-UMiami
-UPitt
-Rochester
-UVirginia
-Weill Cornell
--------------------------------
Added: WashU St. Louis, USF Morsani

I realize some of these may be unrealistic, but am happy to remove any of these and add any others.

Thank you in advance for your time. Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  1. cGPA 3.92 sGPA 3.89
  2. 1 attempt 520 (131/128/129/132)
  3. New York and New Jersey (Will likely claim residency in NY)
  4. White Male
  5. Hunter College (transfer)
  6. 977 Hours medical assistant in a small clinic, 121 volunteer hours critical care+189 psychiatric unit
  7. No research experience.
  8. Family medicine 53 hrs, cardiology 28 hours. Same clinic for both. Possibly one more before submission in developmental pediatrics
  9. 200 hrs crisis text line, 206 hours early intervention program for toddlers (ongoing+250 projected)
  10. Working at family business during medical leave year and throughout college (1128 hours). Playing guitar.
  11. Deans list every semester + summa cum laude
  12. Worried about lack of research, obviously will hurt my chances at many schools but am open to applying broadly in just about any area. My writing focus is service oriented.
  13. I lack a committee letter and my school is known for it. It is known to be a rigorous process to get one, if it makes any difference. Also did not use their letter packet service, the packet has no input from the premedical advisement office. I opted to use individual letters.

School list:

-Albany
-Einstein
-Boston University
-Rosalind Franklin
-Cooper @ Rowan
-Hofstra
-Drexel
-Eastern Virginia
-Emory
-Quinnipiac
-Hackensack
-Icahn
-Jacobs School @ Buffalo
-Temple
-NYMC
-Northwestern
-Nova Southeastern
-Ohio State
-Penn state
-Stonybrook
-Rush
-Rutgers Medical and RWJS
-Sidney Kimmel
-Upstate
-Downstate
-Brown
-Tufts
-Tulane
-Cincinatti
-Colorado
-UMiami
-UPitt
-Rochester
-UVirginia
-Weill Cornell

I realize some of these may be unrealistic, but am happy to remove any of these and add any others.

Thank you in advance for your time. Any guidance is greatly appreciated!
Can you elaborate on what your role was in the early intervention program? Textline is good but it's not what schools are looking for so much nowadays. You definitely do not need more shadowing

The good news is that research is not quite as important as clinical and non-clinical experiences. That being said, I'm not sure your app really fits into a "service heavy" bucket given the lack of clarity about your hours. For those reasons I'd remove Rush from your list, which will expect several hundred-thousands of hours.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the insight! I'll remove Rush.

I volunteer at a local non-profit with kids 18-36 months who have developmental delays (cerebral palsy, autism, low-muscle tone, dyspraxia, speech delays, etc). The place is mostly staffed with occupational therapists, speech therapists, and physical therapists. Typically I'll ask OTs about the child's condition, sit with them to figure out what they enjoy, then find ways I can slowly build upon their strengths+work on building new skills. I have a good letter from the program and close ties with everyone there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Remove Penn State, Drexel and Nova since they will "yield protect" with your stats. You could add these schools:
Boston University
USF Morsani
Washington University (in St. Louis)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm unsure about Tulane, Colorado and Cincinnati when it comes to geographic fit. Brown has a reputation that it prefers other Ivy+ applications, so check with students attending there.

Reactions: 1 user
Remove Penn State, Drexel and Nova since they will "yield protect" with your stats. You could add these schools:
Boston University
USF Morsani
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Thanks! Didn't know yield protection would be an issue with my stats but looking at the MSAR spreads it makes sense. WashU St Louis looks great!
I'm unsure about Tulane, Colorado and Cincinnati when it comes to geographic fit. Brown has a reputation that it prefers other Ivy+ applications, so check with students attending there.
Appreciate the heads up! I'll do some research on brown. I fell in love with the Colorado campus. Its beautiful, have a few friends that live out there, and love to ski so I will still apply just in case.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users